Fashionista/Bobbi/Raindrops on Roses

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
clen3k

Fashionista/Bobbi/Raindrops on Roses

Post by clen3k » Thu May 06, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm pretty new to lippies. I've never been interested in wearing something on my lips until a couple of months ago when I received Aria in a swap and fell in LOVE with the formula.

I'm very very fair and a slightly yellow-y neutral. Pale grey-green eyes, dark red hair.

Aria is dark on me. Darker than my lips and kind of a mixture of brown/red/pink.

Exhibit A:

After that I ordered Rare Berry (pinkish red, adds a reddish tint to my lips), Bloom (kinda same darkness as my lips but pinker), Cultured (muddy pink), Mirage (true nude for me), Damsel (very very slightly darkens my lips and adds a pink tint), Very Berry (bright pink) and Truly (slightly tones down the pink in my lips and adds a shimmer).

I love them all! :) Very Berry is the most dramatic on me colour wise, and does not come out for workdays. It also as shimmery as I'm willing to go. And Cultured is my least favourite, because I think it's just a tad to brownish on me:

Exhibit B Image

My favourites are Damsel and Bloom. :mrgreen:

Now I've added Fashionista, Bobbi and Raindrops on Roses to my cart...

What are they really like? Do you think they might work with my skintone and hair? And are they close to any of the colours I already have?
egerandi

Re: Fashionista/Bobbi/Raindrops on Roses

Post by egerandi » Thu May 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Weeeeeell.... Bobbi is a plummier darker version of Cultured, at least on my lips. Fashionista is a statement, if you almost like Cultured, you will definitely like Fashionista. Raindrops didn't work for me, but I think with your red hair it will be perfect. Almost forgot: you need a tube of Centerfold ;)

Aria looks amazing on you, btw. I may just have to try it for myself :)
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:25 pm

I did some swatches in case they help. I don't have Fashionista though, but I threw in some other colors as well.
Top to Bottom:
(the colors on the left side of the others is Infatuation)
Mirage
Bobbi
Aria
Raindrops on Roses
Carnation
Peace
Verry Berry

Direct Sunlight:
Indoors by window:

Bobbi is like a nudish mauve color, not as mauve as something like Infatuation(which has shimmer), but more like a mix of Infatuation and Mirage or something like that, but without the shimmer.
Raindrops on Roses does have some shimmer, a similar color with less shimmer is Carnation(it is a bit more pink, while RoR is more red). Both of these are pretty opaque.
I also threw in Peace because that's one of my faves :)

EDIT: For got to add, I don't have Cultured but I used to have a sample, and Bobbi is pretty similar to it, but with a touch of mauve.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Thu May 06, 2010 7:05 pm

egerandi wrote:Weeeeeell.... Bobbi is a plummier darker version of Cultured, at least on my lips. Fashionista is a statement, if you almost like Cultured, you will definitely like Fashionista. Raindrops didn't work for me, but I think with your red hair it will be perfect. Almost forgot: you need a tube of Centerfold ;)
Aria looks amazing on you, btw. I may just have to try it for myself :)

Centerfold, definitely!!! I am in love with it, too! I love Raindrops on Roses, but it is a little brighter. I am super fair, with dark hair and dark eyes. How about Soft?
~Tracy~
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm going to be the odd one out and not recommend Centerfold. Sounds like Mirage already works for you as nude, and Centerfold is also a brown-nude, but very very sheer. With your lips being as pigmented as they are, its difficult to guess what it will truly show up as. Most likely it will darken them a tad and add a touch of brown. But you said Cultured is your least favorite because it looks brownish, so that makes me think Centerfold might now work great for you. Just my thoughts.
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Thu May 06, 2010 7:43 pm

And I was thinking the opposite . . . Centerfold goes pink on me . . . a pretty, natural pink color, which is why I thought it might work. Good point, though!! You just have to try different colors to see how they work on you. For example, I know so many love Hot Blooded, but it just did not work for me. Have fun experimenting!! :D
~Tracy~
feyith

Post by feyith » Thu May 06, 2010 7:49 pm

That's so weird. Bloom washed me out and I was afraid to try Centerfold because the description sounded like it would be too brown, but it's a lovely pouty nude pink on me.
lwoodall10

Post by lwoodall10 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Centerfold turns into a pink nude on me too. I was afraid it would be too brown, but Mirage gave corpse lips :cry:
JenK

Post by JenK » Sat May 08, 2010 8:43 am

Aria looks AWESOME on you. I've had it on my wish list and now I just may need it.

I've only tried Bobbi out of those three. After a few minutes on me, Bobbi and Cultured turn into the same color. My lips are rather pigmented, many colors turn into the same cotton candy pink/purple (centerfold turns this color too). I've had better luck w/ the Lipsticks, Sheer Glosses and Wands staying true.
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:45 am

Another thought, doesn't seem like you own any peach lip colors, do you tend to not gravitate towards the peachy ones? I ask because I too have yellow undertones to my skin, and peaches actually ended up looking quite nice, Mimosa is my favorite, it is a light peach. Foreplay sounds nice to, but I don't own that one, I heard it is very similar to Mimosa, but just a tad more pink to it.