International Shipping

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
karen
Site Admin

International Shipping

Post by karen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 pm

On January 27 the post office increased their international rates fairly drastically. Sending a 6 ounce package to Canada used to cost $3.75, and now it is $7.70- plus packaging and insurance.

The "good" part is that they've changed it slightly so instead of the price increasing every ounce it's every few ounces.

The new classes are:
1-2 ounces, 3-4 ounces, 5-8 ounces, 9-12 ounces, 13-16 ounces, 20 ounces, 24 ounces, 28 ounces, etc..

Shipping has always been "break even" at best for Silk Naturals- we do have a small handling charge that covers the cost of the packing materials, shipping software, and insurance.

Rather than raise the rates with no warning- I'll change everything on Monday, so you'll have through the weekend to order at the older rates. I don't like it one bit, but we can't absorb shipping prices that are sometimes double what we used to pay.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Yisha

Re: International Shipping

Post by Yisha » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Thank you for this warning, Karen, I was planning an order these days, so when i read your post I did it today without waiting any longer. I hope international shipping will still be affordable, at least for small orders!
You mentionned Canada but I guess it's the same for Europe?
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 am

Damn, I was sick and missed this post though I'm planning an order! Same question, does it affect shipping to Europe?
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
Yisha

Post by Yisha » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 am

Damn it, I forgot the most important thing in my order (lip balm with caffeine, a must have when you're student!), so I started a new order. I reordered the exact same amount than last time just to verify the price (2 eye shadows, 2 perfumes, 1 mascara and 1 lip balm) ... and the rates raised, indeed, at least for France :cry: (10,96$ for shipping to France the last we, 13,98$ today).
catlover

Post by catlover » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Wow shipping has gone up a lot! I put a few things in my cart just to see the price diff and for a small order to Canada it was over $10 dollars shipping! OUCH I will no longer be able to afford as many orders.. I will have to resort to placing bigger orders less often to justify the costs of shipping.
lilmspsypnts

Post by lilmspsypnts » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:34 am

That sucks but I'll live with it, it's worth it to me. However, I wonder if the shipping price is included in the whole "what your package has cost you" when it comes to the customs?

If I stick to buying for $30 or just above it, I never have problems with customs but not too long ago my package got stuck in customs and I wonder if it was because I had paid more for shipping that time (heavier package with serums/moisturizers)? Does anyone know?
bellatete

Post by bellatete » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 am

generally only the value of the goods is considered for the threshold and the calculation of the import sales tax (in austria the threshold is 22 eur, which is approx. 30 usd depending on current exchange rate).

however, customs duty is a different story. the treshold for this is usually a little higher (in austria: 150 eur) and just as with import sales tax, only the value of the goods is considered for the threshold. but once the value of the goods is over 150 eur, the calculation of the customs duty is done on the basis of the value of the goods plus shipping (and any other additional charges like insurance, packaging etc).

so, good news is, you can still order goods worth approx. 30 usd without paying anything extra at the customs office ;) of course i can only speak for austria, since i don't know where you are ordering from, lilmspsypnts.
Autumn

Post by Autumn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:06 pm

lilmspsypnts wrote:That sucks but I'll live with it, it's worth it to me. However, I wonder if the shipping price is included in the whole "what your package has cost you" when it comes to the customs?

If I stick to buying for $30 or just above it, I never have problems with customs but not too long ago my package got stuck in customs and I wonder if it was because I had paid more for shipping that time (heavier package with serums/moisturizers)? Does anyone know?
I am in Canada and that is my strategy. The $30.00 allows me to pick one eye shadow as a gift. Never ever had problems with SN orders.
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:32 am

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for the UK as we are slapped with VAT and above a certain threshold also with import duty which makes now both the smaller and the bigger orders uneconomical. Just tried and put in my cart a perfume and a new lippie and the shipping is more expensive than the value of the products!!! :o
What also really annoys me is that like this I will definitely not be able to order as frequently and will miss out on a lot of GWPs.
Karen, would there be a way around this?
Are there maybe courier companies which offer better rates? I see some European companies selling cosmetics or smaller items use them, otherwise shipping would put them out of business.
"Everything that is done for us, without us, is not ours."
landlord

Post by landlord » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:30 pm

yes just checked out some order scenarios and the shipping is bad news for the UK. Sad thing is that there isnt another product like this in the uk (custom blend mineral makeup) that I know of. Have you any plans to distribute in the UK?