New big fiber optic brush-is it a MAC 187 dupe? Would it r/o

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
toogerbug

New big fiber optic brush-is it a MAC 187 dupe? Would it r/o

Post by toogerbug » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:28 am

Would it be good for liquid foundations? Is it a MAC 187 dupe?
extemter

Most definitely not a MAC 187 dupe

Post by extemter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:05 am

I haven't tried the new big fiber optic brush, but just from looking at the photo and reading its description, I would say that the answer to both of your questions is "no." Keep in mind that this is speculation on my part!

My gut instinct is that the goat hair will "drink up" liquid foundation and the synthetic bristles aren't long enough to keep the liquid foundation only on the tips of the brush. If you want to apply a sheer layer of foundation, this brush might work for you. If you're seeking coverage with your foundation, this brush may disappoint.

This brush is most definitely not a MAC 187 dupe. Its head looks too fluffy and may be too big. Also, the ratio and length of shorter darker bristles to longer white synthetic bristles is not the same as the MAC 187.

The closest MAC 187 dupe I've found is sold by another mineral makeup company. I secretly hoped that Karen would stock that brush because Silk Naturals and this other company sell the same (mini) fiber optic blush brush, but alas, I never voiced this hope to Karen. My apologies and my bad!!!
If you're looking for a big, fluffy brush to apply finishing powder your search is over! This brush is lovely- it has a giant head on it, with fluffy (as opposed to dense) fiber optic bristles. It's designed for applying the bare minimum of makeup to a large area. It's not great for fine detail work like blush.

This brush is made from a blend of goat hair and synthetic bristles.

Handle to tip 7 inches
Bristles-2" Long x 2 inches Diameter
karen
Site Admin

Re: New big fiber optic brush-is it a MAC 187 dupe? Would it r/o

Post by karen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:18 pm

I think it's too fluffy to do the job on liquid foundation. I've seen youtube videos where people are using our fiber optic blush brush with liquid foundation,and really liking it.

@extremer....I think I know what one you're talking about, and I did order one to play with a while back. It wasn't *that* much different from the one that we already stock...the handle was longer, and it looked a little nicer but the actual brush part was pretty much the same as the brush that we stock. I wasn't convinced we really needed it, but it was a while ago. I'll have to take another look at it.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten