Need your opinion on my videos - thanks!

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
Die Marchen

Need your opinion on my videos - thanks!

Post by Die Marchen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Dear ladies!

Tomorrow I am releasing my app that I was developing over a year. But that was nothing compared to the marketing hell I am rushing in. It is comme il faut to make a demo video so my husband and I spent an enormous time on creating some videos - #1, #2 and #3 in our life. #1 was not great at all :-) so we created #2 focused on features and friends-fellow developers adviced to make another one focusing on the content. We did #3. And before the release we are getting such an incredible feedback from it is great to it is awful! Could you please take a look and tell me what you think?

Try to answer a few questions please:

- Does it make you want to learn more about it?
- Which one do you like?
- any comment?

here are they both - http://www.youtube.com/user/AppGradeTeam

Thanks a lot! My eyes are not fresh anymore.
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
The mix is pale and does't look yellow
karen
Site Admin

Re: Need your opinion on my videos - thanks!

Post by karen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Breathe...it will all be ok. They're looking pretty darn spiffy. How about a lullaby for the music- goes with bedtime stories. Just let people know the key benefits- lots of illustrated stories in a portable format. Great for bed time, times when you're waiting with your child- like at the doctor's office etc. Instant child entertainment at your fingertips- anytime, anywhere. Change the font size, and color- great for kids with vision issues, or learning disabilities- or grandparents. Are they original stories? Written by whom?? Illustrated by whom? Reviews, and testimonials help immensely too. Focus on people's frequently asked questions for your marketing, and you'll be fine.

Sleep first though....a good night's sleep works like magic.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 pm

In general, I think it's a really cool app and the videos get the point across of what it is. Overall, I preferred the longer video. I'm torn between being a hardcore lover of fairytales and someone who completely shuns new phone technology.

What I liked:

The pictures are adorable. Are these original "clever tales" or traditional fairytales?
The features are very cool, being able to have day/night settings and play with font and color.
I did understand what the app was and how it works. It does peak interest.

What I didn't like:

I, personally, really disliked the music in both videos though i marginally preferred the upbeat music on the longer video. Both music choices felt too adult for me (Piano and Jazz?). Think Disney, Leapfrog, Playskool, Sesame Street. freekidsmusic.com

There was a lot a lot of flipping of screens and it felt kind of dizzying and excessive. Is it meant to be an advertisement/interest video or a tutorial? Both the long and short videos felt like tutorials to me. It might be better to show an actual child/child and parent interacting with the app?
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:33 am

Thank you for the insights!

The stories are original, the artwork is original and the music.

It was written in the itunes description, press release and I thought I could tell something else in the video. Just show pics... Personally I prefer the longer one too, but my fellow marketers insist on the short one. So I decided let it be 2))

Some effects were to hide our unability to make flawless cuts between "episodes"

The app doesn't have interactivity, no narration and it was designed for reading together and this tales bring up questions to be discussed kids and grown ups together - and I wanted to explain it before people buy and say - no games, what a bad app.

This app was primarily created for my son. These are tales I like, I have even started a blog on my home site http://app-grade.com/blog/our-first-post/ -decided to explain how this app was created.

The music... it was created by my father-in-law, jazz composer. Not kids music... Our point was that there is a lot of "music for kids", but kids' taste should be educated too. This is not very grown-up music, it is for the ones who want something different. As most kids' app are like twins... or cousins :-)

Do you think our points make sense?

Thank you for the kind words again!
Current ratio, Sept. 13: 1 Ebony : 1 Buttery Gold : 15 All Purpose : 5 Ivory : 2 Yellow : 1 Liberty : 1 Beach Bunny
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:30 am

Irina.....i think it's genius!
I liked video #2 MUCH better.....as it tended to really highlight the app features. I definately think there would be a market for this.....and I would rather entertain my kids with this than *talking TomCat* or something else. I think my 8 year old son would love it!
Best of Luck!
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Thank you, my dear supportive friends!

I thought I have answered yesterday, but forgot to press Submit... Will try to avoid it in the future.

Now I have some news.
I have released and got nice reviews on review sites I respect, but... no downloads. Most purchases are by my friends... I have many friends, but that is not the way I want to run business :-)

So I have totally failed by far (still cannot believe it) and all the efforts..ughhh

But I have read a wonderful (awfully wonderful) story of a failure and there is such a thing - "Don't fear failure because this is where you get the most powerful and useful learning. The UK investment community still hasn't recognised that success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm. Each failure tells you more about yourself and the world around you. Use this knowledge in your future ventures and don't let it dent your confidence just try not to repeat earlier mistakes."
Trying to follow this wise advice! And keep going.
stagemama

Post by stagemama » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 pm

I loved the music, it's perfect, soft and relaxing. Unlike some kids' music, this can be listened to over and over. Nor would the music disturb someone nearby. I too, can think of so many places where it can be extremely useful. It would certainly take up the waiting time with small children, waiting at an appointment, waiting for grandpa to come out of walmart, waiting for dinner to arrive......
I also like that it is on your phone and always right there. The illustrations are simply beautiful and the youtube makes me want to order it, if I had an iphone.
I think people need to see examples of where it would make their lives easier, and better. We think creatively, yet not everyone does.
How much better for little ones to be read to, than popping in a video, or a game.
Good luck with your project.....
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 pm

What do you mean failure??????? It's day 2, and you have multiple 5 star reviews. You have a product- that's 10% of the business. Now the real work begins- and I know you're ready to put your feet up and take a break, but this is where you rebound and get the word out. It's defeating to think that this is the beginning, but I've released enough products in my day to know that this is the absolute truth. Dive back in- there's nowhere to go but up!

Plus you have great stories, and a good code base. You can do a lot with that- why not make a Kindle version?? A lot of grandparents don't necessarily have iPhones, but there are a lot of Kindle and Nook users. Later versions of your app could use classic stories etc.

Talk to me in a year about failure- not day 2.
Die Marchen

Post by Die Marchen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Karen thank you for the right push!

Well, reviews are by my friends - I am lucky to have ones :-)
Things look little better now, but I am astonished we are featured at many places, but have very few downloads when we have the most visibility we could imagine. We'll implement some more features and release some good old classics on the same code.

I was dreaming to wake up millionaire. I have just realized that I really hoped. Secretly. To tell my mom - I am successful!!! (she thinks I am doing something stupid and can't forgive me for leaving the university job)

But yes, it not the time to feel sorry for myself but lots of stuff to do as I want my investments back! All the time I could spend playing with my son or my lippies ans shadows! :-) I will get it back!

And the new design of the forum is so new, it is time for the good changes.

Thank you again!
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:22 am

Congrats! That's good news...all you needed was a bit of momentum. I remember back when we did software I spent weeks and weeks getting it "just right"- it took ages, but it was worth it, and I learned a lot. Just keep at it- think of it in terms of parenting. You've just had a baby, now you need to feed it, send out the birth announcements etc...

Your Mom will come around. My parents were worried when I quit my day job too, but now my Mom has 16 posts on the forum! Success can be measured in a lot of terms- money is just one tiny tiny part of life.