Lippie help and advice?! Stuck between shades!

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
Yankeesweetie35

Lippie help and advice?! Stuck between shades!

Post by Yankeesweetie35 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:09 pm

I could really use some help on what lippie to order! I can never make a decision on what will look best on my skintone. (Photo attached). Long story short, I like low key shades that just add a little oomph to my natural coloring. I prefer no shimmer, but I don't mind some as long as it isn't too intense. (I know. I'm boring!) I think I do best with berry-like shades. Some pinks and peaches give me that dead look if you know what I mean, haha. Berry Nice is my current go-to shade but I'd like to have another shade I can go-to. I LOVE the ALG formula and would die of happiness if I could find a shade I like. I like the descriptions for Provoke and Engage, but the swatches kind of scare me, lol. What about Creampuff? Maybe too pink? I'm so confused!

Any advice or recs out there? It doesn't have to be ALG. I'd greatly appreciate any help! Thanks! :D

SN lippies I own/tried:
Berry Nice- my usual favorite
Soft- nice but a little bland on me
Aria- a good MLBB but only if I apply one sheer coat
Pretty Please- beautiful color but not on me :(
Attachments
Inside with flash. I think my skin tone is a tiny bit darker than this, but it's pretty accurate.
Inside with flash. I think my skin tone is a tiny bit darker than this, but it's pretty accurate.
Screen shot 2012-07-10 at 4.49.41 PM.png (157.91 KiB) Viewed 7487 times
JenW

Re: Lippie help and advice?! Stuck between shades!

Post by JenW » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Creampuff is kind of on the sparkley side. It is a sheer pink, so for color I think it would work. I think Engage is probably your best bet. Then, if you think you can handle a little cooler of a tone than Engage, Provoke will work, too. Provoke is quite a bit more cool toned than Berry Nice.

(I just looked at our swatch for Berry Nice. Man, that one is old. Someone [me] needs to take some new pics!)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Maeva

Post by Maeva » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Since pinks and peaches tend to wash you out, perhaps try a few of the plum or rose shades. Have you tried any of these? They are gorgeous and understated.

Captivate ALG
Eden
Eternal
Rapturous
Sweet Nothing
Cabaret

Good luck.
I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little...you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. – Coco Chanel
frckls

Post by frckls » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:46 am

Wow, you are GORGEOUS!

Ehm, sorry, I got distracted. I think Damsel will look gorgeous on your gorgeous self. I got a sample, cringed at it since it looked so cool and I'm just so warm, take a swipe, and fell in love. I can imagine it looks totally stunning with cooler tones damsels (pun intended) as well.
Yankeesweetie35

Post by Yankeesweetie35 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:56 pm

@frckls Aw, you're making me blush! Thanks for the kind words!

And thanks everyone for the suggestions! I ended up purchasing the Engage ALG and just got it today. Unfortunately, I'm not too happy with the color on me. :| It's a little too much for me and for some reason, it still seems a little too pink. Maybe the gold shimmer is throwing me off?

Hmm. Back to the drawing board. Now I'm toying with the idea of trying Sweet Nothing or Seedy, or perhaps even Rhapsody or Breathless. Ah! Decisions, decisions.
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:50 am

seedy is a winner- i highly recommend it
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com
JenK

Post by JenK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 am

Your wants and needs sound a lot like mine. Have you tried Peachy Keen? That is one of the few that doesn't pull pink for me. It's very natural and doesn't scream I'm wearing makeup. Seedy is ok on me lightly applied, otherwise it is a true concord grape purple. Sweet Nothing is very nice, but if I apply too many layers it turns pink...I know strange. Damsel is very nice, I would say a more pink version of Peachy Keen. I love the formula Karen uses for the sheers...Sweet Nothing and Peachy Keen...and so on.