Basics for Skincare/Post Your Routine!

JenW

Basics for Skincare/Post Your Routine!

Post by JenW » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:05 pm

Now that we have moisturizers, I am thinking we need a little 'map' for ease of getting the right products for you in the right order.

Generally, good skincare goes in this format:
1. Cleanse
2. Tone
3. Treat (water based items like serums and spritzes; masks would fit in here, too)
4. Seal (oil based items or moisturizers)
5. Sunblock!

Here is the routine I have settled on........ for combo skin on the drier side. I will be 39 in a few weeks so I am trying to hydrate and treat. No real issues with oiliness since wearing MMU. Pores used to be largish around my nose (thank you AHA!), and I have some sun damage.

First, I use the KISS cleanser, morning and night. I love this cleanser and DD uses it, too. The foamer bottle is a must!!!

Honestly, I am not as good with the toning step because I had such issues with alcohol based toners in my youth. When I do tone, I use the Pore Refining. I also do use the AHA or BHA (both are chemical exfoliants) toners at night. Usually, I do the BHA if I feel some breakouts coming on. I also don't double up on exfoliants in one day. It ends up that I exfoliate about once a week with a manual exfoliator (like the Microdermabrasion Cream) and about three times a week total with the other two (AHA or BHA).

I have been using the Facelift Serum or the Super Serum. I also have the Rose which I really like. I use one of the first two I mentioned in the morning, and the Rose at night.

To seal, any one of the new gelled oils is great. Firming is probably my favorite (I am hoping this one comes out in fullsize), but I also like the Emu, Raspberry, and Hemp.

Ultra Sheer Zinc as a makeup primer over a light sunblock cream make up my next step. I like my sunblock cream, but can always find a better option.
NOTE: If you are using the AHA and BHA toners, you need to be extra vigilant about sunblock!!!!!!!!

What is in your routine?
Edited to add.......What is your skintype? (this will help others find the right routine for them!)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
egerandi

Re: Basics for Skincare/Post Your Routine!

Post by egerandi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:12 pm

OK, here is mine. I have a base routine that I change up depending on time constraints, being too lazy to grab all the stuff from the fridge or forgetting steps :D

1. Wash - in the morning I use a simple honey cleanser either with or without something scratchy. At night I usually use my own OCM or Karen's apricot cleanser or that honey cleanser. Considering getting the KISS cleanser, because I know it's good to change it up once in a while.
2. Tone - in the morning I use my homemade toner with vinegar, at night either that or AHA or BHA, alternating and not every night.
3. Mask - when I remember, and only at night, maybe once a week.
5. Treat - In the morning, if I didn't exfoliate my face earlier, I use the super serum, let it dry and then the oil control serum. At night, again, if I didn't just exfoliate, I use the facelift serum. (I tried it once after exfoliation, oh, the horror!)
4. Hydrate - I have some HA serums from another company that I'm going through (sometimes mix it with a bit of aloe juice), and I also really like Karen's hydrating serums, the oatmeal especially. I spritz my face at this point.
5. Seal - For the morning I love Karen's raspberry gelled oil, and for night, I use the firming or the jojoba. I also have a basic cream from another company that I mix stuff into for the night. And spritz one more time to pat it all in :) Oh, and I use an eye cream at this point too, morning and night.
6. Sunscreen for the daytime: I mix in Karen's zinc powder with a tad of Monistat chafing gel, and that gives me a nice base to put the rest of my face on :D That and the raspberry oil seems to be enough for the occasional sun exposure I get for now.
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm 26, have large pores, as long as I maintain I only have the occasional breakout, but my skin it a little oily yet sensitive. Just noticed that I'm starting to react to skin care products in the shops that I didn't used to - thank god for SN

Okay guys heres mine, I'm starting at night.
1. Kiss cleanser every night to get rid of make up and other things (great tip for keeping pores small - cleanse your face after washing out conditioner so it doesn't get clogged in you newly clean pores)
2. I don't have it yet but I'll be using the pore refine toner
3. Green tea & Aloe serum (3 pumps)
4. My natural high night cream from superdrugs but will be replacing it with the raspberry moisturising when it arrives

Morning
5. No cleansing (I know, I know your supposed to but even with Karen kiss cleanser my skin just can't take it)
6. Green tea & aloe serum (3 pumps)
7. My Olay sensitive spf 15 moisturiser but will be replacing it with my raspberry
8. Oil control serum (3 pumps)
9. A little oil control blur
10. All that is topped off (over foundation) with my sunscreen spf 22 finishing powder
11. Strawberry spritz spary

Once a week
1. My skin can only take the microdermabrasion cream once a week (if that)
2. A mask - not too sure which one yet as I haven't had a chance to play around yet, but I'm thinking the oatmeal one.
Last edited by Ghost on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Foundation: 1: baggie 6: ebony: 7 glow
Fav blush: Steller
Fav Lippie: Symphony
Fav combo: cream 1st half of lid, 09:59 2nd half, chocolate twinkle in the crease with Blackheart over it blended out and vanillia on brow bone.
freesilk

Post by freesilk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:15 pm

I'm 27 with occasional break-outs (usually around that time of the month) and classically confused skin (usually dubbed combination skin).

Morning:
1. BHA Toner
2. Super Serum
3. Hemp Moisturizer
4. Holy Crow on smile lines
5. Apply all make up except perfecting powder and/or glow
6. Sheer Zinc powder on face, neck, exposed chest skin
7. Perfecting powder and/or glow

Night:
1. KISS Cleanser
2. BHA Toner
3. Facelift Serum
4. Hemp Moisturizer
5. Holy Crow on smile lines

Occasional Night Time Pampering:

a.) Microdermabrasion cream between steps 2 & 3

or

b.) Banana Pineapple Smoothie mask
Steam face with a few drops of tea tree EO added
Green Goddess mask
Steam face again with a few drops of tea tree EO added
Extract blackheads, applying tea tree oil directly after extracting
Apply Pumpkin mask

or

c.) Oatmeal & Honey Mask between steps 2 & 3
Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so. - Belva Davis
kitten1711

Post by kitten1711 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:41 pm

This post is a great idea - please forgive the iffy typing as I'm writing this from my pda.

Firstly, I'm 35 and have completely inexplicable melasma, so I always choose gentle, as natural as possible products which won't worsen my skin. Other than pigmentation my skin is pretty OK (for my age!!!) - normal, with occassional monthly breakouts.

PM
1. Use SN apricot cleansing oil to remove makeup & sunscreen
2. Was face with cleansing gel (Sainsburys organic you refreshing face wash) diluted 50:50 in foamer bottle to remove any oily residue & cleanse my skin
3. I don't use a toner, so just splash my face with cool water. Around twice a week I use SN Microdermabrasion Cream at this point. Apply a face mask 1 x per week after exfoliating, what I choose varies depending how my skin feels.
4. Apply Super Serum - allow to sink in / dry whilst brushing my teeth
5. I don't use moisturiser every night but if I feel that my skin needs it I apply Firming Moisturiser (or something else, as I've now run out of sample size
6. Apply Holy crow eye cream

AM
1. Cleanse with foaming cleanser as mentioned in step 2 above
2. SN Super serum as above
3. SN Raspberry oil moisturiser
4. Home made sunscreen - 1 part zinc oxide powder (pure zinc oxide, not SN zinc finishing powder) to 3 parts Elysambre white/pearl makeup base with a smidge of buttery gold.
5. Holy crow as above.

I have really enjoyed using SN skin care so far and I'm sure its had a positive effect on the condition of my skin overall. Bring on full sizes of the firming moisturiser

& I'm all set :-)
packgal

Post by packgal » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Evening:
(if I have lots of eye makeup on, i'll remove it with jojoba oil or the apricot cleansing oil. also, about once a week i'll use the microdermabrasion cream. i do it before cleansing because i find that the cleanser helps me get it all the way off)
1) gentle cleanser (like KISS)
(weekly i'll use a mask here. my favorite is the pumpkin)
2) 1-2 x a week i'll use acids. i use a BHA/AHA combo that i have had for a while (long before karen came out with hers). i have read that to get the maximum benefit, you should leave them on for 20 minutes before continuing with your skincare routine. after this they kind of self deactivate. if you get redness or are uncomfortable before 20 minutes, start with 5 and then build up to 20.
3) i like to tone after my acids, because i like the idea of wiping away any gunk or dead skin cells that the acids have loosened up. i love the pH balanced cleanser, i pat it on and wipe away with a cotton pad.
4) mist with hydrosol/spritz (i've got a strawberry spray on the way!)
5) aloe & green tea or oatmeal serum (i also have rose and vitamin C to try next)--i use the super serum on top of my melasma on nights that i don't use acids.
6) jojoba or emu moisturizer
7) eyelash conditioner

Morning:
1) rinse with water (i don't use cleanser either ghost!)
2) serum from another company to help with redness (it has worked great--has, among other great stuff, seabuckthorn seed oil, niacinamide, superoxide dismutase, DMAE, and caffeine)
3) hydrosol/spritz
4) aloe and green tea serum
5) jojoba or emu moisturizer

edited to add: i'm 29 with normal to dry skin. had lots of acne issues when i was younger, but now i get blemishes only occasionally (unfortuntely they are usually the large, red, painful kind that take awhile to go away). i have enlarged clogged pores on my forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin, which have really improved since i started using acids. i have melasma on my upper lip and redness on my cheeks, nose, and forehead. stuff that hasn't worked for me: vit C, DMAE, and peptide serum (i'm sensitive to something in this--it made my skin turn red and burn); firming moisturizer (by itself it was ok, but after acid treatments, worst redness and burning sensation ever!); pore refining toner (did not see any difference with this); holy crow (doesn't help my forehead lines--don't have any fine lines around my eyes yet to try it there).
Last edited by packgal on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shirin

Post by Shirin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Wow this post is such a great idea!!
I am really lucky at the moment, with the pregnancy I have really perfectly clean and glowing skin at the moment, and I just cleanse it and moisturize, that's all. :D But after the pregnancy i will start a serious routine. I am 34 and I have to take care of my skin now, i hate those fine lines! :(

Kitten, I can't believe it that you are 35, you ahev such great skin, and Jen you are 39?? wow, you ladies all have great smooth skins ;) !
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:39 pm

I am so glad everyone is posting here. It will definitely help the ones looking for skincare tips.

I thought I would also post the 'routine' for my Daughter who is 11 1/2. (I put routine in quotes because she is not quite to the point where she does this every morning and night, but it is a good age to start emphasizing good skincare.) She is just beginning to show signs of teenage skin. She has a few blemishes here and there, and she has very sensitive skin and is prone to eczema.

Morning and Night:
1. Cleanse with KISS Cleanser(a foamer bottle 1/3 full of cleanser and the rest water; I do the same with mine.)
2. Tone with Strawberry Spritz (I really hope everyone likes this. I had the opportunity to use it twice before she took my tester!!)
3. Green Tea & Aloe Serum
4. No moisturizer, yet, but I am giving her Hemp Moisturizer as soon as I get my hands on some!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:25 pm

I change my routine daily according to what my skin needs and if I need to correct any problems that occur. Basic info and routine as follows:

Age 34, dehydrated skin (producing too much oil and not storing enough water, looks crepey like scrunched tissue, not smooth, common dehydration sign is enlarged pores and slightly sagging contours)

AM:
Basic wash - foaming gel cleanser - current cheapy but loved Kiss cleanser (pending saving up for a spree!)
Spray on a hydrosol (like rosewater, loved Strawberry Spritz). This changes according to need, sometimes I like Melissa water, sometimes rosewater, chamomile, neroli etc.
My HG dehydration buster - Green Tea and Aloe Serum. I would not *dare* go without this now. 2-3 pumps, including neck and the v-shape red bit where my neckline catches sun exposure.
New potential HG - Jojoba Gelled Oil. I cannot say enough good things about how this is a simple but genius product. Locks in the precious hydration and seals it in (think waterproofing it in!)
Eyecream - currently using Decleor Hydra Floral Eye & Lip Mask, but as a daily eye cream (a tip from an expert).
Sunscreen - not at the moment as my lifestyle means I am rarely outdoors during daylight hours, so I use Karen's Zinc powder in a 50:50 mix with my regular Medium Ivory Foundation base - so far, that works for me.

PM:
Cleansing Oil to remove mineral makeup thoroughly. Currently using Decleor C.O. (a sweet almond oil base with lemon and petitgrain, quite simple and effective as SAO is very lubricating but not penetrating, great for massaging the pores clean). Often make my own, usually with a jojoba oil base, sometimes with frankincense oil, maybe geranium or whatever is needed)
Foaming Gel Wash Cleanser, just to be sure.
Mask, if needed
Hydrosol and Serum. Currently falling in love with Super Serum, battling for my affections with the VitC-peptide serum - it's a close call, both have remarkable results.
Currently need a moisture cream, so am using up Neals Yard Hydrating Frankincense Cream (good, but not great)
Finish with Jojoba Gelled Oil, or skip the cream and just use the Gelled Oil.

Exfo:
As and when required. I *love* the microdermabrasion cream (lovingly called 'scrubby' cream when I can't remember how to spell it). I found a new trick that suits me - take a small blob of scrubby cream, say enough to cover the white of your fingernail. In the palm of your hand, drip out about a half a teaspoonful of Cleansing Oil. Blend the two together and use that as an easier-to-spread-around lighter touch scrubby treatment when my skin needs an exfo but needs it done gently. Always follow an exfo of any description with extra moisture, so a hydrosol and extra pump of serum is mandatory.

AHAs:
If I use AHAs, I find that I mist them onto my skin at night and leave it for about an hour. I then wash it off. I don't leave it on or apply other products on over it. That works perfectly well for me - at most, every other night. In practice, usually 2-3 times a week for a week, then not at all for a few weeks until I need a booster.

BHAs:
Don't need to use them regularly. When I realised that the serums had such a radical effect to improve the hydration and the turgidity of my skin cells - making pores firmer and function better, therefor less wide open and more toned - I didn't need to go on mission cleaning out my pores quite so much as they naturally reduced in size. Oil Cleansing is sufficient now, with the occasional clay mask.
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 pm

My skin is dry, oily, acne-prone, sensitive, red, inflamed, fragile, etc etc etc. You name it, I have it. I've even had eczema patches and frostbite on my cheeks so that's sometimes fun in the winter.

1. cleanse to get makeup/dirt off
2. cleanse AGAIN to actually get skin clean (learned this from petrilude's blog http://www.petrilude.com/)
2.5: (OPTIONAL: exfoliating mask or scrub)
3. toner
4. Oatmeal Serum
5. Hemp Moisturizer
6. Makeup
7. Setting spritz (Aubrey's or Strawberry Spritz)

I use regular, natural soaps to cleanse. I may try KISS cleanser if ever get some more money.
I use Aubrey's combo/oily toner called Blue Green Algae (I think) but anything for sensitive skin is fine usually.

BHA toner: I use this when I pluck my brows or when I shave or wax to prevent infection/in-growns. It's too harsh for my face on a regular basis though.
Pumpkin Mask: I'm testing this. I haven't decided yet.