Eye & Lip Colors for blue eyes/blond hair?

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
lostinabook

Eye & Lip Colors for blue eyes/blond hair?

Post by lostinabook » Thu May 15, 2008 10:41 pm

I would like to get some lippies & some shadows, but am not sure which colors will work. I have blue eyes, dark blond hair, & pale-ish skin. I'm still working on a foundation match in Silk Naturals, but right now I'm using a mixture of 1 WG:1 Ebony:1 BG:30 White. I'm a Frisky Chartreux in Meow & a Sandy Fair in EDM.

I have a few shadows in my cart right now--Aztec, Charmed, Fire, Honey, Quartzite, & Sprite. At home I have Mink (which I really like) & Grassroots Green (which I think is pretty, but can't figure out how to use properly on my lids). I also have BE's Blush, Vanilla Sugar, & Pebble for my eyes. Will the colors I have in my cart work for me? Do I need other colors? I'm ok on liners, but I just have no clue re:shadows.

I also have Berry Crush, Berry Nice, Capricious, Gold Blush, & XOXO in my cart for lippies. I really only want to get 2 in this order & I'm pretty sure one of them will be Berry Nice. Suggestions? I have a couple of brownish lipsticks that I like & a pink neutral gloss, but that's about it.

Thank you for any help!!!!
Rhys

Re: Eye & Lip Colors for blue eyes/blond hair?

Post by Rhys » Thu May 15, 2008 10:52 pm

They all sound good, really. Now, if I were going to pick some shadows for your colouring, I think I'd go with:

Idolize (hard to go wrong here if you have blue eyes)
Taupetastic (ditto)
For a highlight for either or both of these: Whisper, Whipped Cream, or Boom

You could use the Grassroots Green as a crease colour or other accent colour with the Taupetastic or Idolise. Or you could use it as a lid colour. The Grassroots Green would also go well as a lid colour with Sprite as a highlighter. It would also go really well with Honey. Quartzite and Aztec look good on everybody, so those are hard to go wrong with, as does Honey. And both Honey and Sprite make great contrast colours to Charmed.

I LOVE Mink - it's my everyday go-to liner colour.

I'm not familiar with BE colours, so I can't help you there.

That probably didn't help, did it?

Berry Nice will look Berry Nice on you, and if you've got slightly warm-toned skin, I'd suggest Berry Crush. Or you could go with Hot Blooded, which is the red that works on everyone, and if you don't have a red that'd be the choice I'd make, but maybe that's just me. Foreplay is sort of like Berry Crush, but not quite as shimmery, and it seems to be more universal - it's worked on everybody I've put it on, regardless of skin tone.

It's awfully hard to go wrong with the lippies.
lostinabook

Post by lostinabook » Thu May 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! That was very helpful. I think I will get Hot Blooded. I don't have any reds at all & I just bought a bottle of very red nail polish. :)

Off to view the eye colors you suggested :)
maggishness

Post by maggishness » Fri May 16, 2008 4:21 am

Can I tag along on this thread instead of creating another one? I hope so.
I would like to ask something similar, except my eyes are sort of blue/grey and my hair brown. I haven't been able to get a foundation match with SN yet (if anyone has suggestions, they are most welcome), but my best matches in other brands are Lumiere lgiht med cool or mix of EDM fair medium and medium. I tend to go mostly for cool colours, though sometimes brownish lippie works. I am looking for recs for lipgloss/stick/the new formula. I have tried birthday suit and bliss and like them both ok, but would like something pinker, I think. Currently in my cart I have breathless, hot blooded, grace, rapture and indulge, but really I only need one or two lippies. What do you guys think?
Oh, and I would also like to ask for blush recs. Am currently looking at geting samples of climax, foxxy, babydoll and flirt (would like to reduce the number if possible) as I think those look most like something that would suit my colouring without being over the top (I have quite a bit of natural flush, so only want something very subtle, apply it with an FO brush).
Oh, and please none of the colours with carmine (do any of those blushes have it?), I try to avoid it (yes, I know I should be avoiding silk too, but it's so hard to get around in mineral makeup and still have the properties I like...I say to myself that at least I'm aware of my inconsistencies, which is more than many other people :) ).
Oh, and sorry for the ramble, I do that a lot :oops:
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Fri May 16, 2008 4:53 am

The more the merrier!

If you could post a pic, that would help with the foundation shade, but if you're light-med cool in Lumi, I'd say start with 8 or 9 white scoops, and 1 ebony. You may need to adjust the ratios a little, but it's a starting point.

From the site re lippies: Colors that contain carmine: BonBon, Gold Blush, Sweetheart, Infatuation, Rhonda, Sherry, Pout

If you're very cool, then Seedy is a great lip colour - on me, it's pretty close to a my lips but better shade. Berry Nice is universally flattering, Ashley is A Very Bright Pink, but it's wearable, and might go well if you've got dark hair. I haven't tried the new formulas yet, so no can say with certainty, but it looks like there are a lot of pinks in there.

As for what you have in your cart: Hot Blooded is a beautiful, wearable red. Breathless looks good on just about everyone, too. Rapture is a lovely rosey shade, and my fave lipstick. Indulge *might* be a little warm for you.

As far as I know, none of the blushes contain carmine.

Flirt is a good choice for a blush, I think, as is Climax. Foxxy is a bit on the warm side, so bear that in mind. Babydoll is a great shade of pink, and so is Tart (don't be terrified of the colour, it looks great on). I adore both Carnal and Pretty Plum, but then you're getting into plummy territory, so I'd stick with Babydoll and Tart or Tart Light (even regular Tart will work with the FO brush) if it's pinks you're after. Petal looks to be pretty good, but it's pale, and if you already have a natural flush it might not show up on you.

I'm probably not helping on the narrow it down bit, but with the blushes, you might want to try samples first and then you may find it easier to narrow down to two.
JeiaMoore

Post by JeiaMoore » Sat May 17, 2008 1:34 pm

I have dark blond/ light brown hair and blue eyes, and very pale cool skin (1 ebony to 18 white in SN).

I only have about 10 SN eyeshadows (mostly neutrals) and 7 lippies (mostly pinks or reds) but I can tell you my favorites so far are Whipped Cream for highlighter (looks very shimmery in the jar but somehow looks more sheer and subtle on the eye) ,Idolize for lid colour (shimmery gorgeous grey/taupe that can also look lilac/blue/gold depending on the light) and Lurid for contour/liner (an almost matte cool brown with grey and slight plum tones).

I also adore Tart Light for cheeks (terrifying in the jar, but when applied lightly looks as if you are glowing from within and healthy), Cheeky is also nice for a very subtle, almost nude look if you have pale cool or neutral toned skin (but it won't show up on anyone medium toned or darker).

My absolute fave for lips is Seedy lipgloss (every cool toned girl needs this, it gives lips a just bitten, flushed look. Think your lips but better, pinky red. Plus I think the slight touch of mauve makes teeth look whiter. Neutral toned girls could probably easily wear it too.) Berry Nice and Infatuation are very pretty also and my runners up (Infatuation says it has Carmine though FYI ).

Hope this helps :) .
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Sat May 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Rhys wrote:If you're very cool, then Seedy is a great lip colour - on me, it's pretty close to a my lips but better shade.
JeiaMoore wrote:My absolute fave for lips is Seedy lipgloss (every cool toned girl needs this
Just thought I'd throw it out there that i love seedy and i'm a warm neutral. I'm definitely on the warm side (all of my foundations have a yellow or golden hue and i use buttery and WG in SN) but I'm neutral enough that i can wear just about all of the lippies. Didn't want it to sound like seedy was only for cool-toned gals... In fact, it's supposed to be universally flattering...
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Sat May 17, 2008 8:45 pm

I can see how it could work on warm-toned girls - there's enough raspberry colour in it. But the weird thing is, I can put that one on with no makeup, and it's the perfect match. A MLBB on me.

I gotta put in another rave for Forbidden (did I do that already?) Gorgeous, gorgeous red blush, and even the pale and cool-toned can wear it thanks to the fibreoptic brush. It is absolutely stunning. I have a few 'sort of' reds, but this is a beautiful clear red red. Goes great with Hot Blooded.

I had a couple of paid readings today, so maybe I'll be able to afford full sizes of the rest of the blushes I am so lemming. I've got Tart Light and Babydoll, but I need f/s of Carnal and Pretty Plum (finally - wearable purple/plum blushes!), Forbidden, some of the new lippies, and at least the clear sealant/mixing medium for eye shadow and liner.

Okay, it'll take a couple more paid readings to get there, and I'm running low on Perfecting Powder as well.

It's nice to wish for things, though, and I'm so glad I've got the samples. I'm really loving the more pigmented blushes, and can't wait to try the new lippies.
maggishness

Post by maggishness » Tue May 20, 2008 8:09 pm

It's too hard! Karen has too many gorgeous looking lippies!
Rather than being able to narrow it down, I now have 7 lippies* and 4 blush samples** in my cart. I even put in Pout, even though it has carmine, just cause it looks and sounds so nice! And so does Berry Nice, but I really don't need more! ARGH!
I don't wear makeup every day, I really don't need that many lippies....though I do have 7 drugstore brand lippies that I probably will never use again (plus they are probably getting too old and should be tossed anyway), I only used 3 of them with any regularity.
WRT foundation, so far the best mix I've found is 1:8 ebony:white, but I do feel like it's a bit....beige/grey.

* Rapture, Grace, Tickled pink, Seedy, Pout, Breathless, Hot Blooded (are any of these so similar as to not bother?)
** Climax, Forbidden, Babydoll, Tart (which I don't think will work, but I feel like I have to try it, maybe I should try light instead)
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue May 20, 2008 8:59 pm

maggishness-
I wear the lippies whether I wear makeup or not. Also, I wear the clear to bed every night. I am not sure you need both Rapture and Grace. They are similar, but the Grace is more moisturizing, and the Rapture has more pigment. Tickled Pink and Pout are also similar, but Pout is a bit less pigmented. Usually everyone has a preference for either gloss or lipstick. If you lean toward the gloss side, get Pout and Grace. If you lean toward lipsticks, get Rapture and Tickled Pink (or Grace and Tickled Pink if you like moisturizing!) I have to say you need both Breathless and Hot Blooded. Could I be anymore confusing? ;)

As for Tart or Tart Light: I would say if you are a 1:8 (just like me) you will want the Tart Light. You might want the Tart if you are Medium in tone or darker. The last three blushes you will definitely need to use a light hand in application. The easiest way to accomplish this is with a Dual fiber brush, but as long as you can evenly load your brush (by using a swirly bowl or the like) and using a few grains of blush, it should work.

Another thing you can do for your foundation is to add in a bit of Warm Gold, or Buttery Gold. You will need to add more white to compensate if you mix it all in the same jar. I usually mix a little of both and keep them in seprate jars (1:8 Ebony:White and 1:11 Warm Gold:White). If my face needs a pick me up I use a little of the Warm Gold mix as a brightener. You might also be able to brighten your face with Date Bait, or Tempt Tryst Perfecting Powders.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com