Some quick questions...

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
karen
Site Admin

Some quick questions...

Post by karen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm working on some Valentine's things! I'm going through the wish list section and a few other threads to see what to make, and I have a few questions about what you want...It's not a guarantee that I can make something but a little guidance would be extremely helpful!

Creamy undereye concealers- I have what I think is a good formula- pretty simple as far as ingredients, and Jamie looooves it. My question is what about the colors? Are the Sleep in a Jars working for you? What have you been happy with in the past as far as colors?

Pink color boosters/PMUP- a pink color booster like the yellow and green ones we sell isn't a huge issue, but I'm wondering how a sheer version would differ from something like Petal?

How are the toner concentrates? Do you like them? Are they working? Is mixing a pain?

A night treatment powder. It's probably one of our most requested product dupes and has been for ages. Here's the deal though...from all of the digging and research that I've done, and it's been a lot of research- (I went so far as to read the BE annual report because they talk about their suppliers- their supplier of trace minerals is a fertilizer company), trace mineral concentrate only comes from one source. It's a cave out in Utah. It gets marketed as a lot of different things, including an organic fertilizer called Azomite, and as a nutritional suppliment. Knowing what I know about this stuff, I will not put it in makeup. This is a link to the certificate of analysis for Azomite.
http://www.azomite.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=11
I'm not saying this is what BE, or any other company uses...I really don't have any idea what they're using, but I've searched around for other sources of "72 trace minerals" and have never seen a list that didn't include lead, arsenic, lithium, or mercury as some of the trace minerals. Knowing what I know about what's in the trace mineral concentrate I've decided that I'm never ever going to put it in any SN product.

So, I made the Ultimate Luxury treatment powder in place of it. I've played with the Rare Minerals, and I prefer the Luxury Treatment powder- but I have dry skin. I suppose I could probably make something with some nice clays and anti-oxidants for oily skin, but I know if I release something without the "trace mineral concentrate" that people are still going to ask about a dupe of Rare Minerals, and I'm just not going there.

Do you want something other than the Ultimate Luxury Powder- even if it doesn't contain the "trace mineral concentrate"?
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Pomi

Re: Some quick questions...

Post by Pomi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Karen!

Under-eye circles aren't a major concern for me, but I really like the Extra Light SIAJ. It works well for me.

I don't know about the toner concentrates since I haven't tried them yet (I'm trying to finish my Pore Refining Toner so that I can use the bottle to dilute the Floral concentrate), and I can't really help for the PMUP since it's not something I use.

I really love the ULTP as it is. It's really helped my skin.
Then I don't have oily skin, but I'm not dry either.

For what it's worth, I -- and apparently I'm not the only one -- would love to see some bright pink lipstick for the Valentine's day realease...

I'm sure I'll love whatever you create anyways! :D
Hoyden

Post by Hoyden » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:13 pm

I really like Pick Me Up Bisque from the-company-who-shall-not-be-named. I don't use the PMUP color at all.

That being said, the one product that myself and many others are diligently searching for is a replacement for Natural Reflections from the-company-who-shall-not-be-named.

I read the post you had made about not duplicating products from other companies, unless they were discontinued, and I respect that. (It was cross posted onto Chanty's forum) However, I'd like to point out the the-company-who-shall-not-be-named has CHANGED their formula from the one that many loved to something else, so technically, I guess you could view that as a discontinuation.

The old formulation was: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Iron Oxide (CI 77489), (CI 77491), (CI 44792), (CI 77499) NR Fair says May Contain Ultramarines (CI 77007), NR Light doesn't list ultramarines.

The new formulation is: Mica (CI 77019), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Iron Oxide (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007)

This product was a tried & true staple of my daily make-up routine because I simply do not leave the house without sun block on. My family jokes that our house could be burning, but I wouldn't leave unless I had my sunblock or NR powder on. My Nana told me to never let my face get sun burned or I'd be wrinkled to hell & back by the time I was forty. :D

The other part of this is that I take a medication that makes me very photosensitive to the sun. I kid you not when I say that a NR type powder has been a life saver for me. I put it on my face, neck, chest, shoulders, arms, hands, tops of my feet & legs OVER my sunscreen. I keep a full size in my war paint box, the center console of my truck, in my dog training bag & my gym bag, I have smaller sizes in the pocket of my service dog's vest, my purse, my husband's glove box, my desk and stashed in many other places. All of them have some kind of kabuki brush stored with them so I have a good dusting of NR powder when ever I need it.

During the Renaissance Faire, I usually buy 8 - 10 full size containers and use it over the make-up on the actors that ask because it doesn't mar the stage make-up.

So after that huge long ramble, I will be glad to offer myself as your guinea pig if you opt to make this product. I'm in Connecticut, but my family goes up to Lake Pleasant in New York where they have a house. I would be more than happy to drive to your store, it's about 3.5 hours from the house in New York depending on the weight of your foot.

My husband, his aunt, my FIL and his girlfriend are all participating in the Pink Ribbon Snow Run for Breast Cancer on February 26 & 27, 2010, so we'll be in New York much of that week and the the week after if this is something you'd like to do. I can't ride that long, so I am not going on that run.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble.
Courage is the foundation of integrity. ~ Keshavan Nair
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Any time you want to come over to play you're more than welcome! We're really far out in the sticks, and this time of year the weather is so iffy I'd recommend a visit closer to Spring or Summer, but I never turn down an opportunity to meet a mineral lover.

Have you tried our Ultra Sheer Zinc powder? I never played with NR, and if I mention anything about sunscreen it classifies it as an OTC drug, and we can get into big trouble, but there's a ton ton ton of zinc and titanium dioxide in the Ultra Sheer Zinc- more than you would find in pretty much any commercial sunblock. I'm pretty religious about sunblock too.

The full inci for the Zinc powder is: Mica and magnesium myrsistate (helps make it a little sweat-proof), zinc oxide, titanium dioxide. It's not tinted, but you can easily add some of the foundation colors to tint it to your liking. Peter Thomas Roth sells a decent one too.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Devlyn

Post by Devlyn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Extra light peach as a cream concealer - wahoo! I can only wear minerals near and on my eyelids so this would be excellent for me :D and many others I'm sure.. is that less selfish?

I would also be excited to see some new, non-shimmer, sheer lipglosses. Like maybe a brown with a bit of pink or a light pink.

Andd I might be a minority here but I would love a spray lotion for Heart Day. They're so convenient and light.

Ah, I'm excited for everything! Everything I've wanted has come out lately.. sheer red lipgloss (bitten), sprakly dark green eyeliner (ExtraVERT), the in-the-making buttery-yellow matte eyeshadow (just realized that topic was olddd.. but can I change that to peach-matte?) Any mattes are useful; I love the idea of some of the pretty pastels mentioned in another thread.. *sigh* etcetera :P
Last edited by Devlyn on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 pm

I've probably had the best luck with the sheer yellow SIAJ, but really I can't wear any of them - they just cake and make me look older. A light cream concealer (nothing too heavy under the eye area) might work. Holy Crow is doing the job at the moment.

I'd like to see some cream-based moisturisers - I've got a sample of the Daily Defense and that's the best one I've found so far, but I'm not sure if my skin is being finicky with it, need a couple more days. I got a small spot on my forehead and given that I'm not prone to breakouts - well, it's probably just a small spot that'll go away by evening, but I'm not sure. And my skin is still a bit dry, even with that, treatment serums, hydrating serum, and toner.

A large fibreoptic brush would be nice, too. And (if it's not a pain, but I'm afraid it would be) a return of something like the Kiss Blisses or non-vegan lipsticks. The vegan ones aren't horrible (the glosses don't work for me) but they're a bit crumbly and drying, and I have to reapply them a lot more than the old formula. Yes, I know lippies are a PITA to make, and ya just can't win. So if that can't happen, I'm okay.
feyith

Post by feyith » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:38 pm

karen wrote:Creamy undereye concealers- I have what I think is a good formula- pretty simple as far as ingredients, and Jamie looooves it. My question is what about the colors? Are the Sleep in a Jars working for you? What have you been happy with in the past as far as colors?
Light Peach SIAJ is the perfect color for me but it's a bit too sheer to use on its own. Is that what you mean?
Pink color boosters/PMUP- a pink color booster like the yellow and green ones we sell isn't a huge issue, but I'm wondering how a sheer version would differ from something like Petal?
I'd be happy with just a booster; like Date Bait but without the sparkles and less sheer so that I could mix it into my foundation.
Do you want something other than the Ultimate Luxury Powder- even if it doesn't contain the "trace mineral concentrate"?
Nope. It was a curiosity question more than anything. If the ULTP is pretty much RM without the toxins, no reason to do anything more with it; although would it be possible to put the full sizes in a little pillow puff jar? :) Usually when I'm putting on nighttime minerals, I'm too braindead to do the whole "swirl, tap and buff" routine. I just wanna pick up the jar, rub it on my face and go to bed. :lol:
karen wrote:Have you tried our Ultra Sheer Zinc powder? I never played with NR, and if I mention anything about sunscreen it classifies it as an OTC drug, and we can get into big trouble, but there's a ton ton ton of zinc and titanium dioxide in the Ultra Sheer Zinc- more than you would find in pretty much any commercial sunblock. I'm pretty religious about sunblock too.
I'm really happy about the Zinc powder. I mix mine with Date Bait and use it instead of foundation. I can't wear yellow tinted things without it making my face look like I'm dead but I think the people looking for NR should try out a mix of Zinc Powder and either Tempt Tryst or the Tinted Blur?
Last edited by feyith on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lwoodall10

Post by lwoodall10 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:38 pm

I would love a cream pink and SIAJ concealer :D
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Rhys wrote:I've probably had the best luck with the sheer yellow SIAJ, but really I can't wear any of them - they just cake and make me look older. A light cream concealer (nothing too heavy under the eye area) might work. Holy Crow is doing the job at the moment.

I'd like to see some cream-based moisturisers - I've got a sample of the Daily Defense and that's the best one I've found so far, but I'm not sure if my skin is being finicky with it, need a couple more days. I got a small spot on my forehead and given that I'm not prone to breakouts - well, it's probably just a small spot that'll go away by evening, but I'm not sure. And my skin is still a bit dry, even with that, treatment serums, hydrating serum, and toner.

A large fibreoptic brush would be nice, too. And (if it's not a pain, but I'm afraid it would be) a return of something like the Kiss Blisses or non-vegan lipsticks. The vegan ones aren't horrible (the glosses don't work for me) but they're a bit crumbly and drying, and I have to reapply them a lot more than the old formula. Yes, I know lippies are a PITA to make, and ya just can't win. So if that can't happen, I'm okay.
I agree with Rhys about a few things. A light cream concealer would be nice--no matter how careful I am, the powder ones seem to find lines I did not realize I had! I have not tried the light-peach SIAJ, but whatever I use, it has to be super-fair and super light.

I'd also like a creamier moisturizer. I do like the daily defense--waiting on the full size I ordered last week--but at night, a nice creamy moisturizer would be nice as a treat. I also prefer the non-vegan lip products. I like the vegan colors, but they don't seem to stay as well for me, and don't feel as moisturizing to me. I know a few of us have noticed that.

Hoyden mentioned the Natural Reflection powders. I quit using all products from that company, and the NR powders actually made me itchy and caused breakouts, BUT the color and coverage were fantastic, and I do miss having a finishing powder like that. I *think* the nearly full ones I have are the old formula. I have NR fair and NR light. Karen, if you want them, I'd be happy to send them or a large sample. Hoyden--if you'd like them, they are fair game! :D

Valentine's--I'd like some more pretty pinks for lips, too. I always lean towards the peachy-pinks and corally pinks myself. Maybe these colors with less shimmer? How about some more lip balms in yummy flavors like strawberry, peach, and/or pina colada?! I really love the lip balms, and even got a coworker hooked on them! :mrgreen:
~Tracy~
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:23 pm

The powder concealers never did quite do it for me and my dark circles and sometimes caked- that said, i would love a pale yellow cream concealer (like the SIAJ color). My fav. all time undereye concealer was UGGs buttercup cream concealer with eyeliss which they discontinued (mainly- i think- because they had huge issues with them drying out). I've tried cory's version and it's a bit greasy and not as opaque- I NEED opaque. Would love if you could come up with a replacement- mine's almost gone :( The peaches and flesh tones are OK for me, but they don't really brighten my eye area and sometimes clash with my foundation color. Knowing that not everyone is warm, i think a yellow and a peach would be for the best.

oh!oh! and wouldn't Valentine's day be just the perfect time for a deep Merlot lippie?!? :lol:

Seriously though-- you could totally do a play on wine and chocolate...
Last edited by Xarata on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com