Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
yujun

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by yujun » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:09 am

Hi,

I would like to ask for advice. would buttery gold or warm gold be better for me? and what is a good mix ratio for me? i have a few pictures, but to be honest i don't know which portrays my skin colour most accurately. the girl in the mac shop told me i am nc25.

(i will be removing the links in a few days after i get a reply)

i think the bright sunlight picture would be more accurate, except i am darker than that.

thanks so much!
Last edited by yujun on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:56 pm

yujun wrote:Hi,

I would like to ask for advice. would buttery gold or warm gold be better for me? and what is a good mix ratio for me? i have a few pictures, but to be honest i don't know which portrays my skin colour most accurately. the girl in the mac shop told me i am nc25.

thanks so much!
My first choice is Buttery Gold at a ratio of 1 scoop color to about 5 white. Second would be Warm Gold at 1 scoop color to about 6 or 7 white. I can't be absolutely sure that Buttery Gold will work better than Warm Gold, though. I wish I had a more exact answer..... I really think you should sample them both.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
yujun

Post by yujun » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 am

JenW wrote:
yujun wrote:Hi,

thanks so much!
My first choice is Buttery Gold at a ratio of 1 scoop color to about 5 white. Second would be Warm Gold at 1 scoop color to about 6 or 7 white. I can't be absolutely sure that Buttery Gold will work better than Warm Gold, though. I wish I had a more exact answer..... I really think you should sample them both.
thanks! i think i'd probably be in between, cuz my skin is mainly yellow on the surface but ive got brown undertones with a slight hint of red.
rmezy

Post by rmezy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Hello ladies!

I mixed 1 olive to 1.5 warm gold with ivory. That is a rough estimate because I got all mad scientist about it. Still doesn't look exactly right. What should I try next? I should mention that I am wearing BE blush in Tropical Radiance. Not the best blush for me, but I only have a little more to use up (I typically mix it with something else).

edited to add: if it helps, i've been wearing EDM light, but it's a little too yellow. EDM Golden Fair is too light and looks chalky. Nars Sheer Glow liquid foundation in 'Deauville' is close and Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich foundation in #2 'Sand' works too.
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:49 pm

rmezy wrote:Hello ladies!

I mixed 1 olive to 1.5 warm gold with ivory. That is a rough estimate because I got all mad scientist about it. Still doesn't look exactly right. What should I try next? I should mention that I am wearing BE blush in Tropical Radiance. Not the best blush for me, but I only have a little more to use up (I typically mix it with something else).

edited to add: if it helps, i've been wearing EDM light, but it's a little too yellow. EDM Golden Fair is too light and looks chalky. Nars Sheer Glow liquid foundation in 'Deauville' is close and Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich foundation in #2 'Sand' works too.
I think it just needs more white.....
Faves-
Alakina

Post by Alakina » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi,

I just got my samples kits (2 of them) I should have gotten the bigger one I see now...as I
don't know where to start.
I am categorised as a "Spring" and I know that I fit better in ivory than in pure white so I think I am somewhat warm but could also be neutral, but more than that I don't know so basically, I would know where to start as I don't really get the "peach" part? Do I start with peach? Or with ebony and add warm gold? If you have any tips where to start I would be really happy!

Here are my pictures:
These are in natural light through a window.

Natural light + indoor lightning daytime

Indoor light (during the day).

I also have the problem that my face is a bit more red than my neck and chest which may be seen a bit in the first two pictures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Alakina-

I am kind of leaning Buttery Gold for you. I know that might seem odd, but by the time it gets in the fair range, it will be kind of peachy and less yellow. I think 1 scoop color plus about 9 or more white. Plus, but going slightly more yellow than peach, you will be helping a little with the difference in color from your face to neck. If you decide the Buttery Gold is too yellow, we might have to try something else.
Faves-
Alakina

Post by Alakina » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Thank you so much for the tip! I don't know how you do it!

I started with 1:9 buttery gold which I thought looked good but maybe a bit dark.
I have know blended a 1:11, buttery gold. (Will post pictures tomorrow, so
few hours in Sweden now :( ) I must say that it looks really good! And most people
can't see a big difference between neck and face with this blend. It just feels like I want to lighten it up more to match my neck (which now seems more pinkish/oliveish than my face but still lighter than my face) Maybe I could add something coldish to the blend instead of making it almost white 1:12 would be a bit light for the Vegan foundation, I can't be the whitest woman ever...

Is there another blend I could try?
I tried with a bit of peach (1/3 measure) and I ended up very reddish and
flushed but I didn't expect much with my own blending skills :)

Should I try Warm Gold instead? Or maybe add a little Ebony?

/Alakina
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:57 am

Alakina wrote:Thank you so much for the tip! I don't know how you do it!

I started with 1:9 buttery gold which I thought looked good but maybe a bit dark.
I have know blended a 1:11, buttery gold. (Will post pictures tomorrow, so
few hours in Sweden now :( ) I must say that it looks really good! And most people
can't see a big difference between neck and face with this blend. It just feels like I want to lighten it up more to match my neck (which now seems more pinkish/oliveish than my face but still lighter than my face) Maybe I could add something coldish to the blend instead of making it almost white 1:12 would be a bit light for the Vegan foundation, I can't be the whitest woman ever...

Is there another blend I could try?
I tried with a bit of peach (1/3 measure) and I ended up very reddish and
flushed but I didn't expect much with my own blending skills :)

Should I try Warm Gold instead? Or maybe add a little Ebony?

/Alakina
You are pretty fair, so 1:12 sounds reasonable. The thing about adding more scoops of white....it is not linear....it is about percentages. So if I add 1 scoop of white to a 1:1 ratio, it goes from being 50%/50% to 33%/66%.....big change. If I add one scoop white to a 1:9 ratio, it goes from 10%/90% to 9%/91%....not a big change.

If you do think it needs to be pinker, try Warm Gold. It runs just a little darker than Buttery Gold, so if you are close to 1:12 in Buttery, you will be 1:12 or more in Warm Gold.

Peach is hard to work with if you are fair. My DD is a fair Peach and she is about 1:36. Red is the last color to dilute, and there is a good amount of it in Peach.
Faves-
allyb

Post by allyb » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm placing an order for SN skincare in the next few days and plan to add a foundation sample kit, but would really appreciate "recipe" help. I don't really know my colors in anything mineral makeup wise because I've never found anything that works for and therefore have never been past the "sampling" stage. I'm fair and burn easily. For some reason I'm having a really difficult time posting pictures, but here is a link to previous post from last spring in which I posted a couple of pictures of myself: http://host.silknaturals.com/forum/view ... hp?t=3059.. Thanks so much for any help!