Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
JenW

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by JenW » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:39 pm

tamar wrote:Hi Jen,

I'm hoping you can help me with my foundation color. I am cool-toned and have a fair-medium complexion and rosy cheeks (I've had rosy cheeks since I was a child, so I don't think it's from irritation). I have been using Everyday Minerals in Fair Medium or Medium in their semi-matte formula. Fair Medium suits me really well right now, although it's the tiniest bit too fair I think. When I am a bit more tan Medium works better. (I haven't been actually tan while using mineral makeup, so I don't know what that mean for my foundation color. But, while my body can get very tan, my face stays fairer and pinker.) Something between Fair Medium and Medium would probably be my best match, but I haven't tried to mix them. I actually really like how EM looks and feels, but I'd like to switch to Silk Naturals because I think your formula is better for the skin, and because what I've read of EM's business practices.

I bought your Perfect Harmony Foundation Sample Kit and have been attempting to get my color right and haven't been able to. Before attempting my own mixture, I poured over the entries here to get some guidance. I read what you recommended for someone else who wore EM's Cool Medium and another who wore Fair Medium and this is what I came up with - 1 Ebony: 1 Peach: 16 Ivory: 1 Date Bait. But something is off. It just looks kind of dull on my face. It's still too brown, I think. (Ebony alone as a base was way too brown.) But I'm worried about adding any more Peach because then I'm not sure how much more Ivory I would need to add, since Peach is such a dense base. I added the Date Bait because that mixture just wasn't pink enough, but it's still too dull or something. I'm wondering if I need to order another kit (because I just have one mixing container), and try using just Peach as the base. But on your website it says that Peach isn't really meant to be used as a base... But maybe I just have an unusually cool skin tone?

I am posting a couple pictures of me with no makeup and in natural light. My face is pinker than my neck like that. It's not usually that obvious, but there definitely is a color difference. Even though I try to match my face and not my neck, the color difference isn't really noticeable when I have makeup on (I just wear a very light layer of mineral foundation, I like a very natural look.) I'm posting another picture in less harsh natural light, because it's closer to how I usually look. I don't have much makeup on in the last picture either, just a little mineral concealer. (This picture will actually be the first, looking at the preview.)

Anyway, sorry for the very long message! I would really like to switch to Silk Naturals. And I'm betting that your guidance will help a lot, considering your excellent track record with matches. Thanks so much for your help, Jen!

Tamar
Hi,

In looking at your forehead and neck, I want to say Olive or Peach. I do see the pink you are taking about. Here it is just the normal flush of skin in the cheek area, and I am not really sure it is a good idea to match your foundation to the pink in your cheeks, as there is little of this color at the edges of your face. You might want something in between. Peach was originally formulated as a color base for foundation, rather than a color booster as it has a brown component to it. Peach might be the best choice on its own for you, and you are right that is it pretty dark (maybe 1:15-18?). I am thinking Ebony is just too flat, but you were definitely on track to add in some Date Bait. Olive would not be bad, either, but it will definitely start to cancel the flush in your cheeks.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
landlord

Post by landlord » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 pm

I got my Olive and tried in the ration 1:10 It works well! Thank you Jen
As I mentioned in my original post, I use the Ebony with a splash of warm gold because Olive wasn't around. When I mixed the Olive, it looked light in the dish but went on well so now i'm wondering if i mixed my ebony wrong. If Olive is 1:10 what ratio do you think the Ebony would work at? Reason I ask is that I still have a bag left and don't want to waste it so may as well use it and then change to the olive after that.

Thanks again

BTW it is the original formula coverage
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:21 pm

landlord wrote:I got my Olive and tried in the ration 1:10 It works well! Thank you Jen
As I mentioned in my original post, I use the Ebony with a splash of warm gold because Olive wasn't around. When I mixed the Olive, it looked light in the dish but went on well so now i'm wondering if i mixed my ebony wrong. If Olive is 1:10 what ratio do you think the Ebony would work at? Reason I ask is that I still have a bag left and don't want to waste it so may as well use it and then change to the olive after that.

Thanks again

BTW it is the original formula coverage
Ebony is almost half as light. I would try it at about a 1:5 or 1:6 ratio. (try the 1:5 first ;) )
Faves-
landlord

Post by landlord » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks I will try that!
la_canadiense(01)

Post by la_canadiense(01) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:37 am

Hi Ladies, hope someone can help me!!

there was a post once, somewhere, that stated how many little white scoops went into one baggie of foundation? Does anyone know this?

thanks!! I have been searching all morning but didn't find anything!!

Was EDM Buff Perfect. Currently, 1:8 Original Ivory, Warm Gold. !!! Loving SN :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:51 am

la_canadiense(01) wrote:Hi Ladies, hope someone can help me!!

there was a post once, somewhere, that stated how many little white scoops went into one baggie of foundation? Does anyone know this?

thanks!! I have been searching all morning but didn't find anything!!
The small scoop is 1/32 of a teaspoon. The baggie is a Tablespoon. There are three teaspoons in a tablespoon. So, 3 x 32 = 96. 96 small scoops.
Faves-
la_canadiense(01)

Post by la_canadiense(01) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:09 am

Thanks Jen!!

I thought it was ninety something but couldnt remember exactly!!

I guess I could have worked it out but my math skills are not so great!

Was EDM Buff Perfect. Currently, 1:8 Original Ivory, Warm Gold. !!! Loving SN :)
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:19 am

la_canadiense(01) wrote:Thanks Jen!!

I thought it was ninety something but couldnt remember exactly!!

I guess I could have worked it out but my math skills are not so great!
You are very welcome. I always try to add in how we got to that number....sometimes it sticks in the brain better if you kind of remember where the number came from.

(Plus, I should think about adding that number somewhere permanent...where were some of the places you checked first?)
Faves-
dancalot

Post by dancalot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:48 pm

JenW wrote:
dancalot wrote:Hello, I am interested in trying Silk Naturals. As a current user of EDM, my foundation base is Olive Fair Original Glo layered over Olive Fair matte or Intensive, over a light layer of Lavender concealer. My closest true match is Sandy Fair, but to cover to spots, sun damage and rosacea-like redness I use an olive tone rather than a green concealer to minimize the effort. What recipe would you recommend I try with SN? Thanks in advance for the courtesy of your reply.
Try Olive at a 1:15 ratio. If it is not green enough, you may need some Green Booster, but I am guessing that you won't.
Hi - thanks for your prompt reply to my question! Got my samples ( I love the blur powder) and am now in the process of finding the match for EDM Olive Fair. I ordered the SN 'medium' formulation and mixed 1 scoop of olive with 15 ivory as advised: it looks extremely light side by side with the EDM Olive Fair Intensive. When I compare both on a white substrate (tissue) however, the shades look pretty close. Should I expect the SN shade to look different in the jar but still blend with my skin? Kind of confused about this. If I do need to make the shade a somewhat darker, how much of the olive tone do I add - 1/64 scoop? :?: Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Kind regards from Pat
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:18 pm

dancalot wrote:
JenW wrote:
dancalot wrote:Hello, I am interested in trying Silk Naturals. As a current user of EDM, my foundation base is Olive Fair Original Glo layered over Olive Fair matte or Intensive, over a light layer of Lavender concealer. My closest true match is Sandy Fair, but to cover to spots, sun damage and rosacea-like redness I use an olive tone rather than a green concealer to minimize the effort. What recipe would you recommend I try with SN? Thanks in advance for the courtesy of your reply.
Try Olive at a 1:15 ratio. If it is not green enough, you may need some Green Booster, but I am guessing that you won't.
Hi - thanks for your prompt reply to my question! Got my samples ( I love the blur powder) and am now in the process of finding the match for EDM Olive Fair. I ordered the SN 'medium' formulation and mixed 1 scoop of olive with 15 ivory as advised: it looks extremely light side by side with the EDM Olive Fair Intensive. When I compare both on a white substrate (tissue) however, the shades look pretty close. Should I expect the SN shade to look different in the jar but still blend with my skin? Kind of confused about this. If I do need to make the shade a somewhat darker, how much of the olive tone do I add - 1/64 scoop? :?: Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Kind regards from Pat
They may not look the same in the jar. You really do have to put them on with a proper brush to see how they will look. If you do need it a tad darker, just add a few grains of Olive (it is very dark as our color bases go) and when you mix again, try 1:13 or so.
Faves-