Caperberry eyeshadow... it's supposed to be green, right?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
fluttershy

Caperberry eyeshadow... it's supposed to be green, right?

Post by fluttershy » Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 pm

I know this is a "last chance" color, so maybe in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter too much.

I picked out Caperberry to try out because I really liked the idea of an olive green, and one of the reviews said it worked well for blue-grey eyes.

However... I don't think this is green at all! It doesn't look anything close to olive, or even a muted olive. It certainly isn't close to any of the pictures on the site, nor did it swatch similarly, even over the Stick 'Em primer. I'd describe this as a muddy brown matte.

Does anyone own this color and maybe could swatch it for me? I'm so baffled... I'm pretty certain I'm not colorblind!
Attachments
caperberry-swatch.png
caperberry-swatch.png (272.99 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
caperberry-jar-2.png
caperberry-jar-2.png (182.97 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
caperberry-jar-1.png
caperberry-jar-1.png (159.14 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
Xarata

Re: Caperberry eyeshadow... it's supposed to be green, right

Post by Xarata » Thu May 16, 2013 1:18 am

it's more of an army green/dark green khaki (like a real caper) though your swatches do look exceptionally dark...
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 am

Well, I don't own any matte browns... so there we go! I've been trying to find some colors that match blue-grey eyes, and brown is one, right? :)
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:21 am

Weird, my Caperberry definitely looks a lighter green and doesn't swatch like this. As Sam says, it's an army green.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Springfairy wrote:Weird, my Caperberry definitely looks a lighter green and doesn't swatch like this. As Sam says, it's an army green.
Aw. :cry: What a bummer, that sounds like what I was anticipating. And it's long gone from the site too, ah well. This is definitely more of a dark brown to me.
Heidiv

Post by Heidiv » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Did you ever send that pic to the SN crew so they can confirm it's Caperberry ?
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:46 am

Heidiv wrote:Did you ever send that pic to the SN crew so they can confirm it's Caperberry ?
I thought maybe making a forum post would give me some idea as to how close this is to other peoples' jars. I didn't really think of sending it to SN specifically... I purchased it when it was up on the "Last Chance" list a while back because I've always had my eye on it, so it seemed like a good time to check it out! However, now that it's gone, I don't think there's too much they can do. Ah well--it's my own fault for waiting so long to try it out!
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:18 am

I can weigh in on this, and I promise that I am not meaning to sound harsh if it comes across that way. I want to be helpful. Lighting makes all of the difference.

It should be a dark army green. To my eye, the swatches are not color corrected. The white backgrounds (I am assuming it is white paper) look very blue. The skintone looks gray/blue. Even the fairest of girls are usually not gray.

How did you take the pics, and under what kind of light? The lighting here looks like a compact fluorescent which makes everything much cooler toned than it is in real life. If you use the 'auto-correct' on most photo editing software, it corrects this kind of light even farther away from how it actually looks. I do see the green in there if I shift the pic warmer (of course I am doing this in my head because I have taken so many swatch pics. I should see if I can color correct the pics.)

I do use natural light compact fluorescents when taking my swatches, but I always have to warm them up a bit or the colors look off. I match what I see on the screen to what I see in the jar/swatch and the actual color of my arm. My pics come out pretty gray to start, and I know my skin is not that color.

The natural light fluorescents are great for looking at color in real life because you get a 3D representation. In my opinion, the camera's translation into 2D leaves out valuable information, so I try to edit the photos to give as much information as possible. I do my swatches in the same lighting all the time for consistency. Also, I edit to what I see in real life.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 am

Here are some quick edits. Hopefully, this helps. All I did was correct the exposure a little, and very slightly correct the hue to warmer (only about 6 to 8+ notches on a -100 to +100 scale where you start at 0 ). See how the white paper background is actually white? Our forum template is all ready slightly blue. The original pics were even bluer (The header with the word "Attachments" is white according to your screen.) Also, it would swatch like this on someone who is very fair and slightly cool toned.

There are lots of things you can do with this. It will make a great eyeliner. If you want a lighter shade of green, you can mix it with something lighter. For the non-commitment kind of mixing, I would shake some out into another container (enough for two eyes) and blend it with a brush.
Attachments
caperberry-swatchE.jpg
caperberry-swatchE.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
caperberry-jar-1E.jpg
caperberry-jar-1E.jpg (19.3 KiB) Viewed 5395 times
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
fluttershy

Post by fluttershy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:53 am

JenW wrote:I can weigh in on this, and I promise that I am not meaning to sound harsh if it comes across that way. I want to be helpful. Lighting makes all of the difference.

It should be a dark army green. To my eye, the swatches are not color corrected. The white backgrounds (I am assuming it is white paper) look very blue. The skintone looks gray/blue. Even the fairest of girls are usually not gray.

How did you take the pics, and under what kind of light? The lighting here looks like a compact fluorescent which makes everything much cooler toned than it is in real life. If you use the 'auto-correct' on most photo editing software, it corrects this kind of light even farther away from how it actually looks. I do see the green in there if I shift the pic warmer (of course I am doing this in my head because I have taken so many swatch pics. I should see if I can color correct the pics.)

I do use natural light compact fluorescents when taking my swatches, but I always have to warm them up a bit or the colors look off. I match what I see on the screen to what I see in the jar/swatch and the actual color of my arm. My pics come out pretty gray to start, and I know my skin is not that color.

The natural light fluorescents are great for looking at color in real life because you get a 3D representation. In my opinion, the camera's translation into 2D leaves out valuable information, so I try to edit the photos to give as much information as possible. I do my swatches in the same lighting all the time for consistency. Also, I edit to what I see in real life.
Ohh, that helps a ton! I've actually used it a couple times specifically as an eyeliner - I've never let a SN color go to waste. :)

I took several pictures in natural light, but I had trouble with the color like you said. I'm still getting the hang of swatching, it's tricky! This is a super helpful tip with taking "true to life" colors. Even in the natural light for me though, I really didn't see much in the way of green or army green, but that's okay. Maybe a thicker application will help?