What do you do with unloved minerals?

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
Rhys

Re: What do you do with unloved minerals?

Post by Rhys » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:53 pm

See, this happens to me, too, though I have given away hundreds of eye shadows.

Still have about 300 left, and every time I go through them, well - I pull out some forgotten faves or things I never gave a fair chance to, or....

But it's kind of nice to be able to change the 60 or so colours I have room to have out on a whim. We all need our little luxuries :oops:
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:20 pm

i keep a LOT of color but when i do a cleanout, i fill a box and ship it off. usually for free or for the cost of shipping. it feels better than throwing it away and people are usually happy to get them. i have done sales on the forums but i dislike mailing that many envelopes. lol
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
kitten1711

Post by kitten1711 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Ooooh donating to a womens' charity is a great idea - beyond my Mum & a close friend or 2 there's no one else I can give my unloved stuff to (I'm an only child, none of my friends have daughters old enough to wear makeup and I work from home). I am not averse to chucking a couple of mistakes out but the stuff I have been hoarding (but not using) are full sized blushes from another MMU company bought for a 'bargain price' as part of their 12 piece kit when a nice looking special was on. They all turn either muddy or orange on me but throwing them out seemed like such a waste & I also feel a bit guilty about them being classed as 'mistakes' or 'unloved' - the charity option is much better; will look into that tomorrow so thanks for the suggestion :)

In addition to my tool box I have a much smaller container I keep in the drawer close to hand (the tool box lives under the bed); as well as my everyday items like mascara & clear cream liner sealer (for taming my brows) I keep a couple of different shadows/blush/lippies which I try to change regularly to avoid getting stuck in a rut & make sure I enjoy what I've bought - currently various peachy/pink tones of shadow now the weather is warmer and juicy, sheeny, pretty looking lippies (Precious & Peace) along with a couple of glows (Halo & Siren at the moment for a touch of extra colour).

Although I definitely prefer the natural look I like to change what I'm wearing according to the season so old favourites fall by the wayside (the slightly murkier, deeper shades) but I'm sure they'll be back come autumn.

Txx
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:32 pm

I know several poverty-stricken grad students who benefit from my cast-offs.

I've also sent stuff with my husband to his work -- when he worked at a restaurant where the waitresses knew me personally, they'd accept half-used stuff, no problem (apparently I am not disgusting).

I've never donated makeup to charities, but I have found women's shelters that accept unused (but not sealed) shower gels and lotions, so I assume they would accept MMU also as long as it's sanitary. They are always looking for clothes, shoes, handbags, etc also.
rubycat95

Post by rubycat95 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:06 pm

I usually do RAOK and send them to "un-suspecting" MMU addicts like myself that I have met, mostly on Vox. I also have a great SIL that uses MMU and I offer her my gently used hand me downs as well. I need to go through my stash soon and get rid of all the stuff I don't use. I am running out of room and hate the fact that they sit there, unloved. If it's a big huge bunch of stuff I will offer it for free, but maybe ask a small donation for shipping and send that to one of my favorite charities.
toogerbug

Post by toogerbug » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:23 pm

I had some sample baggies from another etailer and some NYX pigments that I hated the jars because you couldn't get into them. I ordered some 3 gram jars (without sifters) off of ebay (Jarworld, I think?) (See MUA if you want some recs for sellers.) and mixed my tiny sample baggies and NYX pigments.

I ended up transforming colors I didn't like into many I did and even the ones that are just "Okay" are still better than they were before. It was messy but fun! I used a toothpick to stir and then shook to mix with the cap on good and tight. I would add a little more light or dark or whatever until I got the color I wanted. It took about 3-4 sample baggies (1/16 or maybe 1/8 t?) to fill the 3 gram jars.