My turn, in need of good vibes

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
ChristineLynnP

My turn, in need of good vibes

Post by ChristineLynnP » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:03 am

I'll make a long story short. My fiance has been unemployed for just over 2 years now, and it hasn't been for lack of trying. We've been through a lot in this time, and he tends to really get depressed over it. It's hard, but I try to stay upbeat so he'll stay upbeat. I think we both know the other one really isn't so optimistic, but we'll fall apart if we dwell too much on being worried. His unemployment ran out a 3 months ago. My company hasn't done raises in a few years now. In a week or two, we officially won't have enough money for bills. And there's nothing left to trim from our budget to compensate. I just applied for a loan against my 401K and I HATE the idea of that. That money won't be earning interest until I pay it back, but I'll be paying interest on it to ING. He's in a dying (or already dead?) field- industrial. He's been a mechanic or forklift driver or a welder, always in industrial companies, since he was 17 and still too young to be doing that. There are very few jobs like that in this country any more, since the companies are moving overseas (which is why he's unemployed to begin with). He had a promising interview set up by a staffing agency a few weeks ago, and we've been waiting all this time for the contract between the company and agency to be finalized and a decision to be made. He's more than qualified to do anything in that company, which is the same type of company he was laid off from to begin with. We're supposed to hear something today, but who knows, today could turn into next week yet again. So we could really use the good vibes right now.
Check us out on etsy: www.titanweave.etsy.com
JenK

Re: My turn, in need of good vibes

Post by JenK » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:58 am

Fingers crossed!!!!
sewwies

Post by sewwies » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14 am

*Good Vibes!* I hope it all works out, I'm sure it will! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you both x
~~Sarah~~
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:16 am

Will pray for favour for you both. Maybe the breakthrough will come by thinking outside the box? To get you through this patch until he gets the job he is trained for, maybe something radically different will come along? In our very rural village, there's an optician working as a post deliverer, three medical doctors unemployed (yes, really), I know of a bank manager who got made redundant and hasn't worked since. When I got sick and couldn't put in the hours managing the hotel, I got a short term job cleaning the high school at night. I won't even mention how few teachers are still teaching, or even employed (some through stress).

I know at first it appears like a compromise at best and a humiliating come-down at worst, but there's honour in laying aside pride and taking whatever job comes along to get you through. I'm not saying that's where you're at, but rather, I'm building up to making the point that in taking a different temporary job, you get to meet a whole different group of people - through them and the fresh connections made there might come a new opportunity for new work. When your current contacts are exhausted, you place yourself in a fresh environment, do your best to let people see you're a good worker and keep the conversation open asking if they know of other jobs coming up.

There's always the serendipity of being taken in an entirely new direction in life, too. There are precious few 'cradle-to-grave' careers nowadays and one businessman was telling me that it's expected that an adult will entirely retrain four times during the course of their career now. On one hand, it's a disappointment, but on the other, transferable skills are an exceptionally strong asset and very attractive to an employer.

Best wishes.
ChristineLynnP

Post by ChristineLynnP » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks guys.

Cupcake- I understand what you're saying but believe me, he isn't being prideful. I read the other day that there are at least 6 applicants for every 1 job right now. It's hard when you've been in one field for almost 17 years to make a break into a new field. Nothing is "beneath" him right now, he's applying anywhere and everywhere possible. The sad thing is, he's getting a lot of places telling him he's overqualified and they know he'll just find something else and move on quickly. What a lot of businesses don't realize is that when there are no jobs to be had, NO ONE is overqualified, because there is just no alternative.
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:27 am

Aye, it's a thoroughly rotten situation to be in. (Not saying he's being prideful, btw). Rather, that sometimes you can find hope in the most unlikely of places, in situations you'd never have thought to look at.

In the UK, the last stat I took from the NHS nursing job vacancy website was that there are 70 applicants per nursing job. On the BBC news, for graduate jobs this month, there are approximately 85 Bachelors degree or above qualified applicants for every entry-level post vacancy. I can't imagine how many people chase the unskilled 'regular' jobs.

One way to counteract the 'over-qualified' argument is to show a willingness to invest in the company rather than just take a job there. Ask for a fixed term contract, say for example 3 years with development reviews every 6 months - that shows willingness to commit. Ask about departmental structure, where skills can be diversified: if he's overqualified, perhaps he can 'mentor' other employees for a few hours per week to extend and develop their skills, thus being of additional benefit to the company (and ingratiating himself with the workers!). Rather than hearing "you're overqualified" and fearing the worst, turn it around into an opportunity to show that because they've just said you're very valuable and they can't give you the job you deserve, you'll take the job you can get but still give them your full potential for no extra charge. You can bet your boots that when then "good" job comes up, a few months down the line, guess who'll be in line for it before it gets advertised!
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:14 am

I will keep my fingers crossed for you Christine!

I absolutely hate that whole overqualified thing, it drives me mad. I have ran into it myself several times. I moved down south this past year, and have heard the recruiters tell me way too many times, "the company liked your resume, but they went with another candidate because they felt you were overqualified so they didn't want to even interview you". And sometimes I really didn't even think I was overqualified at all. I've had companies say no because they think I'd get too bored there. How do they know? Do they really think I love a super fast paced crazy work environment? A little boredom is not so bad at all in my opinion. Anyways, that's enough about that.
My mom just interviewed today for a job down here to come be near me (and her future grandchild), and the position was a ways below her, so I really hope they don't give her the whole "overqualified" shove off...

Best of luck! I hope you guys hear back soon, I know waiting around can be so nerve wrecking.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Hoping you hear great news today, Christine!
xx
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Sending lots of good vibes to you and your honey Christine!

I have several good friends in similar positions--overqualified, out of work for the last 1-2 years, and can't seem to find anyplace that will hire them. One even applied to Starbucks, but when you have "executive news producer" on your resume, no one is gonna give you a go... And in industries like theirs and your fiance, moving to where the jobs are is often the only way to find work in their field. But when you've already burned through your savings trying to tread water or you cannot relocate, moving isn't an option either. *sighs* There are just no good answers.

You have all the good vibes I can stir up today! I really, really hope this comes through for you guys.
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
ChristineLynnP

Post by ChristineLynnP » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Oxana- I agree, a little boredom isn't so bad at all. I hate summertime with a passion now because we are so busy at work, and though of course we have busy days throughout the year, I embrace boredom the rest of the year. It keeps me here, along with high 401k matching, holidays off, and a nice amount of vacation time, though I know I could find a higher-paying job eventually elsewhere but I don't do well in a hectic environment. I'm sorry you had such a tough time of it though and I hope your mom has an easier time finding something. I forget, did you ever find something? Eric used to live where you do, and he moved because at the time, the job situation there was as bad as it is here now, if not worse. Seeing what everyone is going through here, I really hope your state's employment situation has improved over these past 9 1/2 years, instead of getting worse.

And thank you everyone. It helps a lot to have somewhere to go to talk about it and people pulling for us. If/when I hear anything, I'll share the news as soon as I get a chance.