Shipping prices...

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
karen
Site Admin

Shipping prices...

Post by karen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 pm

The USPS just passed along some rate increases, and we couldn't absorb them this time. I did the best that I could, but the shipping rates have gone up a bit.

The biggest hit is because of the difference we've had to stop the free shipping on the international orders over $125. We don't have a huge markup on anything, and it just wasn't enough to cover the shipping prices for international orders any longer.

I'm sorry this came without any notice- it snuck up on me too. The changes went into effect tonight, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

A little hint- for the bigger international orders- try to keep the weight under 3 pounds. After that point the orders ship via Priority Mail international, and the rates go up quite a bit.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
kookith

Re: Shipping prices...

Post by kookith » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:30 am

Hi Karen

This is a huge bummer :(

Nevertheless, I totally understand. Thank you for offering the free shipping option previously, I really appreciated it.

With the increase by USPS, I'm guessing other places offering free shipping would be affected as well.
Who says a chick can't love make up and World of Warcraft at the same time? :D

http://kookith.wordpress.com/
http://megsmakeup.com/aff/11035/4
frckls

Post by frckls » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:19 am

Awwww Karen. That is indeed a huge bummer. I just enjoyed my last free shipping for $125 order and thought that I'll still be able to enjoy it in the days to come. But it was good while it lasted. :)

Thanks for passing along the information, Karen. Appreciate it. :)
Maeva

Post by Maeva » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:31 am

Ah well...
You offer the highest quality products for a very reasonable price. The shipping is what it is.
Looking forward to the Love Day Collection! :P
I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little...you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. – Coco Chanel
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 am

Oh crumbs, a $4 eyeshadow costs $6.28 in shipping. A $10 order weighing 0.08lbs costs $7.06 (two eyeshadows and two foundation samples, lightest things I could think of).

You know I *love* Silk Naturals but for shipping to jump from $4.20 for an eyeshadow $10-12 order to $7.06... that's making shipping cost an extra 70% on the basic cost of goods.

As it is, for the UK, we can't order more than $23 before customs fees. Two $15 orders for a $30 total order value and a freebie eyeshadow will now cost maybe an extra $15 in shipping above the basic sales price.

All due respect, etc, but this is going to make it very expensive for me on a tight budget to keep buying here. I spend maybe 95% of all my pocket money at SN, not just makeup but every possible thing including entertainment and nice food, so don't think that I'm not a die-hard fan here... but these circumstances stack up to make me sad that I won't be able to buy anything much here without serious saving and allowing a considerable extra amount for shipping.

I understand things are tough, and yes, the quality and prices are exceptional against the other brands, but I'm just explaining my own personal perspective on this and am a little disappointed.

edited to add: bought an emergency stash of lippies and some serum to see me through for a few months. $15 shipping over two orders, but once in a while, it's worth it.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 am

I know exactly how you feel. It seems like every time you turn around there's someone else with their hand out asking for more money- saying "times are tough- we need to make them a little tougher on you". Believe me, I share your frustration.

I was NOT happy about it either because it does hurt everyone.

We hadn't raised shipping prices in quite a while- despite the regular increases that the Post Office likes to throw at us. There were two increases in 2011 and we didn't change anything. With the latest increase it was at the point where the shipping prices weren't even coming close to covering our actual costs, and we would be losing money on every order that went out.

For me, as the owner the choice was to raise shipping prices, figure out a way to trim the extra money from the budget somewhere (like no more GWP's, free eyeshadows, points and rewards)- and still raise shipping prices, or raise all of the prices on everything by a fair amount and pray that it makes up the difference.

I'm not going to pretend that I have the right answer, but it felt like the most logical thing to do was to raise the price of the item that increased rather than take more drastic measures.

For the record there isn't a giant markup on shipping- at best we break even on it.

I understand where you're coming from completely. There just isn't really anything I can do about it- they really bumped the price of international shipping this round. I've gone so far as to write letters to my Congress people about it, and twice a year like clockwork the Post Office raises their rates- and still loses money.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:52 am

Yeah, I know. *sigh* What takes the sting out of it is that you're honest about it all.

That, and the fact SN is still head and shoulders above the pack. Some indie brands start at twice SN prices, like for like, and at far less advanced formulas and finishes. Another brand I stopped using 3 years ago has put prices up to three times their actual cost in that time frame in real terms, not including shipping and the loss of freebies. Everyone's struggling and applying hidden costs all over the place, like 10g of contents becomes 6g for same price. Everyone's struggling but what wins loyalty and respect is retaining integrity. SN never fails at that.

Ahh put it this way... don't take the lack of incoming orders from now on as a lack of interest!
zus

Post by zus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Aw, sucky... but it's out of your control! Everything everywhere just seems to be getting more expensive.
I never make big orders so the increase doesn't affect me too much. Even though I am also on a tight budget, I have a couple of euros to spare for SN :)
Here's something silly: only with this increase does the shipping of an order ($30ish) from across the ocean actually become more expensive than from within my teenytiny country. Ok, here most web shops work with one standard shipping price so of course my crazy logic doesn't apply for big heavy stuff, but still!
frckls

Post by frckls » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Wow I just saw the shipping price on my cart. That's quite a jump for 2 eyeshadows, a lippie, and a concealer. *sigh* I can't imagine when I have to place a huge order for me, my sisters, and our friends.

I wish SN is in Europe instead of US.

Oh well. You're lucky Karen you're so nice and SN is so much loved.
Springfairy

Post by Springfairy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Karen, I'm sorry to hear that you had to change shipping costs but you did the right thing to increase what increased, shipping. I stopped buying from a UK company that just announced

Just a thought for those who have friends or family in the US, now it might be worth it, my approach when ordering from the US is to have a bigger order (then shipping is free) which goes to my mom in the US who repackages it as a gift. Invariably I get a 10 euro flat custom fee (Belgium).