Lower lashline help...

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
hotmama

Lower lashline help...

Post by hotmama » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:01 pm

How do you put pigments on your lower lashline? Do you go on top of lashes? Underneath them? I've tried and ended up with pigment sitting on top of my lower lashes...not pretty. Jen did a wonderful job with Poly an lowerlashes. I love the look...just can't complete it. I do have the ultimate e/s brush if that's what's is used. Any advice?
Rhys

Re: Lower lashline help...

Post by Rhys » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Go under your lower lashes with the small end of the Ultimate E/S brush. What I do is put a little pigment on the brush - it doesn't take much, and if I need to go over it again it's easier than trying to get too much colour off.

I generally start with the shorter side of the small end of the brush at the outer corner of my eye under the lashes, and let gravity guide the brush. It takes a little practise, but it's not terrifically difficult. Trust me, if I can do it, almost anybody can.

Or you could try a sample of one of the cream liners and see if that works better for you - the same application principle applies.

If you can't work with a push brush at all, then maybe a regular eye liner brush? But do go under, not over, for your lower lashes.
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:47 pm

I always line inside my lashes because outside my lashes never looks quite right. I have too much pink inside the lashes and it really pops if i line outside the lashes (and my eyes curve slightly downward so that tend to look tired/sad and anything heavy on the bottom lashes emphasizes that curve)

To dry-line inside my lashes, I dip the angled liner/push liner end of the ultimate e/s brush into the powder of my choice (my fav. is bittersweet) , swish it back and forth in the lid once or twice to tap off excess and then push line- I tap it along the wet/pink part of my lid inside the lashes. Wet lining does not work as well inside the lashes.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:17 pm

It is interesting that we all have our ways of doing the same thing to make it work for us. I do line below my lashline. I have sensitive eyes and have not really been able to wear anything on my waterline for ages. Keep practicing, and I do have a few more suggestions if you can't get it to work. Try to use more of the tip of the angled eyeliner part of the brush.

If that Ue/s brush proves to be a challenge, I have another suggestion. I do use a few craft brushes, also, in my arsenal. At the craft store look for a taklon #2 filbert or a taklon #2 chisel blender. The filbert is flat, narrow, and rounded kind of like a really skinny fingernail (just to give an idea for shape). A chisel blender is like a flat push brush (the eyeliner end of the Ultimate Eyeshadow Brush is angled), but a #2 is much narrower.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:32 pm

oh yes, jen is right about the handling of the brush (didn't even think about that). I always have the point (the longer side) of the angled brush towards the corner i'm starting at and work my way in to the center of my eye. So I do the inner corner to the center of the lash line and then i flip the brush over and do the outer corner to the center of the lash line. HTH!
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:06 am

Jen, a taklon #2 filbert is my *favorite* for what I call wide-wetlining! Then I can take a contrasting color & wet-smoosh it into lashes with a pushbrush.

Hotmama, I tend to not use an angled e/l brush for under lower lashes. I have a *very* small smudge-brush that I use to dryline under there.

mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
hotmama

Post by hotmama » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey ladies! Ok, I have mastered lining my lower lashline properly. And boy does it make a HUGE difference. I have to admit to being retarded and trying to put the liner on top of my lower lashes...I was wondering why I was the only one in the world who couldnt line their lower lash line. Now i'm wondering if I was the ONLY idiot who actually tried getting the powder to just "settle" on to of my lashes...I shudder to think about some of the outcomes I was getting. BTW, little pigment particles floating on top of your eyeball....not very good! So thanks, for finally telling me to go UNDER the lashes...
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:34 pm

You're not the only one...at our office party I caught my mother putting on eye shadow with a mini blush brush (it skips a generation). I have to say she was done pretty quickly, and it didn't look too bad.

One of the really fast ways I like to line my eyes is just to dry line the top, and then close my eyes together *really* tight and it transfers some of the line to my bottom lid. I read it in a Kevin Aucoin book and it really works!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:28 am

Now listen here, ROFL ~ your mother is being efficient! For my all-over wash (backdrop), I use one of those odd larger flat brushes that I've gotten from other synthetic brush kits. One sweep & I'm ready to play with color!

mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:12 am

I find that wetting the pigments works best for me - makes it more like a true liner than trying to powder under the lashes.

So if anybody else is having trouble with dry pigments also try them wet with the thinnest brush you own. I use a thin flat rounded shadow brush. It's easy to use a slightly larger brush to add more dry pigment for smudging after that.

That being said, lower lining usually looks funny on me like it does on Sam... kinda droopy or like raccoon eyes due to the shape of my lower lid. I find the best is to mascara my upper lashes heavily and then close my eyes so it transfers just to the top of my lower lashes.

I used to work at an optical shop... and I would always say that I had trouble buying glasses because I have an "alien head". Another of my coworkers had a self-described "horse face". We can't all be born with "perfect" features so sometimes it takes a little while to figure out what will work best on each of us... so don't give up! The perfect liner technique is out there for everyone :)