pressing eyeshadows

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
jess19741975

pressing eyeshadows

Post by jess19741975 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Has anyone tried to press eyeshadows I am looking for a tutorial using these products. I love the colors but I am a klutz and make a mess with the jars and I just think I do better with pans. anyone have any experience doing this?
JenW

Re: pressing eyeshadows

Post by JenW » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:26 pm

I have tried pressing in the past. In order to press a mineral powder with no binders (MAC has binders in it) you have to add some type of oil (jojoba or fractionated coconut oil). It can make the color a little darker, and the amount it presses into is scary. You lose a ton of volume. I found I just got better with practice with the jars. IMO the pressing was not worth the effort and the amount of product lost.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 pm

I've had moderate success with hand sanitzer gel- but I'm with Jen- it's a mess, and kind of depressing because you end up with just a little bit of pressed. Cheap aloe gel with carbomer would probably work too as long as it has a preservative in it.

If you want to try it- pick your least favorite shade, add a couple of drops of sanitizer to the jar (if you add too much they get too hard, and they're a lot harder to use)- stir it with a toothpick, and then tap it on a counter to level it. Work over a clean sheet of paper so you can deal with the escaped powder. Then just leave it to dry overnight with the lid off and you're all set. The mattes seem to do better than the sparkle shades. For general personal use- I don't do this- it was more of an experiment than anything.

I also did it with foundation- but you need A TON (which I would love to sell you- but you really need about 1/2 cup of it to make it worth your while).
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
jess19741975

Post by jess19741975 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:31 am

"I also did it with foundation- but you need A TON (which I would love to sell you- but you really need about 1/2 cup of it to make it worth your while)."
LOL Karen, :D

I just found a recent tutorial by Enkore on Youtube on this exact thing. I think it would be a fun experiment in a MR WIZARD kind of way. I probably would not try it with the foundation as I do not want to add any oils to the minerals as I am sure my newly fickle 6 month pregnant hormonal face will react. but I may try it with the shadows. just to get it out of my system.....Jess