Foundation Recipes :-)

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
tori8780

Re: Foundation Recipes :-)

Post by tori8780 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:09 pm

tori8780 wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to SN and recently got the foundation starter kit in Ebony, because from the description I thought it was a good fit for my very pale, pinkish complexion. Well, I'm having one heck of a time getting it to match my skin. It always seems to muddy on my face, even thought its ultra light right now, 12:1 I believe. I thought if I posted some pics maybe someone could let me know if I should be using a different color (maybe buttery gold? I dunno, I am really pink, lol). So here they are:

natural light

indoors with flash

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I love the texture of this stuff, and it makes my skin look flawless. Just cant seem to get the color ratio correct and wondering if I need some sort of yellow-y base in there too. Thanks!
Ok, so per Jen's recommendation, I tried the warm gold. I am using an 11:1 ratio right now. It seems a bit too yellow on me, whereas the ebony was too muddy. Its close, but its not perfect. Any ideas of what other colors I might add to the blend to make it perfect?

I found this website http://beautyiq.adorebeauty.com.au/How- ... olour.html in my attempt to figure out if I'm warm or cool toned, but I cant seem to figure it out. Usually I'd just head to a makeup counter and ask a pro, but unfortunately, there arent any where I live. Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:06 pm

tori8780-

What if you blended the two mixes together and added just a little more white?

Olive might also work at about a 1:15 ratio. I do think you have some pink, but I would be afraid in matching your foundation to it, that you will only make the skin flush look more flushed.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
tori8780

Post by tori8780 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:39 am

I was also thinking that maybe Olive would work. Basically what you just said is what I was planning to try...mix some of the ebony mix with the warm gold mix and see hwo that looks or try adding a tiny bit of olive to the warm gold mix. I will give both of those a try and hopefully one of them works out. It doesnt look bad now, its just a tiny bit light because if I add more of the warm gold it because just a smidge to yellow for me.
Claire

Post by Claire » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:41 am

Hi,

I just got the SN sample kit...
I tried the formula you gave me... 1 buttery gold to 7/8 scoops of white... the powder looks...brownish grey...
Am I doing something wrong??
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:00 am

Claire wrote:Hi,

I just got the SN sample kit...
I tried the formula you gave me... 1 buttery gold to 7/8 scoops of white... the powder looks...brownish grey...
Am I doing something wrong??
Have you tested it on your face with a proper brush? It is really hard to tell based on the look as a powder or even applied heavily like an eyeshadow brush might do. It also might need some adjusting, but you can't really know unless you have tried it and can see what is missing.
Faves-
Claire

Post by Claire » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:33 am

I think I will have to order more of the white so I can experiment on the mixes... the white get used up too fast on the samples & I can't get the color right yet... :( Now it's looking a little muddy on my face... It's like the color is quite close but it doesn't brighten up my face...even after adding splendor finishing powder..

I'm looking for a concealer for my scars (brown) and pimples (red)... Does Sleep in a Jar- Extra Light Peach work? I tried concealing using the same foundation but too much of it turns the spot on my face to a patch of dark brown...

What should I use & get?
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 am

Claire wrote:I think I will have to order more of the white so I can experiment on the mixes... the white get used up too fast on the samples & I can't get the color right yet... :( Now it's looking a little muddy on my face... It's like the color is quite close but it doesn't brighten up my face...even after adding splendor finishing powder..

I'm looking for a concealer for my scars (brown) and pimples (red)... Does Sleep in a Jar- Extra Light Peach work? I tried concealing using the same foundation but too much of it turns the spot on my face to a patch of dark brown...

What should I use & get?
I sam guessing the foundation needs to be lighter in tone. It usually needs to be lighter than you would think. Some need less brown and the addition of yellow booster. I can't really know how to advise on that without more information on what the ratio is in your mix and seeing a pic of you.

For covering spots...you can try the Extra Light Peach, but most use that shade for under eyes. It might work for your situation and is worth a try. I think the shade for your concealer will be even lighter than where you end up for foundation (possibly with more yellow or green tone). I wish I could be more specific, but it really can be a trial and error process looking for the perfect concealer.
Faves-
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Jen! I just got a sample of the new all purpose foundation and I haven't tried it yet. I remember some of the girls saying that it requires different ratios than the original foundation, but I am not sure if I need to use more white, or less white.
My *normal * mix is 10white 1/2buttery gold, 1/2 yellow booster. Could you give me sort of an idea where to start?
Thanks so much!
xx
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
MyLavenderHeart

Post by MyLavenderHeart » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:54 pm

ladycattat wrote:Hi Jen! I just got a sample of the new all purpose foundation and I haven't tried it yet. I remember some of the girls saying that it requires different ratios than the original foundation, but I am not sure if I need to use more white, or less white.
My *normal * mix is 10white 1/2buttery gold, 1/2 yellow booster. Could you give me sort of an idea where to start?
Thanks so much!
xx
Laurie
I was just in the "neighbourhood" and just wanted to pop in real quick and mention that I certainly needed to use more of the white Ivorybase with this formula than the other heavier formulas. So if you use your normal ratio`s the color will run a littlebitbit darker in the new formula.
What I did was I just mixed the ratios that I always used and then after mixing I added two scoops extra of the Ivory, and that worked. For me anyway :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:51 pm

MyLavenderHeart wrote:
ladycattat wrote:Hi Jen! I just got a sample of the new all purpose foundation and I haven't tried it yet. I remember some of the girls saying that it requires different ratios than the original foundation, but I am not sure if I need to use more white, or less white.
Thanks so much!
xx
Laurie
I was just in the "neighbourhood" and just wanted to pop in real quick and mention that I certainly needed to use more of the white Ivorybase with this formula than the other heavier formulas. So if you use your normal ratio`s the color will run a littlebitbit darker in the new formula.
What I did was I just mixed the ratios that I always used and then after mixing I added two scoops extra of the Ivory, and that worked. For me anyway :)
That is kind of funny since I seem to use less white. But you used the heavier formulas....and I used the lightest. So it kind of makes sense.

So, Laurie, to answer your question to replace the Original (lightest) foundation with All Purpose, you will need a little less white.
Faves-