Foundation Recipes :-)

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
ladycattat

Re: Foundation Recipes :-)

Post by ladycattat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Well, I tried the new all purpose foundie yesterday. I used 9 white and 1/2BG and 1/2yellow booster. it came out perfect! I think us paler ladies have a bit of an easier time finding our mix than our darker-toned sisters. To be honest...I am going to need to wear it for a few more days to see whether I notice any difference between the All Purpose formula and the original one...they both seem to work equally well for me!
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
cosmeticcosmos

Post by cosmeticcosmos » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Ok, so far I think I wear Buttery Gold, as that is the best match. Despite having mostly yellow in my skin, I feel it needs a little kick of something else, like beige? I'm not sure if that makes sense. I just want to tones down the yellow ever so slightly. Which bases should I try to do this with?
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:42 pm

cosmeticcosmos wrote:Ok, so far I think I wear Buttery Gold, as that is the best match. Despite having mostly yellow in my skin, I feel it needs a little kick of something else, like beige? I'm not sure if that makes sense. I just want to tones down the yellow ever so slightly. Which bases should I try to do this with?
Probably Ebony would work best...you will need a little more white, too.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
cosmeticcosmos

Post by cosmeticcosmos » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Ok, so I think I got my color figured out for the most part. I'm using 1 scoop of Buttery Gold with about 5 scoops of the Medium Coverage, but I think there is a problem with the finish. In general I love all matte makeup, and shun anything remotely dewy looking since I can get very oily, that is until yesterday. The finish on the medium coverage is very matte and flat looking. So, I finished it off with some oil-control blur powder which did help alot to break up the flatness. I'm hesitant to go with the original coverage foundation b/c I do like some coverage, but I will try making a batch of that tomorrow. Is there anything I can add to the medium foundation to make the finish less flat or should I be using another formula?

Thank you!
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:09 pm

cosmeticcosmos wrote:Ok, so I think I got my color figured out for the most part. I'm using 1 scoop of Buttery Gold with about 5 scoops of the Medium Coverage, but I think there is a problem with the finish. In general I love all matte makeup, and shun anything remotely dewy looking since I can get very oily, that is until yesterday. The finish on the medium coverage is very matte and flat looking. So, I finished it off with some oil-control blur powder which did help alot to break up the flatness. I'm hesitant to go with the original coverage foundation b/c I do like some coverage, but I will try making a batch of that tomorrow. Is there anything I can add to the medium foundation to make the finish less flat or should I be using another formula?

Thank you!
We Have a Glow Base just for such situations. I usually replace about 2 of the scoops of white in my recipe (1:14) with the Glow Base. For you, I woould start with replacing one, and then maybe 2 if it is not quite enough.
Faves-
meadowbird

Post by meadowbird » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:13 am

So, I'm pretty happy I've found a match. I tried when I first started using SN aaaages ago but it all seemd too complicated so I gave up! I rarely wear foundation because I kind of feel more like me when my freckles show (I just cover up the naughty bits with concealer and use a perfecting powder) but I really like to have options and sometimes, like for a night out, I want to feel extra spesh. My match is 6 scoops Ivory and 1 scoop Buttery Gold (could do with a smidge of Warm Gold but it's 98% perfect).

Aaaaanyway, my question is I'm using the Origninal formula and I find it quite drying on my cheeks, from my temples to my jaw. My t-zone gets pretty oily but I've started using the oil control blur on it and it's working a treat. Does anyone find the all-purpose formula less drying, what with no silica, and would I have to change my ratio?
Blush : Lovelace ~ Flare ~ Stardust ~ Foxxy
Eyes: Scandal ~ Neuron ~ Sprite ~ Zest
Lips: Zinnia ~ Ambrosia ~ Pretty Please ~ Mango
carro

Post by carro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:13 am

Some days I don´t feel the need for foundation, just some perfecting powder or something like that. I do find the untinted perfecting powder a bit too white and the tinted blur a little off and a tad too dark.

If I like to tint the perfecting powder with my foundation base color (ebony) how much do I need? Can you take the same ratio as with the ivorybase or will it end up too dark, since the perfecting powder is more transluscent?

I use about 1:11 ebony and white right now. Where would be a good place to start with the untinted perfecting powder + ebony?
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 am

carro wrote:Some days I don´t feel the need for foundation, just some perfecting powder or something like that. I do find the untinted perfecting powder a bit too white and the tinted blur a little off and a tad too dark.

If I like to tint the perfecting powder with my foundation base color (ebony) how much do I need? Can you take the same ratio as with the ivorybase or will it end up too dark, since the perfecting powder is more transluscent?

I use about 1:11 ebony and white right now. Where would be a good place to start with the untinted perfecting powder + ebony?
I really have not tried this..... I do think it will be different than your foundation. And I have a feeling that more pigment than our foundation will look strange on, even if it looks right in the jar. My gut says mix it at about half strength (or double the white). If your recipe is 1:8....mix the finisher at 1:16. You can adjust from there (maybe add another half scoop of color), but don't add more color than your foundation recipe even though the product is sheerer.
Faves-
nicollback

Post by nicollback » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 pm

I am NC20 (hint too yellow)
EM Fairly Light Neutral
Meow Frisky Siamese

SN - 1 scoop Olive 1/4 scoop Buttery Gold to 12/13 Medium Coverage (depending on how pale I am feeling!)
Sirvinya

Post by Sirvinya » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:38 am

I'm feeling brave so here are some pictures of me without anything on my skin. I've just ordered the foundation sample set so I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a recipe? I've always thought I had pink undertones but they seem to have settled into beige now that I'm getting a little older.

No flash, indirect soft sunlight:

Flash, away from sunlight:

I'm currently wearing:
-Diorskin Nude 020
-Laura Geller Balance & Brighten Fair (a touch on the gold side)
-Sassy Minerals Cool Light
-MAC failed to match me and I haven't matched really in BE either