Foundation recipe Help!

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
Aden

Foundation recipe Help!

Post by Aden » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 pm

I have always had a lot of trouble in the past with other brands trying to find a match to my skin tone, so I really want to make sure that I get it right with SN. I thought I was a cool tone but not sure that's exactly right, given the problems I have had trying out other MMU foundations. I have my sample foundation kit and am keen to get mixing!

I have light brown hair with some gold / reddish tones, green eyes and fair / light skin, with what I would call earthy brownish / yellow undertones. Probably more light brown than yellow though. The 'best' match I have found so far is Buff Fairly Light Neutral / Light Neutral in Everyday Minerals.

I really don't know whether to try the Ebony, Warm Gold or Buttery Gold in my first mix, so I really need some help here! Anyone have any ideas where I should start? :?
JenW

Re: Foundation recipe Help!

Post by JenW » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:40 pm

It sounds as though just yellow is not you. I do remember those foundations having a mostly beige with some yellow tone to them (I tried them myself ages ago.) I really think you would do well with just the Ebony as it really is pretty neutral. If you think it is a little dull, you can add a bit of the Buttery to 'warm it up' for you. Still, simple is good in my opinion. The Warm tends to have more golden undertone and yours is beige/yellow. You are probably going to end up between 1:9 and 1:11 total dark to White. Just remember not to put the sifter on until it is thoroughly mixed and tests well. The color may look a little light, but will warm up and continue blending together with your brush and on your skin. Once you figure out your ratio, I recommend Anne's tip of mixing in a small baggie as it thoroughly mixes more easily.

If you need any more help, let me know.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Aden

Post by Aden » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:51 pm

Jen W,

Thanks heaps for the reply. I am so keen to start mixing and trying it - I have read so many great things about this foundation! I will let you know how I go. Thanks again for the advice.
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:22 am

Aden~
mikie & TK.jpg
mikie & TK.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
This is 1:1 ebony/base + 1:1 warm gold/base. I'm fairly dark-complected but (once upon a time) had similar coloring in my younger days...brown hair that reddened in the sun, freckles, green eyes.
mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
Aden

Post by Aden » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:32 am

Thanks to Jen W and Mikie for your help. I ended up with a formula of 11 base to 1 Ebony and 1 Buttery gold (this may have been too much buttery gold hence why 11 of the base!). May still tweak this a little as time goes by, but then that's the beauty of this foundation, right! Jen you should get paid for doing this - you were so close at estimating my formula - I!m very impessed! Thanks again ladies.