Can't get to main website?!?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
lwoodall10

Can't get to main website?!?

Post by lwoodall10 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 pm

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I just wanted to let someone know that I can't get to the main website. It says
Welcome to Silk Naturals.

We have recently upgraded our web servers to improve performance.

Although everything should work, please let us know if you see any problems!

You should be automatically redirected to our main page in 15 seconds; you can also click here to continue
and then after a few seconds I get the message
Interent Explorer Cannont Display the Webpage
I have the forum still in my history and it still comes up though...
Maria_Elvira

Re: Can't get to main website?!?

Post by Maria_Elvira » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:32 pm

For me it works... how weird..

Have you tried clicking where it says "you can also click here to continue"
That worked for me....
BlowFarAway

Post by BlowFarAway » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:38 pm

It's because it changes the url to host.silknaturals.com/creb instead of www.silknaturals.com/creb :)
Don't be so humble, you are not that great. -Golda Meir
lwoodall10

Post by lwoodall10 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01 pm

I got it to work, but I had to take the host. off the address when it came up. :?
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Eeesh...it's one of those weird things that happens when you switch servers. There's name server directories and DNS entries that have to do their thing, and it's not something we really control- it just takes "the web" itself a day or two to get used to our new location. If it's still weird tomorrow let me know.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
superwahz

Post by superwahz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Hey Karen!

The weirdness is still happening... I had to google to find a way into the forum to post this! So, um, yeah, I hope they sort it out soon. It happened both when I allowed the site to redirect me AND when I clicked on the "click here to continue" link. If I type in silknaturals.com/creb/ though, I can get to the site!
Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Yes, I'm running up against some weird too. If I go to just www.silknaturals.com and then hit the button for the re-direct so it lands on host.silknaturals.com it functions relatively well. I can get in, the pages load lightening quick, add things to a cart and checkout. If I type in www.silknaturals.com/creb it's slow, and generally a pain to try to shop.

When you're mentioning the weird, what is happening? Are you getting error messages??
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
kris
Site Admin

Post by kris » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:37 pm

Two things that I would recommend for anybody having difficulty in getting to the site, or having difficulties with the cart:

- Instead of using a bookmark to get to the site, please type in 'www.silknaturals.com' in the address bar of your browser. As the new server address propagates across the network doing this will help to ensure that you get directed to the correct site. (The landing page will show that you are on either 'host' or 'www' depending on which host you are connecting to.) You can also click on the link here to get to the beginning page of the site: http://www.SilkNaturals.com

- Try clearing out your browser cache and cookies, restarting your browser, and connecting again. Some parts of the site need to make use of cookies to keep track of who you are, and if you have cookies from the old site while on the new site, you may see some odd results. This site from the University of Wisconsin has a fairly complete list of instructions on how to do so: http://bit.ly/nVYye

Hopefully that should help a little bit, and hopefully things will clear up soon... In the meantime, if you have any other problems, please let us know!

Kris
lwoodall10

Post by lwoodall10 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:35 am

I don't know if this counts as weirdness, but yesterday I could see everyones avatar and today I can't see the avatar's or some of the pic's people have posted. I think they are the pic's that have been uploaded as attachments rather than using an image code from say photobucket. I just get the the box with the red x. I know that the box with the red x is usually something to do with Internet settings, but I haven't changed anything :? and other websites I can see images just fine :?:
kris
Site Admin

Post by kris » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:57 pm

lwoodall10 wrote:I don't know if this counts as weirdness, but yesterday I could see everyones avatar and today I can't see the avatar's or some of the pic's people have posted. I think they are the pic's that have been uploaded as attachments rather than using an image code from say photobucket. I just get the the box with the red x. I know that the box with the red x is usually something to do with Internet settings, but I haven't changed anything :? and other websites I can see images just fine :?:
Pretty sure that the problem was not on your end... Take a look again, and I think you'll find that they are back.

Kris