Silica&magnesium Stearate

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
missyjean

Silica&magnesium Stearate

Post by missyjean » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:59 pm

So I want to assure that I have never,ever noticed any increase of breakouts while using Silk Naturals.

However,I was at another forum that claimed magnesium stearate and silica caused breakouts. I know sometimes particle size can make a difference,but the person said there's only only one particle size of silica available.

Can someone separate fact from fiction?
karen
Site Admin

Re: Silica&magnesium Stearate

Post by karen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:42 pm

There are actually quite a few different forms of silica available, and they all have the same INCI- so it's rather confusing. Silica is relatively inert, as is magnesium stearate (it's used in a lot of different products, and in some vitamins to help them hold together).

For things like breakouts- I never really know if it's something else in their routine that they've switched(people tend to make a lot of changes at one time), or if it's something maybe hormonal, if it's a purge, or if it's genuinely causing a breakout for them. I never say something won't give you zits, or an allergic reaction. You can test things as many ways as you want (and we do), but anyone can have their skin not agree with an ingredient no matter how hard we try. If you have sensitive or acne-prone skin you always have to be careful.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
missyjean

Post by missyjean » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah,my acne improved ever since I used your products...and I am prone to severe acne.

There's unfortunately a lot of people posting misinformation.

Thanks for clarifying!
poptart

Post by poptart » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:26 pm

I, too, have read that silica can cause breakouts. I personally have never had a problem with silica, nor have I ever experienced a problem with Silk Naturals. I agree that any ingredient can irritate someone's skin and it's often a matter of trial and error before we can find a product that soothes our skin. Something as simple as junk food may be the cause of the breakout, and not the makeup itself.