Put my finger on it

toddandleah

Put my finger on it

Post by toddandleah » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:41 pm

This may not belong under skin care, but sort of overlap with make-up. When I first tried the all-purpose foundation, what I didn't like was that it didn't seem to offer the coverage I was looking for. I've moved on to medium and even tried the old drug-store foundations, and I'm not happy with that either. The problem is that I'm really fair, but my chin is red, and there is some ruddiness around my nose as well - NOT rosacea, just redness. I've tried concealers, the SN cream concealer too and all of them look, well, obvious, because the rest of my face is so pale the coverage ends up being heavier on my chin and looks fake. I thought that SN all-purpose looked really nice and was a good match everywhere else, but I don't like what's happening with my chin. So what should I do? Is there some kind of treatment to add to my skin care regimen that will help reduce redness? Should I start pairing that with one of the other concealers? I've never used the green concealers - they have sort of frightened me away with visions of Frankenstein.
Thanks so much!
Leah
Maeva

Re: Put my finger on it

Post by Maeva » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi Leah,

For concealing redness you may want to try a yellow concealer beneath your foundation on the red spots only. SN sells a nice yellow correcting powder called Sleep In A Jar, or try a cream if that works better.
Yellow tones down red in a more flattering way. Green will also, but instead of looking red, you will look dead, or undead (Frankenstein is a good analogy).

Keep the layers light to avoid looking plastered. Sheer out the concealer to your liking, dust a bit of zinc or pale powder over it to set it and cover the yellow, then apply foundation to your face.
A final dusting of Flattery Powder can soften the contrast and add a bit of subtle radiance.

For skin care products, try a sample of Mama's Helper Serum. Intensive Moisturizer is also excellent. I use both.

Hope this helps :)

Good luck!
I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little...you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. – Coco Chanel
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 am

I use yellow-based concealers (like SN cream concealer #1 or EDM Sunlight, which you can make out of heavy base and yellow booster) which helps with redness, circles and scars a lot, BUT I also feel you should know that the all-purpose foundation was designed to apply well wet (with a hydrosol or even just water).

If you aren't familiar with applying your foundation wet, here are a few methods:

Sprinkle your foundation into a small dish

SPONGE: If using a cellulose sponge, mist it to damp and dip it in the minerals and apply. If using one of the blender-type sponges, they're meant to be soaked first as they expand 2-3 times in size. Squeeze them to dampness and apply the same way. The main difference is that you may have to remist a regular sponge whereas a blender stays damp.

BRUSH: You can also mist your brush, swirl tap and apply. This isn't my favorite method as I feel it requires a lot of buffing (aka it can apply patchy/streaky) and brushes don't dry out as fast after washing as a sponge does

FINGERS: Squirt the normal amount of moisturizer you usually use on your face into your hand and sprinkle minerals on top. mix between your hands and apply with your fingers

Personally, I prefer a sponge for wet application (my favorites are the red ones sold at places like Target and Sephora- they're fairly dense but with a lot of fine holes). The moisturizer method i usually set with a light layer of powdered foundation. I ALWAYS mist my face with a hydrosol after doing my makeup, whether I applied it wet or dry, but ESPECIALLY if I applied it dry.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 pm

Yellow works, green works (unblush is really sheer, not at all Frankenstein looking)- I gotta put in a plug for Awesome Sauce. The Renovage is nice for non-specific redness.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
toddandleah

Post by toddandleah » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks so much everyone! I didn't know that the all purpose did better with wet application. I will have to order another sample and trust out again.
I do use the intensive moisturizer which I believe has the renovage in it. Is awesome sauce more awesome than the moisturizer?

Leah
catlover

all purpose foundation wet

Post by catlover » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks Xarata for the advice on using a sponge for application.:) I tried using the all purpose foundation wet using a sponge and I have to say I really like the results. It's a lot less messy and also applies heavier and I find I get more even coverage . I have tried wetting my brush in the minerals and applying but it takes more work and it doesn't apply as evenly. My skin tends to be on the drier side in certain areas and when I used it dry it would just highlight those areas even more . With wet application I find it sticks to my moisturizer better and keeps the moisture locked in.
Xarata

Re: all purpose foundation wet

Post by Xarata » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

catlover wrote:Thanks Xarata for the advice on using a sponge for application.:) I tried using the all purpose foundation wet using a sponge and I have to say I really like the results. It's a lot less messy and also applies heavier and I find I get more even coverage . I have tried wetting my brush in the minerals and applying but it takes more work and it doesn't apply as evenly. My skin tends to be on the drier side in certain areas and when I used it dry it would just highlight those areas even more . With wet application I find it sticks to my moisturizer better and keeps the moisture locked in.
You're welcome. I'm glad it works for you!
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com