Exfoliation 101

lilychemgirl

Re: Exfoliation 101

Post by lilychemgirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 pm

I am a scientist too (Chemist) but not quite as geeky as my husband (or clever, I have an MSc, he has a PHD, and he has an IQ in the 160s, which kind of boggles my mind if I think about it too much, lol).
I seem to remember (although I can't remember where from) that the highest recommended for glycolic was 8% for face, 10% for body if it was for regular use, but maybe I am making that up? Also, it doesn't make any sense to transfer those percentages over to other acids with different molecular weights, but maybe that is just a kind of industry standard, IDK.
I might wait, in the hopes that Karen will come out with a gel form ;)
Mineral makeup addict, Mama to three amazing girls, loving wife to Tom ♥
emmy2410

Post by emmy2410 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks a bunch karen for the information,

What happens if i exfoliate a few times but dun see any bad results on my face, do i have to stop doing that and just limit it to a few times a week. I love doing exfoliation as it really clears my dull face and i love that fresh look on the face. ONly sometimes i find that it dries up my skin...even though i have got oily skin.
TIA!!!
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:53 pm

emmy2410 wrote:Thanks a bunch karen for the information,

What happens if i exfoliate a few times but dun see any bad results on my face, do i have to stop doing that and just limit it to a few times a week. I love doing exfoliation as it really clears my dull face and i love that fresh look on the face. ONly sometimes i find that it dries up my skin...even though i have got oily skin.
TIA!!!
You can always see what happens....just take it slowly. Start every third day for a few weeks, then every other for a few weeks...then see if your skin can handle every day for 2 days, and then take a break for a day, etc. Progressing slowly is the key. And back off for a few days if your skin gets 'cranky'.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
karen1950

Post by karen1950 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm

sorry to ask again, but I've been reading that the chemical exfo aren't really safe, but on here it sounds that's not the case. I'm no expert, sounds like some of you are. Does anyone have more information on safety of BHA AHA?