The Cream Foundation Thread

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
cclee00

Re: The Cream Foundation Thread

Post by cclee00 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Lol thank you! A small thing, but it also seemed like maybe it was supposed to read "natural."
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
packgal

Post by packgal » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:08 pm

So I tried the cream foundation for the first time today. I was very excited as I have been wanting a natural cream or liquid foundation as my skin is drier than it has been in the past, and I felt like I needed a more moisturizing foundation than the minerals that I have been using.

Well it looked awful. So, so bad. It looked so dry, flaky, patchy, and accentuated every pore. I felt like it looked 100x worse than my mineral foundation does. I know I need to work on my skin hydration (I am going to start moisturizing at night in addition to my oatmeal serum, and i am always trying to drink more water, and I already apply moisturizer in the morning before makeup) and exfoliation...the exfoliation is hard because I am pregnant and can't use the acids that normally work well for my skin.

But does anyone have any other tips for me? I was just surprised that it looked way, way worse than my mineral foundation. I applied and blended with my fingers.
cclee00

Post by cclee00 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:10 pm

I've used my tube almost every day since it came two or three weeks ago. I like/need the heavier coverage, so I've definitely used up some of it. But at this point I can't seem to swivel it up any further. It's definitely not gone or even halfway. Is it my swiveling technique or does the tube get stuck? Does anyone have any tips? I really like the stick application.
Caroline

Makeup junkie extraordinaire and geek
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 pm

Ugh I'm so sorry! Yes, if you have drier skin, or flakes foundation just isn't awesome. The powders might be better because they "float" a little more.

AHA is pregnancy safe...I don't tend to recommend it because of the risk of melasma, but it should be fine this time of year. I use the Smooth Operator gently on my face every once in a while too.

Congratulations!

Is the tube stuck, or did it maybe break? Try warming it up a little maybe with a hair dryer, and see if that helps. If not- shoot me an email through the site.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 am

For those asking for cooler toned foundation....are you getting matches in Ebony? The Neutral is a little bit more yellow than Ebony- I kind of split the difference between Ebony and Warm gold.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
ludmila

Post by ludmila » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:05 pm

I purchased Deep Ebony starter kit a few years ago, but then realized that I should have gone for Ebony instead - had to use too much Ivory to get the right depth... The final result was just fine in terms of undertone, so I suppose Ebony is a closer match for me than the N cream foundation.
packgal

Post by packgal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks for your reply Karen. AHA is what I am using now. After a week of diligence with exfoliation and moisturizing my skin looks better. But I don't know if it will ever look good enough that I can use the cream. Guess I will stick with powdered minerals for now.
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi,

If I'm 2 Ebony:1Warm Gold:22White then which cream foundation is best for me? My guess is that it is between N20 and N40.
Many thanks!
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Springfairy wrote:Hi,

If I'm 2 Ebony:1Warm Gold:22White then which cream foundation is best for me? My guess is that it is between N20 and N40.
Many thanks!
Yes, I would try that range.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
lcash

Post by lcash » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Karen, regarding cooler toned cream foundation. I found that I do better with Olive in the summer, but in the winter I need some ebony. The cream foundation (40 Neutral) is a bit orange on me, so to counteract that, I need to layer on more pink powder foundation, which kind of defeats the purpose. Would love to see the cream foundation in a cool formula.