Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
WendyD

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by WendyD » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Perfect, I have Buttery Gold so we can mix up a sample for her :D Thanks Jen!
sima

Post by sima » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and have purchased my first sample kit. I'm very excited about the SN way to mix your own blend, excellent idea!
I've read this forum to get a picture of how I can get the best out of the kit, and tried to use other peoples experience to help myself. As I don't have an image at the moment, I'll give you a short background:
- I live in Sweden. It's winter now, a real cold one which I love. This unfortunately also makes your skin dry.
- I come from a Middle Eastern heritage, with fair-medium skin, black hair and brown eyes.
- I perceive my skin tone as yellowy, with maybe a hint of Olive. I think the veins on my arms are greenish, but not very distinctly so. They're not blue at least.
- With EDM I had a hard time finding the correct base, but in afterthought I didn't try the Golden bases very thoroughly. I settled on Buff Perfect (1:1 Fairly Light and Fairly Light Neutral I think), although it seemed a bit pinkish. The tone of Olive was closer but too fair and not yellow enough, Linen (1:1 Fairly Light Neutral and Olive, I think) was close also but missed something.
- I'm aiming for my face to match my chest, though my face is a bit pinker than my chest I think probably due to acne etc, though I haven't had more than on the T-area.

I have some questions that I hope you all can help me out with.

- Right now, the mixing base (the Ivory?) feels a bit too dry on my skin, and cakey. Is there anything I can do about this? I've ordered some samples of Perfecting Powder, Ultimate Luxury Powder which I thought might help if I use them as part of the base. Any other suggestions? The EDM Matte base was the one I used and I didn't feel dry with it.
- I've found that on my arms and chest 1:7 Buttery Gold is a really good match. But on my face it turns out a bit pinkish. I tried to go back to 1:6 BG hoping the yellow would balance out the pink, but it didn't help all the way. What can I do about this? I'm not sure whether to go to 1:5 BG or to add yellow color corrector or to do something entirely different.

And I just want to add, I get such a great impression from everyone here at the forum! It feels good to contribute to a business that is so giving, considering the present times!

-Sima
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi Sima, and Welcome to the forum!

I think you are on the right track with the Buttery Gold. As for the turning pink......is it possible it is not olive enough? There is some degree of olive in Buttery Gold, but you might need a touch of Green Booster. I have a feeling if you tried our Olive, it would not be yellow enough, and you would need to add Yellow Booster. We do have several who once wore Buff Perfect that now wear an Olive mix.

This is the driest time of the year for powder foundations. Do you use any types of mist for your face? What about your skincare routine? You just need to be sure you are adding hydration to the skin and sealing it in somehow. I know I have to be extra vigilent about hydrating the skin in the winter.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
nfig

Post by nfig » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi all! I just purchased Ebony but am wondering if that was the right choice. Can you help me please?

JenW

Post by JenW » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:54 pm

nfig wrote:Hi all! I just purchased Ebony but am wondering if that was the right choice. Can you help me please?
You will most likely be Ebony or Olive.......
Ebony about 1 scoop color to 8 scoops Ivory, in Olive about 1 scoop color to about 12 scoops Ivory.
Faves-
cnu2010

Post by cnu2010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Jen and everyone,

I have recently started using mineral makeup and I have not been satisfied with what I've found in the stores, especially for the price. I've never mixed my own foundation and wanted to know if you could help me and recommend the base shade that I would wear. I don't know if this would be helpful, but shades I've worn that have been good matches in other lines are Laura Mercier's Loose Mineral Makeup in Rich Vanilla and Bare Minerals Matte in Medium Tan. In MAC, I am in between NC40 (perfect undertones, but a bit light) and NC42 (a bit orangey). I have also worn C40 in the Studiofix foundation (powder), which is a really good match.

Here is a picture:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... 183857.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!
JenW

Post by JenW » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:28 pm

cnu2010 wrote:Hi Jen and everyone,

I have recently started using mineral makeup and I have not been satisfied with what I've found in the stores, especially for the price. I've never mixed my own foundation and wanted to know if you could help me and recommend the base shade that I would wear. I don't know if this would be helpful, but shades I've worn that have been good matches in other lines are Laura Mercier's Loose Mineral Makeup in Rich Vanilla and Bare Minerals Matte in Medium Tan. In MAC, I am in between NC40 (perfect undertones, but a bit light) and NC42 (a bit orangey). I have also worn C40 in the Studiofix foundation (powder), which is a really good match.

Thanks so much for your help!
Hi,
I am thinking Deep Ebony.....probably at about 1 scoop Deep Ebony:3 to 5 Ivory.
Faves-
Maria_Elvira

Post by Maria_Elvira » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:35 am

Ok so I have purchased a sample kit ( I hope it arrives in the post today :))

But I'm not really sure which colour I am.
I have previously been using EDM Olive medium in summer
and am now using buttered tan for winter...
I have also been using medium beige netural but thought it was a bit too greyish on me...

So suggestions?

The first picutre is in summer when I am more tanned and the second one is in february when I am at my palest :|
And I am not very good at adding pictures as you see :oops: So if it is possible to make them smaller/ minatures and anyone
could perhaps tell me how, that would be great :oops:
Attachments
Havanna.jpg
Havanna.jpg (45.32 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Köpenhamn.jpg
Köpenhamn.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Maria_Elvira wrote:Ok so I have purchased a sample kit ( I hope it arrives in the post today :))

But I'm not really sure which colour I am.
I have previously been using EDM Olive medium in summer
and am now using buttered tan for winter...
I have also been using medium beige netural but thought it was a bit too greyish on me...

So suggestions?

The first picutre is in summer when I am more tanned and the second one is in february when I am at my palest :|
And I am not very good at adding pictures as you see :oops: So if it is possible to make them smaller/ minatures and anyone
could perhaps tell me how, that would be great :oops:
I think Olive is a good place to start.....the only other that might be helpful is Buttery Gold to add in a little yellow.

Start with 1 scoop Olive and 9 scoops white....add a little more white if needed. If it looks likeit is missing yellow, I can help you change it from there.

Welcome to Silk Naturals!
Faves-
sweetjasmine

Post by sweetjasmine » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Jen,

I need your help again. Now that I've discovered that I'm a yellow/peach mix...I would like to salvage some previous mixes where I used Olive. What do you recommend me adding to a 1 olive: 13 ivory mix to achieve a yellowy-peach tone? Should I add some peach, wg or ebony to the mix?