Need a few "looks"

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
EtherealJane

Need a few "looks"

Post by EtherealJane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:11 am

Hi everyone! I'm going to be student teaching in the fall, and so I want to get two basic, everyday neutral looks to wear in the classroom. I've heard I'll be exhausted and stressed, so I want no brainer looks that can be my "go to." So, I already own and love Wink Wink/Nudge Nudge. I'd like another eyeshadow combo like that--definitely neutrals. I have blue eyes, so hopefully that helps. Then, I'd like a suggestion for a highlight color that goes with both eyeshadow combos, and maybe even a lippie and a blush that goes with both too? I know that's a lot to ask, but if I can keep it simple with only a few products than I'm hoping I can still look good at school without having to think too much about it! :D

I think there's a picture of me floating around on the forum still, but I am pretty pale, with fairly neutral skin. I have blue eyes and medium brownish hair.
MyLavenderHeart

Re: Need a few "looks"

Post by MyLavenderHeart » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi there :)

If you want a no-brainer color I would like to suggest Eu-Taupe-Ia- (matte medium taupe/brown) and Bone, matte bone color to highlight.

I adooore Eu-Taupe-Ia- I have green eyes, but think your blue eyes will look super pretty with this combo and pop like there`s no tomorrow :lol: :)

Blush I suggest Beach Bunny bronzer, and for the lips something pink that will light up your face and perk everything up, but still look natural and pretty. Maybe Damsel, sheer strawberry Pink or Infatuation, shimmery pink.
If you prefer more peachy colors instead of pink on lips maybe Foreplay?

But not sure if you think Beach Bunny Bronzer will suit Nudge Nudge......Then I would suggest Wish You Were Here, a loooovely gentle blush that is Peachy Pink and suits fais skinned gals like us ;)

I may not been very helpfull but hopefully you will figure things out, and someone else maybe also pop in and suggest something for you.

Good luck :)

Silverfern

Post by Silverfern » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:48 pm

MyLavenderHeart wrote:Hi there :)

If you want a no-brainer color I would like to suggest Eu-Taupe-Ia- (matte medium taupe/brown) and Bone, matte bone color to highlight.

I adooore Eu-Taupe-Ia- I have green eyes, but think your blue eyes will look super pretty with this combo and pop like there`s no tomorrow :lol: :)

Blush I suggest Beach Bunny bronzer, and for the lips something pink that will light up your face and perk everything up, but still look natural and pretty. Maybe Damsel, sheer strawberry Pink or Infatuation, shimmery pink.
If you prefer more peachy colors instead of pink on lips maybe Foreplay?

But not sure if you think Beach Bunny Bronzer will suit Nudge Nudge......Then I would suggest Wish You Were Here, a loooovely gentle blush that is Peachy Pink and suits fais skinned gals like us ;)

I may not been very helpfull but hopefully you will figure things out, and someone else maybe also pop in and suggest something for you.

Good luck :)

This is exactly the look I do when I'm going au natural!

I add a little bit of brown liner tho, and brown or black SN mascara. And I need a little color on my pale cheeks so of course I reach for Climax or Petal.

But Eu-Taupe-Ia and Bone are my go-to shadows for a normal day at the office.
aud

Post by aud » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 am

Bare & Boom are my standard neutrals for the office :)

Current SN foundation mix: 4 Buttery Gold: 2 Yellow Boosters: 21 Medium Ivory: 8 Original Ivory: 3 Glow
Favourite SN lippies (currently): Darling, Barcelona (Gumball), Menage
Favourite SN blushers: Carnal, Satisfied
robinbird_22

Post by robinbird_22 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm sorry to say I'm blanking on color suggestions right now...BUT I wanted to wish you luck with student teaching. I'm starting my second year of teaching next week, so I've been there.
zeebs

Post by zeebs » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Boom *is* great for a no-brainer. I just grab whatever brown/neutral I have nearby (I like Dolce or Vogue, but if those are too intense, perhaps Cougar or Eu Taupe Ia), dust a little bit on the lid, then put Boom all over. Voila! Ten-second eye makeup.

ETA: IDK if you have Fete or Frills, but I think either would be pretty for you.
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:06 pm

Not exactly what you were looking for, but may help if you don't even have time to do your eyes.

I've been doing a pretty low-key and neutral face without eye shadows (gasp!), when I really don't wanna be late from work.
The way it works is that I just swipe the blush I'm using on my eyelids, and then dust it with a finishing glow, highlight my browbone and inner corner with the same, and swipe on cheeks and nose and forehead a bit too, then match the lippie to it (or the other way around). Curl lashes + natural mascara = good to go.

Favorite combos right now (seriously, very low key):

- tart light for blush and lids, highlight with crystal and use a berry lippie - today I'm wearing it with Lola, and yesterday with Centerfold, but Shrieking Violet or other pinkish berry toned lippies would work
- flirt for blush and lids, hightlight with crystal and use Reddy as a stain (blot)
- flirt for blush and lids, hightlight with crystal or liberty, and use St. Tropez for lips
- mojave (gwp eye shadow) for blush and lids, liberty to highlight and St Tropez for lips

They give a nice little color to my lids, don't crease at all, and play up the blue in my eyes, which would work for you too. My skintone is medium light and fairly neutral too.

You can carry a darker neutral color that matches those in your purse with a liner brush, maybe loaded with the liner sealer, and add a bit of attention to your eyes if you have somewhere else to go later :)

Edited to add: Boom is also my favorite neutral base, I can pair it with just about anything to suit my mood or outfit. Need to buy a new jar soon :)
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:25 am

For lips I recommend gold blush or precious, they're a sheer wash of golden pink that will brighten your face without looking made up.

For cheeks...well i'll be honest, my fav blush of all time is still sassy (sheer wash of true peach) which i have stocked up on quite well. However, as it is unavailable, i recommend going with something like bronze beauty, cider, or beach bunny- they'll perk up your look, go with anything, and work as contour/bronzer.

For eye looks: I spent a good year and a half in quartzite or vanilla and quartzite before really branching out into other colors. I am a firm believer that everyone should have highbeam in their collection, and brown sugar goes with everything.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com