Foundation Help

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
syberdee

Foundation Help

Post by syberdee » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:24 am

Hi,

I really hope that someone can help me. I am having probelms identifying a suitable foundation colour for my skin. My skin colour is medium to dark and going by the description on the website, I bought a warm gold foundation kit, using a 6 ivory : 8 warm gold ratio. When I apply it on my face, it seemed to match my skintone. I'm just not sure because the mixture does not look like the MAC studiofix that I was using before. I was using a MAC studiofix in NC40. Should I add other shades to my silk naturals foundation?

Cheers
Dee
JenW

Re: Foundation Help

Post by JenW » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:42 am

Hello syberdee!

My recommendation is to go with what looks good ON your skin. The way powders look in the jar can be so deceiving. I would 'live in it' for a few days. If you decide it is missing something, then you might want to try something else. If you think it needs more yellow, try Buttery, and if you think it needs red, try Peach. Other than that I am guessing the Warm is probably right for you.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
SeaPupp

Post by SeaPupp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:34 am

My BIGGEST advice would be to literally try every combination you can with your sample foundation colors.
First try to find the right depth with ONE color. Then refine if needed with others from there.
I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER in a MILLION years would have believed I was a Buttery Gold.
I was absolutely convinced I was a mixture of Ebony and Warm Golden because by looking at the base colors that's always what I seemed to use in the past.
I ran out of my other sample colors so I tried the Buttery Gold on a lark.
It was literally THE perfect thing for my face.
Everyone close to me noticed I looked healhier, better, rested etc... Nope was just the right base of foundation color.
Also, make sure to try a scoop or two darker and lighter than you think would work.
By looking at the jar my mix is way way lighter than what would normally work for me. Esp considering I have a tan. But, when you put it on your face it melds, mixes, etc

And definitely go by how it looks on your face. Not by the color in the jar.
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:23 am

The way I mixed my foundation was with the sample kit. This was an excellent way to do it, because I ended up needing both ebony and buttery gold. The way I figured it out was by placing the base colors on my skin and deciding which ones looked harmonious with my skin and which ones didn't... if you're good with color (I oil paint in my spare time) you will probably be able to almost see the ratio you'll need. The hardest part was lightening/darkening it, and I ended up going lighter after wearing it for a few days.

I recommend doing samples of all the shades unless you KNOW one of them won't work.
syberdee

Post by syberdee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks so much ladies. I've just bought a sample of the other colours, just in case I can get an even better match. I oh so want to glow... :D
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:54 am

And glow you *shall*, Dee! Everybody gave you excellent advice, playing is *fun*, & when you *find it*, BINGO! :D
Enjoy the ride!
mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
syberdee

Post by syberdee » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:33 pm

okay, so I've decided to lighten the mixture as I realised that it was too dark. I'm now at 10white:8dark. But I met a friend whom I've not seen for some time and she commented on how I seemed 'tanned'. I was like 'oh my god', maybe the foundation is still too dark so will adjust it again.