Micronized Zinc Oxide

maverickldr

Micronized Zinc Oxide

Post by maverickldr » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Can I add this to my moisturizer and get some sun protection? I found this piece below but I'm not a cosmetic chemist!

Zinc Oxides: Which One is Right for You?
Regular zinc oxide has a particle size of >200 nm (nanometer), a visible whitening effect on the skin, is water dispersible, gives great coverage in makeup products and lip balms, and offers good protection in baby care products.
Micronized zinc oxide has a particle size of <200nm (mean 86nm), has a minimal whitening effect on the skin, is water dispersible, offers superior sun protection but does not offer coverage in makeup products.
Dr. C
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. -- Einstein
JenW

Re: Micronized Zinc Oxide

Post by JenW » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:32 pm

If you were to try it (small batches, again) I would not rely on it as your sole source of sun protection. It is not tested and recommended for such an application on its own. I am sorry that I can't make recommendations beyond this.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:22 pm

I think I remember hearing something about not mixing physical and chemical sunscreens. So if your moisturizer has any SPF to it already and it chemical (not zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) then you probably should not. I think they just void each other out and so neither provides sun protection when mixed together. I'm not 100% sure though, I just remember hearing something to that effect.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
missyjean

Post by missyjean » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Is there a reason you shouldn't mix physical and chemical sunscreens?Tons of sunblocks have both in them...
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:37 am

missyjean wrote:Is there a reason you shouldn't mix physical and chemical sunscreens?Tons of sunblocks have both in them...
I have not found any primary sources of this information. But the general info out there is that uncoated titanium dioxide and zinc oxide make the chemical sunscreen ingredient avobenzone degrade much faster in light.

I can't say that the avobenzone cancels out the mineral sunscreen qualities, but most sources I read (again, none were primary sources of the information) indicated that mineral ingredients did affect avobenzone. And avobenzone is probably the most common ingredient in chemical sunscreens in the US.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com