diy palettes

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
frckls

Re: diy palettes

Post by frckls » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

For the shimmer shadows, the pressed result (portrayed by swatched damp with FCO in here) are just as good, except that the shimmer is subdued a little, which is nice for me because I want to make them look safer.

But for the too-beautiful finish EyeLights (Fusion and Propinquity in this case), I'd risk all the hassles of opening and closing the loose shadows jar lid and not being able to fit them in my free-style palette because they're OH-TOO-GORGEOUS.

Oh. And maybe Blue Steel, too. Because I love the silver shimmer!
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Never had a problem with the loose powder, but then again, I learned very early on to be cautious about just punching one hole in the sifter sticker and tapping them out gently. (Had a gold glittery one 'explode' once and filled the room like a snow globe). Never had them spill or be wasted that way.

It's good to know that a shimmer can be toned down if it's too bold. I suppose it depends on what you like. Goodness knows, I don't need any more eyeshadow but the reason I buy here and will continue to as finances allow is for the extraordinary complexity of the finish and the exquisitely crafted colours Karen produces. I suppose, to me, they're like little works of art. Some colours I own I rarely or never wear but they give me much joy just looking at them. I'd hate to mess them up with changing them, but that doesn't negate the fact that playing mad scientist is a whole lot of fun in it's own right. I've seen the night out still playing in the kitchen melting down clear balms and making wacky coloured 'lipsticks' from mixing eyeshadows and blush into them.
frckls

Post by frckls » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:13 pm

They are indeed little works of art! And if Karen ever gonna bring back GWP Specter, I'm going to fly to the States just to bow to Karen at her feet. :lol: It's also one I rarely wear, but just staring at it brings peace and joy. :lol: :lol:
zus

Post by zus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:47 pm

My Propinquity pressed just fine! Mine is the GWP (so I don't know if the formula is exactly the same as the one in the shop now) and I used EZ Prez, so different variables but it's still as lovely and glowy as as it was loose!
Propinquity is not actually an EyeLight though. I haven't pressed any ELs myself so I can't say if the EZ Prez changes their finish, but this wouldn't this mean that FCO can affect the finish of more than just EyeLights?
frckls

Post by frckls » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm

I really don't have the balls to press Propinquity and Fusion. I don't want to mess them up because they're too pretty. Another color which finish (and color!) changed completely is Colt. But I think I dumped too much FCO as it became creamy. Still very nice to smudge along the lash line, but not my gorgeous Colt. So I ordered another one.

FCO also tends to deepen the base color for light shadows A BIT.
But as for the rest of my pressed shadows, pressing with FCO just tones down the shimmer a tad, which works perfect for me since I can wear them to class without looking like I'm going to perform on stage. Shimmers tend to make me look a little too overdone on my tan skin. And I don't want to give the wrong impression to my professors. :lol:
frckls

Post by frckls » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Oxana124 wrote:Thanks :)
One is a foundation and the other a bronzer
Oxana, can you help me with pressing foundation? I'm currently using Lucy Minerals. I tried to press some of it to a small pan, seeing how it worked out. I botched it completely. I only put 6drops of FCO, I believe, but now it's too hard, my brush could barely pick up anything! :cry:
Did you put much less FCO to the foundation that you pressed?
Oxana124

Post by Oxana124 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:47 am

From my experience only dewy foundations press ok. I think the shimmer in them makes them press better. Kind of similar to eye shadow, since I have a hard time pressing matte shadows as well.
I've actually pressed Lucy's, I used a little less than 1/4 tsp FCO, for a mix that was a full size plus 2 additional samples mixed in. It cracks as it dries. I'm not sure there is a way to make it not get cracks. I've just been using it anyways, since the cracking is more of a visual problem, and the product still works well.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Oxana124
http://swatchsoiree.blogspot.com
frckls

Post by frckls » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:55 am

Alright. I'll try it again soon. Thanks a lot Oxana!
zus

Post by zus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:20 am

frckls wrote:I really don't have the balls to press Propinquity and Fusion. I don't want to mess them up because they're too pretty. Another color which finish (and color!) changed completely is Colt. But I think I dumped too much FCO as it became creamy. Still very nice to smudge along the lash line, but not my gorgeous Colt. So I ordered another one.

FCO also tends to deepen the base color for light shadows A BIT.
But as for the rest of my pressed shadows, pressing with FCO just tones down the shimmer a tad, which works perfect for me since I can wear them to class without looking like I'm going to perform on stage. Shimmers tend to make me look a little too overdone on my tan skin. And I don't want to give the wrong impression to my professors. :lol:
Oooh you didn't press Propinquity... Then I misread, and good that you didn't :) it truly is one of the prettiest eye shadows, wouldn't want to ruin it! It's smart that you figured this out before going all out and pressing everything!
rfnandkcn

Post by rfnandkcn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 am

After reading all the information that so many of you have kindly made available here, I got up the nerve to attempt pressing some of my SN eyeshadows. I used FCO and 91% alcohol. They look okay, but the finished shadow is softer and creamier than I would like. Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong? Is there someway to redo them and save them? I don't want them to be rock hard, but certainly firmer than they are.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.