Air Travel With SN?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
Chell

Air Travel With SN?

Post by Chell » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:55 pm

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong section to post in, but I'm sure you all know how ridiculous air travel regulations have become. I still have all my SN samples, and am going on holiday (I'm in the US flying from one state to another) in September. But before I go, I was wondering if it's okay to travel with the samples as they are in their containers, as well as the lip gloss.

I considered not taking my mmu with me in case the airport security decide it's 'dangerous' and take it away, but I realised that there'll be at least a couple nights where I'll need to look nice so I do want it. Has anyone traveled on a flight recently with theirs? I plan to put it in my carryon... with the ridiculous charging for bags I'm going to try to pack everything into it, LOL. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you~ (^_^)
deepix

Re: Air Travel With SN?

Post by deepix » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:23 am

As far as i know they don't bother much with make up powders or lipglosses. If you are worried best to check in the stuff rather than hand carry. Generally you would only have a problem if you brg ard a huge amt of creams and liquids (more than 100ml each for handcarry).
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:11 am

It's not a problem to have MMU with you. And you're allowed one quart-size ziploc bag to put anything liquid, cream or gel in - they have to be in small containers, 100 mils or less, but as many as you can fit in a quart-size plastic bag is fine - those have to go through a special machine when you check in.

MMU isn't a problem though - bring as much as you like.

I've had to fly to, out of, or within the USA five times in the past three months, so...

The only problem I had is that airlines are lowering the luggage allowance and not mentioning it, thereby dinging you with an extra $100 or $200, and some of them now insist that you put your laptop IN your carry-on, even though you have to take it OUT to have it scanned - in an attempt to get one more piece of luggage to charge you for, in lieu of raising flight prices.

But if you keep your carry-on to 10 lbs or so (plus laptop), and no more than two checked cases of no more than 40-45 lbs, you'll be fine - and you can put creams, liquids, and gels into a checked bag.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:10 am

I flew to France last September with one of every color that we made at the time in my carry on with no problems. I did put my lippies in my quart bag, but other than that- it was fine. Like Rhys said- you can put anything in your checked luggage that you're worried about, but security really didn't have a problem with my makeup bag.

Rhys also gave you wonderful advice about the luggage requirements- call your airline before you pack to see what they are. On the way back we ended-up paying about $100 for excess weight in our bags.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Advise that you put them in your quart plastic baggie. If you do that, you won't have any trouble whatsoever.

You CAN also put them in your luggage as they are not, technically, liquid or gel, but it might make your trip through security quicker and easier if they are in your quart bag. Happy travels!
Chell

Post by Chell » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:31 pm

Thank you so much, everyone~ I don't plan to check luggage since I know I'll have to pay for it (and I'll be there less than a week).

I'll definitely give the airlines a call before I go to find out what they're allowing. Things may change again, before September, LOL. And I used a 1-quart ziploc bag last year when I traveled to San Diego, so I'm familiar with that part of travel now. (^_^)