Mail service issues-what can I do?

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
missyjean

Mail service issues-what can I do?

Post by missyjean » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 pm

So sometimes packages are mailed to me,and sometimes the mail carrier returns the items! I ordered from some place that gave a delivery confirmation to see if it gave a reason for why some of my mail doesn't show up,and on Track and Confirm it said it was an undeliverable address.Well,considering I have successfully received 2 packages before...it's obviously a deliverable address.I typed in everything correctly,and I even filed a change of address since I've only lived here for a month.

I am at an apartment,and the mailbox wall thingy has smallish boxes...but there would have been some note thing saying to pick it up somewhere correct? I never order anything huge,and package envelopes up to 1 1/2 feet in length fit in there terrifically. I thought about just getting a PO Box but my b/f assured that this is some huge mistake on their part.

I don't know what to do,I've had so many packages return to the sender...and only a few of my stuff ever came in. I've had to go without makeup for a week! It's really becoming depressing! So do I file some complaints and give 'em heck,or do I buy a PO Box? I'm 19 without a car so it would suck to have to walk miles to the nearest post office!
Xarata

Re: Mail service issues-what can I do?

Post by Xarata » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Make sure your mailbox is labeled really clearly with your name and apt number. According to the website, the letters should be 1" tall. I also posted below that if you have a mail cubby (with a door and key) you need to make sure your name and apt number are visible INSIDE the cubby. Your mailman doesn't have a key to each box, he has one key that opens all the doors at the same as one big door. The little door with the number is for your benefit- it does your mailman absolutely no good at all. http://www.usps.com/receive/mailboxstandards.htm

I'm not sure what kind of apt you live in.

A multi-family apt bldg:
You might try adding a bin on the floor below the mailboxes with a note on your mailbox that says something along the lines of "If a parcel does not fit, please leave in the bin below". When I lived in an apt with 6 small mailboxes on the wall and it absolutely would not fit, they often left it on the floor below the mailboxes (or since i lived on the groundfloor and my door was across from the mailboxes, they would leave it in my doorway).

A large apt complex: If you live in a complex where there's about 25-50 mail cubicles with a key to open them on the wall and the mailman swings open a door for immediate access to all of them, you might try writing a note to the mailman (My mail is being returned to sender and I'm not receiving any hold mail notices to pick items up at the post office yada yada yada) and taping it facing out in your mail square. Also- VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure your name and apt number is visible inside your cubby because the numbers on the metal doors aren't visible when they put the mail in your box. If there's no name and no apt number, it's just an empty box- considered vacant/unoccupied or nonexistant. Yes, your mailman could use process of elimination from the boxes on either side of yours to determine your box, but that doesn't mean they will, and if you have more than one mailman, one might deliver your mail and another might treat it as undeliverable. I would also try checking the main office of a mass complex to see if they have any mail for you. When i lived in a 4 building complex, mail that didn't fit usually went to the main office and the main office would leave a note in our box. Your building may do the same thing but not go to the trouble of leaving notes- find out if your mail goes to an office or not.

Also, everywhere that I've lived except my childhood home has had more than one mailman with the same route throughout the week (example: my landlord waited a few days to shovel the walkway from their house to the back where our house is. joe shmo will walk back to our house anyway, but jack black who does the route every other day will not so i got my mail on thursday and saturday, but not on friday) which may be why you get some of your packages but not all of them.
If expected First Class Mail or Priority Mail has not arrived within 5 postal business days from its date of mailing, you can:

§Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) where a customer service representative will document your concern, OR
§Visit the Postal Inspection Service websiteand complete a mail loss report.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
missyjean

Post by missyjean » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks for the reply. My mailbox wall has 30-40 boxes but the mailman has to open each box individually. My last name is clearly typed on the card inside.

I can't put a bin below it,I unfortunately do not live a good neighborhood =( some hooligan would surely steal it.

I asked my roomate,who's been here for a year, and she said they always leave a note on the door when the package is too big.

Anywho,I wrote a nice little letter to the mailman,whichever one it is. I'm also visiting the post office tomorrow and make sure this nonsense is taken care of.

Thanks for your reply! Hopefully I'll be able to get my silk naturals foundation soon...this bare natural thing is awful lol
missyjean

Post by missyjean » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:51 pm

So I guess my mailman was so upset by my letter that he went in and complained to the apartment manager.Then the apartment manager got all kinds of angry at me.

All my note said was,"Yesterday,Feb.16th,a package for Melissa E*** was supposed to be delivered but was instead returned to the sender.I would like to know why this is happening and why a note was never given to me.Hopefully you can help remedy this situation before I have to start filing complaints.Thank You."

Seriously,I spent 40 bucks on that item.Getting it sent back with no reason was a huge inconvenience to me.The reason the Mailman did not send the items is because I'm not on the lease just yet,which I have no idea how the mail people know who's on apartment leases or not.I did a change of address and everything,and still got roughly half my mail. So that whole ordeal was very frustrating :evil:
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Can you get mail where you work? That may be the best option. I had to start doing that when I got fed up with the mailman randomly misdelivering my stuff, and I get my neighbor's mail too, sometime. Instead of coming upstairs, they would just stick a notice into my box that I 'wasn't home', (mind you, they are already inside the building when they do that) and then I have to spend time to go to the post office to collect it, and even then, sometimes they misplace it or give me someone else's box that lives in my building. It's a mess. At least at work, there is always someone to sign for it during the week, and sort it by suites. Good luck.
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 pm

missyjean wrote:So I guess my mailman was so upset by my letter that he went in and complained to the apartment manager.Then the apartment manager got all kinds of angry at me.

All my note said was,"Yesterday,Feb.16th,a package for Melissa E*** was supposed to be delivered but was instead returned to the sender.I would like to know why this is happening and why a note was never given to me.Hopefully you can help remedy this situation before I have to start filing complaints.Thank You."

Seriously,I spent 40 bucks on that item.Getting it sent back with no reason was a huge inconvenience to me.The reason the Mailman did not send the items is because I'm not on the lease just yet,which I have no idea how the mail people know who's on apartment leases or not.I did a change of address and everything,and still got roughly half my mail. So that whole ordeal was very frustrating :evil:
He probably felt threatened by the "filing complaints" wording, but honestly it's a legitimate concern and if he'd rather you call the post office and ask why your mail isn't being delivered instead of giving him a chance first, then so be it. Why the apt mgr would be mad at you and what he could have to complain about is beyond me. If the mail is addressed to you and your name is on the mailbox, they should deliver it whether your name is on the lease or not and whether you did a change of address or not. Seeing as you did a change of address and your name is on the mailbox, he's just being a pita. I hope the post office is sympathetic when you call and gets it all straightened out. They can't just not deliver your mail because your name isn't on the lease. Children get birthday cards all the time and their names aren't on the lease. Just put the mail in the box already, dude.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
JenK

Post by JenK » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:46 am

My crabby mailman lies about registered mail. I thought he was going to punch me out when I called to inform the post office he LIED about attempting to deliver it. He scrares me...LOL!!
fertooos

Post by fertooos » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:50 am

I agree that telephone companies should find some methods to prevent calling from false numbers. I believe in the era of internet technologies it is possible to implement such a mechanism. These spam calls can bring hard to many people. So this danger should not be ignored, find there the statistics of all the suffered users. Somebody should take responsibility for these fake telephone numbers.