new to the site

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
ruby

new to the site

Post by ruby » Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 am

Hi everyone...my first ever post!

im new to mineral makeup, but havent found the perfect product. after hearing so much abt silknaturals and going through these forums i must say tht i want everything from the site....LOL...anyways just as a starter im getting the sample kit for the foundation to creat my colour, however would like to purchase some full sized products. I am medium-tan...usually medium or a shade darker. asian/indian...black hair and dark brown eyes. and im yellw toned with just the hint of pink. could u plz recommend me some products to get started with?
abt 5 eyeshadows ( highly shimmery and very matte dont suit me so anything in the middle or more subtle?)
few lipglosses,lipstciks and demi glosses...(i normallyy wear well pink,nudes,browns,purples oranges, coppers etc...so im looking for the creme la creme of SN lippies!)
best glow colour for my skin
basic brushes to get started...

Thanks everyone in advance., please let me know asap so i can put my order thru :D

Rubee (PS. sorry ruby i noticed after my sign up tht u r ruby too so ill sign in with a slight spelling variation!)
JenW

Re: new to the site

Post by JenW » Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 pm

Welcome to the forum, Ruby!

We can start with the lippies. I wish I had some experience with the DemiGlosses, but they just came out yesterday. From what I have heard, they are the perfect mix of the gloss and lipstick formula. It sounds like you wear about any lip color well. You could probably pick one of those that strikes your fancy and be good! Of those, I would say Grace is the safest, but with your coloring Capricious or Tickled Pink might be great. I am really looking forward to these because I am not much of a lipstick wearer.
For Kisser Slickers (the gloss formula) all around favorites are Hot Blooded and Breathless. If I remeber correctly, your coloring and depth looks much better with the more intense colors. For a non-shimmer reddish try Jaybird, for another pretty universal color, try Pout. In the nude category I like Birthday Suit, but I am not as yellow as you. The girls with the yellower tones seem to prefer Jaybird. Razzle Dazzle and Rare Berry would be good bets, too. (I haven't really narrowed this much, have I?)

For blush off the bat, I am going to suggest Lovelace. There are a few others that would be great, too, like Babydoll, Forbidden, and Vixen.

For finishing, Love Lure will be your ideal. I am between light and medium in tone and it shows up as a light bronzer on me. However, it might not hurt to sample Tempt Tryst at 99 cents.

For a glow, I think Halo if you like golden, or Heavenly if you want more of a rosey color.

Eyeshadow is such a huge category. Since you seem to want mid range in the shimmer category any of the ones from the Stonewashed Nudes Clone with shimmer would be good (Slate, Aztec, Moonstone, Quartzite) but they are pretty neutral. Some others that might work are: one from Fawn Pink and Scallop Pink and definitely Vanilla (IMO you want your highlighter to have a little bit of sparkle). I am not generally a fan of lots of sparkle, either, but I have found that I can blend enough to knock it down a notch if necessary. In a few days I will have lots more info on the new products. If you want something other than neutrals, I can update later with my take on the new ones. One thing I will say about Karen's mattes, is that they do have a nice texture. They are not totally opaque. You might have to try one eventually.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Fri May 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Ruby
I'm not Asian, but have yellow undertones, usually wear warm mediun neuteral foundations. My current SN mix is 1 ebony : 5 white and just a little warm gold added, I just love Lovelace as a blush and Lovelure FP, although I"m looking forward to trying tympst tryst ( the new golden FP) and my favorite lippie is Skinny Dip.

Hollis
ruby

Post by ruby » Sat May 17, 2008 4:23 am

thanks tizzylou.... u have narrowed down very nicely, will look at those recommended colours... and thnks for the foundation tip, it will good to keep the recipe in mind...

Jen W...wow...thats so comprehensive...will defenitely look at ur recommendations! u have helped me narrow down a lot (trust me i had all of ur recommendation plus half the site on my shopping cart until i found out tht i can easily add them to my wishlist then move them to my shoppingcart once im ready to purchase!) :lol:

but yeh thanks a lot...im just working on my final order...its so hard for the first order...im sure once i have as many eyeshadows as u it may be easier to shop on SN :P

ruby
ruby

Post by ruby » Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Just placed my first ever order...and got the brush set...so many things...im so excited...forgot what i ordered so will update once i get my gooddies ;)