A tip on how to remove a lipstain

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
MyLavenderHeart

A tip on how to remove a lipstain

Post by MyLavenderHeart » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:29 pm

I also wrote down this tip for you guys in the spring-thread, but it just drowned because other things was commented on. So since it is a tip that could prove to be especially usefull now that Karen has released Lip Stains - ( :D ) - I decided to make a new topic with it.

How remove Lip Stains:

Just take a cottonball with baby oil and swipe over the stain a few times and it will slide off. You don`t even have to rub very hard. After the stains has disolved simply wipe clean with paper, and the stain should be gone.

Use the same method to remove the lipstain off the lips too. This is practical if you are going out and want to change the color of the lipstain, or put on something else.

If you don`t have babyoil at hand, you can use
vaseline too. But it will take a littlebit longer to get the lipstain off, and you may have it sit on the skin for a minute or two.

If there is someone who are allergic and can`t tolerate babyoil because of the mineral oil in it try and use whatever oil you have on hand (After asking if they can tolerate it first), apply oil on the lips / swatches that you want to remove, let sit for a minute or two and it should be easier to remove without hurting the lips / skin.

I have done this for years, and it works like a charm. So unless Karen`s Lip Stains are completely different it should work great on those too.

And also:

If you have gotten stains from permanent markers on your hands, then the same baby oil (even regular oils like olive oil, safflower oil etc, etc) can be used! Dab the oil on the skin and let it sit a littlebit. When taking a piece of paper or cotton the stain should be gone or at the very least be mutch less visible. The longer the oil get to work, the better the results.

And please remember:

there are people who are very, very allergic to Castor Oil, so if you are trying to do this on someone and don`t have anything other than Castor oil to use, please remember to ask them if they are allergic first. I know it is so easy to forget, but it is extremely painfull for them if they get in contact with it.

Have a lovely spring! :) <3

ETA: I am sure there is special lipstain removers out there (?) but just wanted to write in here that baby oil works too and it more inexpensive.
Also, Someone on the other forum said she tried Olive Oil on Karen`s lipstain and it did not budge...! Just FYI... ;)
karen
Site Admin

Re: A tip on how to remove a lipstain

Post by karen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:51 pm

Oooh good tip! Yes, mineral oil is a pretty good solvent for dyes- I didn't put two and two together the day that I made the stains (I looked like a freak when I left the lab...but I had to make sure they stained skin). That's why they say not to put Vaseline on tattoos- doh- I really should have known better!

For me, what worked was just good old fashioned bar soap in a long hot shower.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Oils usually work fine for me for general removal of dyes on my lips.

My arm does not usually play that nicely..... I have to decide if it is better to turn red from the oils, or just let the dyes wear off after washing with soap..... In essence, it ruins my swatching canvas for the day.... ;)
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
MyLavenderHeart

Post by MyLavenderHeart » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:21 pm

karen wrote:Oooh good tip! Yes, mineral oil is a pretty good solvent for dyes- I didn't put two and two together the day that I made the stains (I looked like a freak when I left the lab...but I had to make sure they stained skin). That's why they say not to put Vaseline on tattoos- doh- I really should have known better!

For me, what worked was just good old fashioned bar soap in a long hot shower.
Lol, wish I`d met you that day, with swatches and all :P
What you do for us, Karen, what you do for your peeps! :lol:

JenW wrote:Oils usually work fine for me for general removal of dyes on my lips.

My arm does not usually play that nicely..... I have to decide if it is better to turn red from the oils, or just let the dyes wear off after washing with soap..... In essence, it ruins my swatching canvas for the day.... ;)
Of course, I didn`t think about that Jen.
Look forward to the swatches, the colors look fantastic! Especially look forward to the Dixie :mrgreen:
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:26 pm

I use the apricot cleansing oil when I need to take off something heavy duty - although slowly stopped wearing most of that stuff, just had some commercial lip stains. It's edible, right? I don't plan on chugging the bottle, just in case some gets in my mouth :)
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 am

I'm not actually sure if the emulsifier in the ACO is edible- what I am sure about is that it doesn't actually work for taking off lip stains. I have a super kicked up version of it with sweet orange oil that I use for cleaning up after making lippies in the shop, and it didn't work for taking the dye off my skin. That cleaner got me through formulating the cream liners, cloning a bunch of lippies and everything else, but not the stains.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
MagRo

Post by MagRo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:02 pm

I haven't gotten to try the SN lip stains yet, but the rosewater based one I have I generally wear under lip balm. By the end of the day the lip balm usually has stripped most of it off anyway.