Have you been surprised?

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
~*mikie*~

Have you been surprised?

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:04 am

Have you been surprised to find that you can wear a color you *thought* you couldn't wear? I am going to try that today!
mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
Rhys

Re: Have you been surprised?

Post by Rhys » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Indeed I have. As well as combos I thought I'd never be able to pull off. Never thought I'd be able to wear orangey eyeshadow, but I've found a couple of coral-like shades with definite orange hues that actually do work. Truffle and me didn't get on, til I added some to my brow powder. It isn't a good eyeshadow colour for me, for whatever reason, but it's a great ingredient in my reddish-brown brow powder.

So tell us what you did and how it worked. I wish I had a camera, and that you were more handy with one - I'd love to see some FOTD pics in here.
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 am

Well, I LOVE green as a color ~ in clothing & jewelry ;) & I tend toward cooooooool greens like emerald green..cool & clear. Once a certain warmth is introduced I shy away. For that reason, I'd ordered about every green of Karen's that I thought I could pull off. Gator Gold was not among them...figured it was too warm for me. I paired it w/Luxe yesterday ~ 2 colors I "thought" were too warm for me ~ popped some Bare over pupil, browbone,tear duct area & it was great! So that was an interesting little experiment ~ putting something neutral as highlight made the difference! Realized as I was doing eyeliner that the e/l color could also provide the needed balance! Will I be looking at colors with a different view now? You betcha!

Do you not have a pic? Get one!!! :D

mikie
~*mikie*~

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:43 am

Yes, ma'am! I'm going to Florida to have my throat cut next week (reason I'm in America, really - and yup, I'm down to the panic and terror stage, I would have to get the friggin disease that there are ten cases of a year of in Canada so it's here for treatment), so I'll see what I can do for pictures afterwards - if y'all won't be scared of my big neck bandage :D

The doctor did say he'd give me a polaroid of my tumour, I could post that...nah, maybe not.

I can't wear Luxe, that one is way warm for me even though I love the colour and I can get away with some other goldy-bronze stuff. But it sounds like you solved the 'warm' problem on the rest of them - bet the Gator was really pretty on you too!
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Mikie,
I think it is time for me to step out of the normal neutrals, purples and pinks. I need to go green and blue (maybe not both together). I am definitely going to try that this week. I'll let you know what I think!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:51 pm

I was trying to create a conservative eye today. Really, I was. I picked out Bare, Idolize, and Taupetastic. So....Idolize on the lid to up above where a crease would be (do it to the crease if you have one), then Bare from where the Idolize left off up to the browbone.

Too sparkly for a conservative look, I thought, so I damped my flat brush and ran it lightly over my lids - sometimes when you do that it kind of tones down and blends - just a slightly damp brush, though, not a heavy one - and this is going over the shadow once it's already on, not applying it - makes it look like fairy dust.

So far, so good. Foiled Taupetastic HAD to be the liner, cos I love it, and it is so pretty foiled - a lively grey with a little bit of sparkle, but that really doesn't do it justice. Try this one, you won't regret it. So that got applied wet to the outer half of my lower lashline.

But something was missing. I wandered back into my alcove, found Plush - and decided that was it (Karen, if you're reading this, you NEED to make a gel liner similar to that colour). I foiled the Plush as a topliner, then decided to take it to the lower part of my browbone (my pretend crease, in other words) and carry it to the outer 'v'. And it was so pretty I lined the inner half of my lower lashline with foiled Plush, too -- ooh, so nice, foiled Taupetastic sliding into foiled Plush.

It's really, really pretty :D

Not sure how it'll pass on the conservative scale, but you've really got to try some of these together, they're SO gorgeous!
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:57 pm

Rhys ~If Luxe is too too for you ;) maybe try a *touch* of it sparked off something you're really comfortable wearing. Today I have on Lavender & Thistle ~ had to be careful w/Thistle because of the reddish bent of it ~ so I used Storm Cloud to counterbalance & used that as a liner top & bottom.

Jen, bet you'd look dynamite with a touch of green like in the < >...Moss is particularly nice ~ *&* fab as a liner!

mikie
~*mikie*~

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:48 pm

I might give it another try, Mikie - just it's VERY bronze, and despite a little wizardry in the foundation department, I'm very pink. I often recommend Luxe and Plush for girls with warm-toned skin, and I love Plush - Luxe might work with something like Idolize, too. Or I'll just look through the e/s's and see what strikes my fancy - it'd be great with the right green, too.
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 pm

Mikie,
I did go a little 'green' with my shadow for a day. I did Mrs.SweetieBear's eye. It had Gator Gold and Caperberry in it (at least those were the ones I had of her combo!) I definitely need to try the more green and blue colors. So far the bluest I get is sapphire liner. I am working my way up to it!!! :D
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
short_skirts

Post by short_skirts » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:50 pm

While I wasn't really surprised, based on the description on the website, I do have to say that Cashmere truly is one of those colours that you can just wear, on it's own, and look great! I think it's that colour that I was looking for...a bit pinky, a bit peachy, a bit brown...just goes with everything, and looks great! LOVE it!