General Hints & Tips

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
karen
Site Admin

General Hints & Tips

Post by karen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:56 pm

I'll start!
All of our blushes are lip safe- that means that you can combine them with clear gloss to make an infinite variety of colors! The easiest way to do it is to dip your gloss into your blush, and then apply!

Another fun one is that we only really use about 15 different ingredients (excluding colored pigments) for ALL of our products- so they're really multi-use. You can use extra foundation from your sample kits as brow powders, eye shadows, or anything else you would like! Anything green or blue can't go on your lips, and you can't use Climax on your eyes, but other than that- the sky's the limit!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
JenW

Re: General Hints & Tips

Post by JenW » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:41 am

Jen's Foundation Tips

I know there are several of us who mix over 8 parts of white to a darker base color. The measuring spoon Karen sends in the kit is a 1/32tsp. My first tip is to use a 1/4 tsp. for 8 parts (and even a 1/2 tsp for 16 parts and so on). If you are lucky enough to own a US measuring spoon that is labeled as a 'Dash' it is equal to 1/8 tsp. and 4 parts. There may be a little adjusting in your ratio when going up to larger spoons, just because the more scoops you have to make, the results change slightly. For those of you overseas, let me know what type of measuring spoons you use if they are different, and I can probably figure something close for you, too.

I always recommend mixing without a sifter. On one occasion when I was mixing my foundation with the sifter on, a large portion of the darker base got above the sifter and was not evenly distributed. As a result, my color was off. Luckily, this foundation is adjustable, but it took a little longer to get it right.

I have heard many recommendations on where to test. Most recommend that you test on your jawline. There are a few that recommend testing on your upper chest. It really is a bit of trial and error to figure out what will work best for you. Just remember not to judge the color until it has been on you skin for a bit. You can easily spot an undertone mismatch right away, but a depth mismatch takes a bit more patience.

If you have any other questions, I am happy to help!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Ann

Post by Ann » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Okay.. to add on to the foundation tip..

Use a zippie bag to mix your foundation. This way everything would be mixed evenly. Plus its cleaner too!
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:21 am

That's brilliant! I love the idea of the bag- that's super super smart!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:37 am

I agree with Karen! That is an awesome tip, Anne! The next time I mix, I am doing this!!!

:D
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Aden

Post by Aden » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Karen,

You really can't use Climax blush on eyes? Darn! :( I often make my blush do double duty as eye color - good for a simple monochrome look, and easier for touch-ups on the go - don't have to cart around lots of jars and brushes! Mmm,... will have to find an eyeshadow in a similar color then - am off to start searching the SN website! :P
Kahani

Application methods

Post by Kahani » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:11 pm

How do you girls build coverage? With mineral foundations, I tend to lay a base foundation with the Kabuki brush, then use a foundation brush over areas that need more coverage, and finally a concealer brush dipped in the mineral foundation. I then apply the perfecting powder with my foundation brush and buff lightly all over with the kabuki brush to even things out and give it a "glow". Now as you can see i"m a wee bit brush mad. How do you girls do it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beauty Blogger @ http://soloverly.blogspot.com
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Kahani ~ I experiment *all* the time trying new methods! Most often, I use a small amount with a flat-top kabuki & go around the perimeter of my face where my sun-damage is most apparent & where I do need coverage. Then I sprinkle more in my dish, swirl that same brush in it, spritz the brush with something to moisten it a bit (so it's just damp, not wet), then I apply around perimeter 1st & continue to cover my whole face. That gives me the most coverage where I feel I need it most. A bit of concealer stippled on (with my fingers) along jawline finishes off the look after I've applied my foundation. Other brushes for blush, any contouring, & of course a finisher. It's my quick & easy way!

mikie
lil mikie lil abie.jpg
lil mikie lil abie.jpg (2.6 KiB) Viewed 6464 times
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)