Which serum and moisturizer is best?

crimsonshedemon

Which serum and moisturizer is best?

Post by crimsonshedemon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:35 am

I'm 37 yo, very very white. Have slight lines under my eyes.
I would like something to help with fine lines and wrinkles, texture, and firming if possible. I also use Renova. Is the serum compatible?

Which serum do you suggest?

Moisturizer- I'm very dry. Been looking at the Firming Moisturizer w/ CoQ10 & Renovage Intensive Moisturizer w/CoQ10 and Reonvage

Can this be used in the morning under sunscreen? At night with Renova over it?

Thanks!
JenW

Re: Which serum and moisturizer is best?

Post by JenW » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 am

Which Serum are you considering? We have many.

How long have you been using Renova?

I am looking into this more, but first of all it does sound like a general hydration serum would help. (Like Green Tea & Aloe, Oatmeal, or Botanical Hydration Serum.) My initial reaction from your description is that the dryness is causing quite a bit of what you are seeing, (more details would definitely help.) The Renova should be addressing the fine lines and wrinkles, and is probably a much more substantial remedy than a moisturizer with Renovage, as the Renova is by prescription here in the US. A hydration serum might be just the simple solution you need.

Do you have a moisturizer you currently use?
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:31 am

In theory anything with Renovage would be a nice compliment to the Renova- BUT I can't find any information about possible interactions. It's a situation where you should really ask your doctor before you add anything.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
crimsonshedemon

Post by crimsonshedemon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 pm

I've been using Renova for a while (over 7 years). I'm dry and flaky with or without it, mostly on my eyelids and under my eyes, around my mouth.
I don't think it's caused by the Renova because I quit it for a while (several months) and still had the same dryness. I've tried adding an AHA and it didn't help the flaking. Tried a BHA (not with the AHA) and it didn't help either. I use a Clarisonic or a washcloth to cleanse.

Moisturizer- I've been using CeraVe cream on and off. Use some oil (jojoba, coconut, avocado, argan) on top. Use Paula's Choice Resist antioxidant serum too.

Serum- I'm going to replace the PC Resist antioxidant serum
Facelift Vitamin C, DMAE & Peptide serum
Super Defense Serum
Awesome Sauce

Renovage- Sounds great!
Thank you for the help!
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:22 pm

I still think your skin sounds mostly very dehydrated. A general hydrating serum is my recommendation. There is no amount of antioxidants, Vitamins, or exfoliators that will fix this. In a way, I almost think you are trying to do too much. Whatever you decide to try, please run it buy your doctor.
Faves-
crimsonshedemon

Post by crimsonshedemon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Too much? Really? Think I should go to every other day with the Renova? Just using the Renova and the PC antioxidant serum right now. In the past, I've tried adding a AHA/BHA to see if that would help with the flaking since it seems I'm not exfoliating well.
I feel really dry and I have bought so many moisturizers and they don't really help. I have lupus so I know this is a factor. Ugh.

I will try a moisturizing serum right now and see how that helps. Do you prefer one over the other? Dry, flaky skin, very pale, not overly sensitive.

thanks for your help!
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:41 pm

I find the Oatmeal Serum to be more hydrating than the Green Tea & Aloe. The Botanical Hydration Serum is also good. I recommend purchasing samples to see if you like them.

As far as a treatment serum or moisturizer, it just depends on which ones agree with your skin. The only serum that is reactive with AHA is Super Serum. I would not try changing too many things at once, but the Awesome Sauce might be a good option down the road. Firming and Intensive Moisturizers are very similar. The Intensive just has heavier oils.
Faves-