Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
JenW

Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:40 am

I think we need to start putting all of the foundation help in one spot. I know there are those of you out there who prefer to read what others of similar color are doing rather than jump in and ask questions.

Also, I have been trying to update our Application and Recipes page so that the information is available for those that kind of know their undertones. I know I did not have any information up for Olive. Here is what I added:

Olive has slight olive undertones with no yellow or golden tones. If you are very olive we recommend the addition of the Green Color Booster. If you have olive and yellow tones we recommend Warm Gold or Buttery Gold plus the Green Color Booster.

We try to minimize the number of bases that you need to use (and using just 1 is ideal), so sometimes it might not make sense initially what we recommend.
http://www.silknaturals.com/creb/inform ... ?info_id=7
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
kinjali22

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by kinjali22 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:54 am

Hi Ladies,

I guess I'll be the first to post on this new thread! I'm making my first purchase within the next few days and wanted to know if you think I'll need the green or yellow color booster to add to my foundation mix. Also, what undertones do you think I have? What proportion of base will I need for my recipe? Sorry for the 101 questions!

I've posted a picture of myself in this thread : http://www.silknaturals.com/forum/viewt ... f=4&t=1307

Thanks!
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:09 pm

kinjali22,

In looking at your photo, I am thinking Olive. I really don't see much in the way of yellow or strong green (for me in looking at undertones, it is easier to look for what you don't have). I don't think you will need the color boosters. I think you will be around a 1 color:8 or 9 Ivory (remember...Olive is darker than some of the others....)
Faves-
WendyD

Post by WendyD » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi, I've been lurking on here and throughout the main site for months,waiting until I run out of my foundation so I can order! :D

I think I have primarily yellow undertones, with little to no pink, but I wanted to get a second opinion. I don't have any photos of me without makeup unfortunately, and I've never really been able to find my perfect match. I'd like to match my neck... in a lot of photos my face appears lighter, but it may be because my foundation is too light... But does somewhat appear that way in real life as well, without makeup. I was somewhat close with EDM's Golden Winged Butter, but I found it to be just a bit too yellow. I also tried Meow's Korat #2, but it was too light and grey, not enough yellow. I've also tried BE in Light and Fairly Light, but both turned bright orange on me in natural light. I'm hoping to try the Perfect Harmony foundation, and possibly some skin care products as well. I'm eyeing the Apricot Cleansing oil. :D

I have very dehydrated skin, which in turn over-produces oil. I've had acne since I was eleven, but it's gotten wayyy better now. As a result, I have a lot of scarring -- both newer, redder ones and more faded brown ones. I've always used heavier formulations for other MMU's, should I do the same with SN? I also use both the foundation and a lavender colour corrector to conceal. I'd like to stay pretty matte.

Prom, using liquid foundation

Close-up of my neck/chest area which I'd like to match. Done under dim light, lightbulb.

Same circumstances, I'm on the right.

The only recent close, outdoor shot I have. I'm wearing Meow's Korat #2 mixed with Angora #3, and some EDM Golden Winged Butter... Pretty much just mixing whatever yellowish foundation samples I had into my Korat to make it look better.

-----

For the night of Halloween, I plan on going as a creepy ghost girl, complete with cold, blue skin. I was looking to mix some ivory foundation with a small amount Ultramarine Blue for the effect. Is one refill baggie enough to cover my limbs, neck and face? I'm about 4ft 11. Also, does it matter what formulation I use for this? The goal is to look dead.

I look forward to joining the SN customer base, thanks for all your help in regards to my questions!
kinjali22

Post by kinjali22 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:12 pm

JenW wrote:kinjali22,

In looking at your photo, I am thinking Olive. I really don't see much in the way of yellow or strong green (for me in looking at undertones, it is easier to look for what you don't have). I don't think you will need the color boosters. I think you will be around a 1 color:8 or 9 Ivory (remember...Olive is darker than some of the others....)

Thank you for your reply JenW! I've tried EDM's Olive Medium and Golden Medium before in the Olive family and they were both too "green" for me. I was wondering if the recipe is lighter or less green than those EDM colors. I'll work my way up to the 9 ivory to make the color lighter if it needs to be less green. Thanks for your help :D
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi Wendy D - a quick answer from me until Jen responds. From what you've said about Meow's Korat and Angora, I can tell you that Korat is Warm Gold and Angora is very close to the Yellow colour booster. From the mix you've described, you'd need a colour close to Meow Abyssinian and that's Silk Naturals Buttery Gold. I'm guessing you're somewhere between a Frisky and a Naughty, so that's maybe 1 scoop of foundation base colour (Buttery Gold) to around 8-10 of Ivory depending on how heavy the coverage of Ivory you would use. I'm saying that based upon your description, I'm not sure if it would be the right match for your photos though. For dehydration, the Green Tea and Alow Serum is outstandingly effective.
WendyD

Post by WendyD » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Cupcake wrote:Hi Wendy D - a quick answer from me until Jen responds. From what you've said about Meow's Korat and Angora, I can tell you that Korat is Warm Gold and Angora is very close to the Yellow colour booster. From the mix you've described, you'd need a colour close to Meow Abyssinian and that's Silk Naturals Buttery Gold. I'm guessing you're somewhere between a Frisky and a Naughty, so that's maybe 1 scoop of foundation base colour (Buttery Gold) to around 8-10 of Ivory depending on how heavy the coverage of Ivory you would use. I'm saying that based upon your description, I'm not sure if it would be the right match for your photos though. For dehydration, the Green Tea and Alow Serum is outstandingly effective.
Thanks! Buttery Gold was my first guess as well, I was hoping to forgo the kit with all the colours to save on time and shipping a bit. I did try Abyssinian in both Sleek and Naughty, but found both to be not yellow enough for me at all. Do you think I'll need a Yellow Booster even with Buttery Gold?

EDIT: I was also looking into just getting some aloe vera gel on its own, since the hard water here as really taken a toll on my skin. I would be able to use that all over too, rather than just the face... How would that compare to the serum? The serum just sounds sooo wonderful though...
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:56 pm

WendyD-

I agree with Cupcake in that you need Buttery Gold. You will probably need 1 scoop color to about 8 or so Ivory.

For the Halloween question.......I do think one refill pouch of Ivory Foundation will be enough to cover your arms, face, legs, chest. I can't really give good advice on where to start for a mix. I really would use our scoop and add 1 scoop of the Ultramarine blue to a jar and add a bout 3 to 4 Ivory to start. Shake it up and see if it is close to what you are looking for. Keep track of your ratio and then you could scale it up. Our scoop is 1/32 teaspoon. When you are ready to scale up, we can help if you need it. Honestly, you need some gray for some "killer" contouring around your eyes, cheekbones, collarbones, etc. if you have the time! ;)
Faves-
WendyD

Post by WendyD » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:43 pm

@Jen:

I agree! I totally need a dark grey :D I'm so glad Halloween is on a Saturday this year, so I'll definitely have the time for contour. I guess I'll try the medium starter kit with Buttery Gold then, plus an additional refill baggie for the costume. I'm kinda worried about the blue turning green on me, but green is scary too I guess. Do you think the Ash brow colour would work as a contour?
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi Wendy D - regarding the Buttery Gold being yellow enough, yes I think it would be. Abyssinian is yellow but with an additional brown undertone. Side by side, equal depth of pigment, BG comes out more golden and replicates the effect of adding in Angora (true yellow).