Why am I so shiny?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
feyith

Why am I so shiny?

Post by feyith » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:14 pm

The thing I hate most about taking group pictures is that I am always the shiniest/oiliest person in the room, even with powder if everyone else has been sweating. Is it my skin? Diet? What am I doing wrong?
JenW

Re: Why am I so shiny?

Post by JenW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 am

feyith wrote:The thing I hate most about taking group pictures is that I am always the shiniest/oiliest person in the room, even with powder if everyone else has been sweating. Is it my skin? Diet? What am I doing wrong?
Some of that is just how you are and sweating is actually a good thing..... The oil is also a response so that your skin does not dehydrate too quickly losing all that moisture from sweat. I suggest a little blotting and understanding that the constant airbrushed look is for ads and magazines, and not so much hours on end in a real active lifestyle....

I would embrace the active person that you are......she is beautiful and strong. :D
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Is it oil or do you just have a natural glow? Are you actually shiny, or are you just naturally more radiant?

A little Blur helps if it's actually oil.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:06 pm

And then there are those of us with super dry skin, who use all sorts of highlighters and glowy powders to get their skin to have that "glow" :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:05 pm

... and the total opposite who have such dehydration that our skin is actually light-reflecting shiny, like a polished surface that bounces the light off of it! (not oily-shiny).

We're all made differently. Making the best of what you've got always works out better and looks more authentically 'you' than trying to look like someone else or current fashions.

Besides, Emma, you're radiantly beautiful just as you are. Don't see a difference as a flaw, more like a brush stroke of individuality.
feyith

Post by feyith » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 am

You ladies are so sweet. Thank you for the great advice and making me feel so much better!
hannahbanana

Post by hannahbanana » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Embrace it! Like you, I have always been oily. The more I tried to fix it, the more oily I became. I finally realized that my skin was overcompensating by producing more oil while I was trying to dry it out. There was a short adjustment period - both with my skin and mentally accepting that moisturizing would mean less oil. I never go without moisturizer now and I am finally loving my skin. I use SilkNaturals products and always use a few drops of pure argan oil (love that stuff).

I am still naturally a little oilier than most people, but I am realizing the my natural shine looks so much better than the matte look that I used to desperately want.
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:52 pm

People with oily skin tend to get fewer wrinkles and get them later, so that's another positive :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
MagRo

Post by MagRo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Have you tried blotting papers?