bad news/grand news

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
ladycattat

bad news/grand news

Post by ladycattat » Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm

This may be a little wordy, so those pressed for time should read fast!!!!
Well.....the bad-ish news.....as some may know....for the past month or so I have been feeling generally cruddy in all kinds of ways including multiple doctor visits, a trip to the E.R, several bloodlettings(lab tests....my own personal hell) and CT scans, you name it. You just get to the point where you don't even want people to ask how you are, because you just don't even want to tell them how lousy you feel. In addition, I have been supporting a dear friend thru a very stressful situation, and babysitting her son nearly every day for close to a month also. Needless to say.....I am at my wits end. Well, finally, today...got a diagnosis. Fibromyalgia. Wow....I thought that was an old people'd disease. LOL. The doctor was soooo nice....he actually has it....so he gets it....we went over some treatment plans....and got some meds. He says I should start feeling a LOT better really soon!

Which is good, since June 19.....I set sail for the Mexican Riviera! It's my parent's 50th anniversary, and they are taking our whole family on a 7 day Carnival cruise to Puerta Vallerto and Cabo San Lucas! We were supposed to be able to dock in Mazatlan, but not now with the troubles they are having there. Anyway, it will be my Muz and Pop, my hubby and myself, both our kids, and my mom's 2 sisters. Each of our kids will bunk with an auntie.....so hubby and I will have ~~~privacy~~~! Whoo Hoo.
Anyway, the ship is the Splendor, which is kinda funny....it's the same ship that had all the big problems and had to be towed last fall. They have totally fixed it and revamped it, and I am sooo looking forward to it!
If things had been normal, and my younger brother hadn't passed away in October of 2009, we would of course given my parents a big ole party. But things happen, and my parents didn't want to do a party, and this is what they wanted to do to celebrate.
Thanks for reading my novella!
xx
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
tizzylou

Re: bad news/grand news

Post by tizzylou » Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Laurie, sorry to read that you have Fibromyalgia, but given the right meds and treatment it shouldn't bother you too much. And no. as you found out, it's not an old person's diease, it actually affects more younger people than old.

Cruise sounds like fun, that is something I would like to do for a anniversary, rather than the 25th or 50th party. I'm not a huge party type of person, but would still like to mark the occasion with something special. Since DH and I have only been married 6 years this fall, I can start saving up and do something like this for my 10 or 15th.
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue May 24, 2011 9:25 pm

Hugs to you, Laurie. It is so good to know what you are up against, and great that you have a doctor that understands. Those things will go a long way. I sure hope you are feeling better soon.

I agree the cruise sounds like a blast! I hope you have a wonderful time!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 pm

I'm glad you got a diagnosis. Hopefully the tx will work? You must be exhausted with everything going on right now.

Have fun on the cruise? Maybe you'll be able to rest up?
fairyfli

Post by fairyfli » Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey there,
I feel for you... I also have fibromyalgia and talk about a tough thing to diagnose! I do not take any perscriptions but I understand the constant tiredness and just not feeling good! If you ever want to talk let me know! have fun on your cruise sounds awesome! :)
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed May 25, 2011 9:03 pm

The cruise sounds like a heck of a lot of fun, and such a cool way to celebrate a lifetime together :) A party is cool, but a small blow-out celebration with your nearest and dearest sounds just perfect. Congrats to them!

The fibro- not so much fun. I'm sorry to hear that it's happening to you, but happy you're in the right hands with a good doc.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
darkhairedgirl

Post by darkhairedgirl » Fri May 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Glad you were able to get a diagnosis! It always helps to know what is wrong, that way you can do something about it. My Dr. thinks I have fibro too, and I'm only 26 so it's definitely not an old lady disease! :) I can definitely relate to feeling crappy and tired all of the time.
Have fun on your cruise!! It sounds like a blast! :D
ChristineLynnP

Post by ChristineLynnP » Sat May 28, 2011 12:58 pm

Have fun on your cruise!

I'm glad you know what's wrong with you. Fibromyalgia sucks, my co-worker has it, but the way she looks at it is, at least it isn't actually damaging her system. Sure she feels crappy, which I can totally relate to, but it isn't like having, say, Rheumatoid Arthritis or something that really does weaken and wear your system down. This is just your body sending all kinds of weird false signals, but if you find the right medication for you, you will start feeling a lot better, and pretty quickly too. Just remember to take it easy and know your limits. That seems to be her big problem, is that she just keeps going beyond her limits and can't let herself relax. She's very high-strung. I hope you know how to relax :D
Check us out on etsy: www.titanweave.etsy.com
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Sat May 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Ladies, thanks so much for your support. I think for me, just knowing what was wrong with me was half the battle. It was a little difficult to prescribe meds for me as I also take meds for my bipolar disorder, but my doc found one, and I have been on it since Tuesday. I am actually starting to feel quite a bit better already, and have more energy! It is bit of a learning curve with the medication.....as it tends to make me verry shleeeepy, so I am learning to time it right so that when the sleepiness hits me, it's bedtime and that is ok with me.
And when I said I thought it was *an old person's disease*, I may have offended some. If so, I apologize. I was trying to be funny....at 49.....there are times I consider myself *an old person*.
But then sometimes I feel like I am 13 and have no clue about anything.....
Take good care,
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
lov2read68

Post by lov2read68 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:06 am

Laurie - I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis but the good news is with a diagnosis you can move forward. I also have fibro mixed with a few other things. Glad you have found an Rx that is helping you. Balance is key - it applies to everything - medications, activity level, etc. Be patient with yourself - what worked one day may not work the next. So glad you have an understanding dr. who is working with you - that is a huge plus! Definitely not an 'old lady' disease - that was my impression too - until I was diagnosed with it at 40. Feel free to PM me with questions or just to talk. Sometimes it is helpful to talk to someone who walks in the 'same shoes'.
The cruise sounds like it will be a blast! What a great way to celebrate a lifetime together! Glad to see that things are looking better for your friend. I'm sure you've been a great source of comfort for them.
Kristi