Colors for me...

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
mariposa

Colors for me...

Post by mariposa » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Well, I'm new to this mineral make-up craze... and I'm excited. I was introduced to it at the mall by a different company that was way too overpriced, so I found SN and am in my glory. I'm not usually a make-up wearer, save on bad days when I have acne I put on a foundation (thickly) to conceal my ugly face. LOL. Well, I have been through lots of foundations to find one I like at the stores because they never quite match my skintone- usually too pink or too pale or... but never just right! And when I find a foundation that is passable as near to my skin color, I stick with it will the container is empty and then find that the brand has discontinued making my color. I've had no luck with make-up and it's been an expensive frustration for me. I apparently have a weird skin tone! So today I got my foundation samples from SN and was SOOO excited!!! I have concluded that I'm a mixture of 1 warm with 1 ebony and about 6 ivory scoops. I might add more ivory to use as a concealer for my zits or to lighten up for winter months, but I have a tad of Italian in me which makes my skin an odd color for typical American make-up brands. I was so excited to come up with my color mix... when it was finished being mixed it looked like a bowl of Cinnamon Sugar... so I've determined that I'm Cinnamon colored :) Finally a color that matches! And I like that it's so much healthier than my other make-ups! Thanks!!!!

So now that we have my foundation, I was wondering what colors you would recommend for eyes and blush? I got sample of Vixen, but it might be a tad too red for me, but I don't like to look super pink either (it brings out my uneven skin tones and acne)... suggestions for a neutral but slightly noticeable color? I got Breathe for eyes, and I love it because I love purples, but it's probably not the best for my skin tone. I love shimmers too. I'm looking for one fun and bold shadow and one everyday wash... my eyes are a brown/amber/green mix. thoughts?
~*mikie*~

Re: Colors for me...

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi,Mariposa! Several of us use equal parts ebony & warm gold (I do), so you're not an odd skintone around here,LOL! For your eyes, I'd take a gander at Brimstone ~ wonderful color. It's "mate" is Fire,lol, but for an allover wash I can't break away from Hint..& it's *great* with Brimstone.
mikie
6k mikie.jpg
6k mikie.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:20 pm

First of all, your little one is adorable! And you have a lovely family.

I know exactly what you mean about finding your perfect foundation. I have my own challenges. I am like you but about two shades lighter. For blush, since you are not fond of pink, try Maybe Baby or Embrace. You also might like Climax or Lovelace.

For eyeshadow I understand you are only looking for a few. One of the favorites for an all over wash is Cashmere, but I think you will like Brown Sugar, too. We do have a category that lists some of the ones used for all over, now, on the website. For fun, the sky is the limit. If you like blues try Sizzzle, for a green try Sage. You did say you like purples. Plush is very pretty, and would also go well with Cashmere.

Mikie's suggestions of Brimstone and Hint are good, too. It is so hard to narrow them down!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
EtherealJane

Post by EtherealJane » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:25 pm

I'm pretty new too, so I don't have a TON of advice, but I wanted to pop in and say that you and your family look so great together! I love that you both have long hair. I'm growing mine out at the moment and sometimes it gets so frustrating I just want to chop it off, but gorgeous hair like you both have is what makes me persevere!

I do have to vouch for brimstone. It was one of the colors I got when Karen was running her eyeshadow samples, and it's very pretty!
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:01 am

You and your family are lovely- that pic is just adorable, and you all look so happy! Nope- you aren't alone at all- my cousin is 1/2 Sicilian, Scottish and German- we do the ebony/warm gold combo for her too.

Everyone gave you fabulous recommendations! I just got done re-alphabetizing the shadows on the shelves (all 100+ of them)- so I'm a little too full of recommendations at the moment. I've been into Brown Sugar lately- mainly because I just made it, and it's fun to play with the new stuff.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:37 am

Hi Mariposa!
I bet you just *feel the love* in here...huh? LOL. I actually also have a long haired hubby also...he is 6'6 tall, and native american, and his his hair is dark and halfway down his back. That is a really cute pic! Welcome to the forum!
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
frond

Post by frond » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 am

heya, I'm a 11ivory/1ebony/1warm/buttery gold .... so you're not alone!
as for blushes.. I love Climax and Lovelace - one as a peachy/neutral shade, the other to add a dash of pink flush to my cheeks
for e/s.. well, you can't go wrong with Danny and Sandy. They have become my go to colors when I'm too lazy to think of what to use.
have fun and welcome to SN!
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:57 pm

As scary as Poly looks, I've found it to be an amazingly wearable colour - and I'm as pale as they come. With your colouring and eyes, I bet it would rock :)