Liquid Foundation

This is the Silk Naturals suggestion box!
Post your color requests, and other wishes here.
Oxana124

Re: Liquid Foundation

Post by Oxana124 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 am

I can't do anything with much oil in it or I break out. And I can't do jojoba oil at all, that stuff breaks me out always.
I use Jane Iredale BB Cream.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:05 am

Gorgeous wrote:
miyu wrote:
Gorgeous wrote:I've been looking into the vapour liquid foundation which runs at $48 a bottle.
I did the same today! :lol:

But, how about a SN version of RMS Beauty's (Un)Cover Up? It's all natural and seems easier to do than offering a lot of liquid foundation shades. The Uncover Up is offered in 4 shades currently, and I use the lightest as a cream foundation, applied with a kabuki. It sort of blends with your own skintone. Works great and gives good coverage (important! :)). I get up at 5am and was looking for the quickest and easiest make-up routine possible, and this product can also double as a concealer and be dabbed on with your fingers.

The ingredients are simple:
*Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, *Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, *Cera Alba (Beeswax), *Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, *Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol (non-GMO), *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, and may contain: [+/- Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499]

It's a great foundation but also really expensive. A Silk Naturals dupe would be really awesome!
I use the rms un-coverup as a concealer :) where ever needed then dust on a light powder. It's gorgeous! I'd love to see a silk naturals version of this as well! (i too use the lightest shade!)
oh yes, please!! i would love that! it is so hard to find all natural cream or liquid foundation that blends well. the ones i tried either have no coverage at all, or they dry so quickly on my face that i have no time to blend and it ends up streaky :(

so please please karen, work your magic ;)
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Oxana124 wrote:I can't do anything with much oil in it or I break out. And I can't do jojoba oil at all, that stuff breaks me out always.
I use Jane Iredale BB Cream.
Oxana, thank you for your suggestion. I checked out this BB cream but it has dimethicone in it which usually gives me breakouts unfortunately.

In the meantime I looked into BB creams a bit more and asked some beauty crazed friends at uni. I didn't find any BB cream that is 100% organic and natural and works wonders except for the Alex Organics Pure BB Cream which I could test thanks to an American classmate of mine. I played a bit with it, tried on its own and with SN finishing powder and SN foundation on top too, absolutely gorgeous result in all three cases. At $90 a bottle though I will give it a miss. It would be fantastic if Karen could make an affordable version!!!!!!!!!!!
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:21 am

My skin tends to do really well with silicones, its really the oils that cause problems for me.
I did find this list of silicone-free BB creams in case that helps you:
http://hope-inablog.com/bb-cream/list-o ... silicones/
kchalbi

Post by kchalbi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm

I've been following this thread since I too would be very interested in a liquid option! So I grabbed a sample of the Jane Iredale BB cream from a local salon and tried it out today. I'm impressed with the coverage while still maintaining a skin-like texture. It's also really comfortable on my dry, itchy (in the winter with all the indoor heating/icy wind in MN!) skin. I don't seem to react to silicones, and even find them to feel sort of protective in the winter elements. So I would definitely be interested in a product like this from Silk Naturals, I'd much rather support a small business-especially one that takes such care with choosing ingredients!
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:01 am

I found that using silicone-based products can be very deceiving, silicone provides you with a smooth skin that feels hidrated on the surface but on a longer term I experienced clogged pores and it dried out the deeper layers of skin. My beautician had to do several deep layer treatments to repair my skin.
So I'd be all for a liquid based foundation and BB cream for sensitive, dry skin without silicone.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Silicones are more or less "natural", they are derived from silica using a chemical process. They are lots of other products we consider natural that can only be produced by a chemical process. To get fractionated coconut oil from regular coconut oil, it must undergo processing as well, for example.
Silicone molecules are too large to penetrate the skin, they sit on the skin and form a layer which helps keep in moisture and keep out dirt, pollution, etc. Silicones are considered good for sensitive skin and noncomedogenic, meaning they do not clog pores or cause acne.
In hair care, silicones fill in damage and cracks in hair and prevent new damage from occurring.

However, some people can be allergic to silicones and suffer adverse reactions. This is probably the case with you, since you get a reaction to products that contain silicones.
Furthermore, since silicones coat the skin and help keep in moisture, they also keep in anything else present at the time of application, so oil, dirt, etc. Which can cause problems if one does not apply silicone containing products to clean skin.
And another thing to note is that silicones accumulate in our environment and pollute it.

I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything regarding silicones, just wanted to share my thoughts. I think what matters most is how your individual skin reacts to them, for some people it is a good reaction for some bad, same way with any ingredient.
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 am

i wouldn't necessarily compare the manufacturing process of silicones to that of fractionated coconut oil. silicones are the result of a chemical reaction between at least two ingredients, while fractionated coconut oil is coconut oil of which some of its original components have been removed (usually by destillation or crystallisation processes).

i have sworn off silicones because they only mask the problem, they don't cure or fix or prevent anything. just one example:
my bf was suffering from dandruff for years, and he always used head&shoulders shampoo for that reason. it did work, of course, but once he stopped using it, the flakes came back with a vengeance. nonetheless i forced him to stop using it and use an all-natural organic shampoo instead. it took him several months, but it got less and less and eventually he was dandruff-free. the only explanantion i could come up with: silicones act like a glue that stick the dead skin cells to the scalp, thus "preventing" dandruff short-term, but making the problem worse long-term!!

i also dislike silicones for the same reason i stopped using any mineral oil based products. they seal the skin and make me feel sweaty underneath. just recently i discovered that there is silicone in my handcream :o i mean, WHY?? and i was wondering why i always got sweaty palms when i used it.

so, to summarize: i would prefer a bb cream without silicones ;)
ErinL

Post by ErinL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:58 am

I would cry (almost literally) in happiness, if Karen came out with a liquid foundation/BB cream. Especially if she made a super-super pale warm shade. I cannot find a natural liquid foundation that is affordable and pale enough for me. Please, please Karen!???? :D :D

And I guess I'd prefer it without silicone--and that way if someone wanted silicones (like me), we could use a silicone-based primer underneath. But I'd be fine either way.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:23 pm

So I checked out the RMS stuff...not in person, but online. How is it different than the concealers we have on the site? I'm going to guess that their base is thicker/oilier, but I did my face with the #2 concealer today, and it looks great.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten