Foundation Recipes :-)

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
JenW

Re: Foundation Recipes :-)

Post by JenW » Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Lani-
With the current colors you will be in the Ebony range, unless you do have some yellow (then mix the Buttery as your second color insead of Warm). You will probably need a little warmth, too. I am really a perfect 'slightly darker than Olive Fair' (but instead of trying to mix Olive Fair a bit darker I settled on Fairly Light in EDM which is really too orange for me). I recommend mixing both colors separately. Ebony/White about 1:9 or 10 and Warm Gold/White in 1:12 or 13 in seperate containers. The Warm Gold mix in smaller amounts just to dust over the top for a warm up. If you find this doesn't work for you, I think we have something for the wish list!

Let us know if you have any more questions!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
lani_88_lani

Post by lani_88_lani » Wed May 28, 2008 12:03 am

Hi JenW! Thanks for that. I will surely try your suggestion. I'll start off from the proportions you gave. :) Thanks again. Will post my feedback soon.
starlight

Post by starlight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:29 am

~*mikie*~ wrote:Currently wearing 1:1 ebony/base+1:1 warm gold/base. Have worn or sometimes wear in other lines: Lumiere FF Medium Beige, Meow Frisky Persian/Naughty Siamese or Naughty Chartreaux or Naughty Manx, Dreamworlds Ki.

~*mikie*~
Have you ever worn a Cory foundation, Mikie?
alienman

Post by alienman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Whoa, I didn't even recall I was already registered here until I tried to register just now haha. I still don't remember registering o.O

Great thread.

I currently use 1 scoop of Buttery Gold and 12+ scoops of Ivory.

Everyday Minerals: Golden Fair
starlight

Post by starlight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:26 am

~*mikie*~ wrote:Rubycat, check your post ~ you only use 1 part base to 8 scoops of color? Just checking! I use a 1:1 ratio color:base & so far I think I'm the only person I've run into who does that,lol :) ... I just went w/Karen's recommendations waaaaaay back with my 1st order!
~*mikie*~
What type of coverage do you use mikie? I was thinking the same thing about your ratio, and your skin doesn't look particularly dark complected. What color are you using with the base.

I thought at one time you may have used cory foundation? If you did - how does the coverage compare of heavy and medium to Cory?

Thanks much!
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:48 am

Starlight, yes, I have used Cory, & have a HUGE tub somewhere...was either JustBeige or MediumBeige (can't recall) & didn't *realize* that it actually looked grey on me :o until I found better matches in other lines. Karen's heavy coverage will cover like Cory's but does *not* dry me out or force my skin to try to compensate for the drying effect.

In SN, in the original formula, the 1:1base/ebony + 1:1base/warm gold worked *for me* just fine. In the medium or heavy coverage I can't say what my ratios are because I change things every time I mix up a batch. The 1:1 warm gold/ebony remains, but the amt of white base varies according to season & my blood pressure & the coverage of the formula. I am *always* playing, sigh! My skin can look medium dark, just plain medium, or even light medium depending on whatever lighting situation I'm caught in. I am *actually* medium bordering on deep medium in real life. HTHs!
mikie
2433751279_c450c04dac_m.jpg
2433751279_c450c04dac_m.jpg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 26181 times
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi all

I use 11 ivory to 1 ebony and I can use everyday minerals cool-fair and clinique's almost powder make up in fair. But when I make a batch up (4 lots of 11 ivories. Now you can see why I loose count.), I might put in and extra two to lighten it a bit more.

It depends on my mood at the time. Have to love silknatruals for that. :lol:
Foundation: 1: baggie 6: ebony: 7 glow
Fav blush: Steller
Fav Lippie: Symphony
Fav combo: cream 1st half of lid, 09:59 2nd half, chocolate twinkle in the crease with Blackheart over it blended out and vanillia on brow bone.
starlight

Post by starlight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:43 pm

Mikie, Thanks for your information comparing to Cory's foundation. I was a sandy beige and found out it looked gray on me too (Then changed to the cream lines which are more yellow)!! I found other better matches in other lines too, so far I am loving the SN formula and color.

I am going to trial a few more days before I commit to an order though.

What coverage do you typically use in SN? I don't think I really *need* the heavy coverage, but I really like the way it looks and have used Cory so I am used to more coverage.

I really like the SN!! :)
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 pm

I think I like the medium best, Starlight. I like the original & the heavy coverage,too, but I'm finding that the medium is plenty now! (Currently out of the medium,ROFL, & had to reorder this AM, so my current mix is of the heavy mixed with the original to make my "own" medium ;-)

Bet medium will do you just fine!

mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:14 pm

SN: 9 ivory, 1 ebony, 1/4 buttery gold (perfect match) I will probably mix my foundation with 11 ivory for fall now that my summer tan is fading.

Bare Minerals: Fairly Light (close match; slightly too orange)

Aveda: Inner Light Tinted Moisture in Aspen (almost-perfect match)

I have also done Prescriptives custom-blended foundation in the past and the SN matches just as well if not better.