Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
DandelionPicker

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by DandelionPicker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi JenW

I just received my sample kits and I'm a little overwhelmed! I am a fair to medium with no undertones, just neutral. Everything I try is too pink or too yellow on me...I'm also not olive. The closest foundation I've found is MAC NC20-25 but it's still a little too yellow sometimes. Can you help? Thanks so much :)

Horrible pic but I am wearing Urban Decay Naked in color #2, it is a very good match. This almost looks like I have pink undertones but I assure you I don't...I blame the office lighting.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (436.51 KiB) Viewed 33179 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:55 pm

DandelionPicker-

While you might not be a true olive, I do think you will fall into our Olive category. Our Olive is the warm side of neutral, our Ebony is the cool side of neutral. Warm Gold goes more warm than Olive, Buttery Gold more yellow.

It could be the lighting, though. If you really want me to double check, a face with no makeup in daylight is best. I can't really get a super accurate read (guess, really! LOL) on indoor lighting.

I would also start with trying to match in Medium Coverage. The heavier the coverage, the more accurate the match has to be.

(I did see your post late last night, but am much better color reading in the daytime. New members go into moderation for a few posts initially, which is why you did not see your first post. It enables us to keep out the spammers.)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
vivianxyw217

Post by vivianxyw217 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:54 am

Hi, I'm new to silk naturals and I'm going to get my first order. I tried meow cosmetics before, Korat 1 fit in my skin immediately, but 20 minutes later it's a little bit too pink/orange on me, Korat 0 is a tiny little bit too pink too. When I try Manx 0, I feel the skin tone pretty close but a little bit too light, a mix of Korat 1 and Manx 0 seems work well, I didn't buy the sample pf Manx 1, so I guess a Manx 1 a may also fit me well. I'm an Asian girl with fair/light acne skin, but I have some acne (not too much) and acne scars, also some redness.

Do you have any good suggestion about the foundation formula and recipe? Shall I use medium coverage or heavy coverage? If I'm buying concealer, which shade shall I get?

Under eye(I have heavy dark circles): P30? or P40?
Face:#1 or #2?
HD foundation: G10? G20? or G30?

Could anyone give some suggestion about the shades of these products too? Thank you so much.
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 pm

vivianxyw217 wrote:Hi, I'm new to silk naturals and I'm going to get my first order. I tried meow cosmetics before, Korat 1 fit in my skin immediately, but 20 minutes later it's a little bit too pink/orange on me, Korat 0 is a tiny little bit too pink too. When I try Manx 0, I feel the skin tone pretty close but a little bit too light, a mix of Korat 1 and Manx 0 seems work well, I didn't buy the sample pf Manx 1, so I guess a Manx 1 a may also fit me well. I'm an Asian girl with fair/light acne skin, but I have some acne (not too much) and acne scars, also some redness.

Do you have any good suggestion about the foundation formula and recipe? Shall I use medium coverage or heavy coverage? If I'm buying concealer, which shade shall I get?

Under eye(I have heavy dark circles): P30? or P40?
Face:#1 or #2?
HD foundation: G10? G20? or G30?

Could anyone give some suggestion about the shades of these products too? Thank you so much.
Yes, I would sample the HD foundation in G10, G20, and G30; all G shades are leaning golden (no pink). I can't narrow it down to one. For eyes, I think the P40 will definitely be too dark, but P20 and P30 make sense (these are peach in tone). Face #2 (neutral in tone).

To mix foundation, start with Medium coverage. It is easier to get a closer color match with lighter coverage. I am thinking Buttery Gold 1 scoop color to 10ish white. Buttery Gold is golden in tone, so yellow and just a little olive.
Faves-
ablordpa

Post by ablordpa » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:00 pm

I would like to mix my own foundation but I don't know what I should get and how to mix them.

I wear Gabriel Cosmetics Liquid Foundion in L-24. It's a perfect match for me.
Attachments
2014-02-26 15.21.00-1.jpg
2014-02-26 15.21.00-1.jpg (297.13 KiB) Viewed 33096 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:19 pm

ablordpa-

I would try Deep Ebony. You will likely be a 1 scoop color to 1 or 2 scoops of white. We don't really have a Deep Ebony Sample kit, so it will involve picking the formula you want in white as a kit and adding in a Deep Ebony Sample.

There will be a small scoop enclosed and a mixing jar. Measure level scoops kind of like you would use measuring spoons in the kitchen into the mixing jar, and shake it up.
Faves-
brighteyesgal

Post by brighteyesgal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi there! I really would like to order some concealer (under eyes) foundation, powder, and blush, but I'm lost on what to order. Especially when it comes to choosing a color and face makeup in general. I don't wear face makeup because everything breaks me out and ends up looking awful on me. Shiny, my pores look huge, etc. I recently switched to all natural face products and thought I would give natural makeup a try.
My T-zone is usally shiny/oily and cheeks are sometimes dry, sometimes not. Pimples, but usually nothing too terrible, only to me. ;)

I'm looking for a natural look, also matte, but not cakey.
CAM01469.jpg
CAM01469.jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 33073 times
This is a recent picture of me and I have nothing but eye makeup on. As you can see I have bags and wrinkles under my eyes, so I'd like something to cover, but not look cakey as well. I did get up at 430am that morning, so they are not always that bad. LOL. ;)

I'm sorry for the long post and I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you very much! :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 pm

brighteyesgal wrote:Hi there! I really would like to order some concealer (under eyes) foundation, powder, and blush, but I'm lost on what to order. Especially when it comes to choosing a color and face makeup in general. I don't wear face makeup because everything breaks me out and ends up looking awful on me. Shiny, my pores look huge, etc. I recently switched to all natural face products and thought I would give natural makeup a try.
My T-zone is usally shiny/oily and cheeks are sometimes dry, sometimes not. Pimples, but usually nothing too terrible, only to me. ;)

This is a recent picture of me and I have nothing but eye makeup on. As you can see I have bags and wrinkles under my eyes, so I'd like something to cover, but not look cakey as well. I did get up at 430am that morning, so they are not always that bad. LOL. ;)

I'm sorry for the long post and I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

I think you fall in the warm to neutral range. There is not much of a yellow tone, so yellow shades of foundation won't work. For mineral foundation, I do recommend a sample kit. I think Original formula is the best place to start as it is more sheer and easier to get a match than some of our other formulas. My guess is Warm Gold at a 1 scoop color to 8 or 9 white ratio.
For under eye concealer, I recommend HD Peach concealer in P30 or P40.
For blush, most matte shades that are not super orangey will work great. A bronzer might help, too. Beach Bunny is on the lighter side, so it is easier application that something that is deep in color.
For a finisher, you might want to consider something like Blur or Perfecting Powder. Blur tends to be a little more oil absorbent.
Faves-
brighteyesgal

Post by brighteyesgal » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:59 am

JenW wrote:
brighteyesgal wrote:Hi there! I really would like to order some concealer (under eyes) foundation, powder, and blush, but I'm lost on what to order. Especially when it comes to choosing a color and face makeup in general. I don't wear face makeup because everything breaks me out and ends up looking awful on me. Shiny, my pores look huge, etc. I recently switched to all natural face products and thought I would give natural makeup a try.

I think you fall in the warm to neutral range. There is not much of a yellow tone, so yellow shades of foundation won't work. For mineral foundation, I do recommend a sample kit. I think Original formula is the best place to start as it is more sheer and easier to get a match than some of our other formulas. My guess is Warm Gold at a 1 scoop color to 8 or 9 white ratio.
For under eye concealer, I recommend HD Peach concealer in P30 or P40.
For blush, most matte shades that are not super orangey will work great. A bronzer might help, too. Beach Bunny is on the lighter side, so it is easier application that something that is deep in color.
For a finisher, you might want to consider something like Blur or Perfecting Powder. Blur tends to be a little more oil absorbent.

Thank you for the help! I'm going to give these a try. :)
Ashb87

Post by Ashb87 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm

I ordered my sample kit and it's here so now I'm ready to mix my foundation. I'm fair with cool undertones...I believe. However I can tan pretty well. I'm not sure if I would need ebony or olive.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (226.72 KiB) Viewed 32978 times