Are the serums safe to use with acne lotion?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
WendyD

Re: Are the serums safe to use with acne lotion?

Post by WendyD » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:54 am

What about prescription acne products? I'm using Clindamycin 4% in Dormer 211 creme, DIfferinXP, and 5% BP every other night (though I've been skipping this lately, my skin is simply too dehydrated for BP right now).
tierra

Post by tierra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:28 pm

what about the Facelift Vitamin C, DMAE & Peptide serum? would this be ok to use with SA? i use the super serum in the morning (with no SA), but need to use SA at night to keep acne in check. would like to add in the DMAE though as my 40 year old skin needs a boost! :lol:
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 pm

I don't know about the acne treatments other than SA......anything BUT Super Serum should work with SA (it is essentially a BHA...Beta Hydroxy Acid). We will have to wait for Karen's input on the others.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
tierra

Post by tierra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 am

JenW wrote:I don't know about the acne treatments other than SA......anything BUT Super Serum should work with SA (it is essentially a BHA...Beta Hydroxy Acid). We will have to wait for Karen's input on the others.
hmmm, this makes me think, i wonder if the BHA toner would give me the same effect as what I am using now. i currently use the burts bees acne line and that has willow bark extract, same active. i knew that about SA being a BHA, but never put 2 & 2 together! worth a try, i suppose! ;)
feyith

Post by feyith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:22 am

I was thinking that too but wasn't sure how toners work.
ezzyb

Post by ezzyb » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:56 am

I also have a serum question!!

I have been using Super Serum with the Hemp Moisturizer, but I have decided to for nighttime, to use a Neutrogena Healthy Skin Intensive Night (which contains a retinoid). Can I use them together? I don't want to waste such a good product, but I just want to check. I liked the Super Serum, but I think I need an extra boost at night to keep the spots away.
feyith

Post by feyith » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Karen, I think I might be allergic to Hemp oil. :(

Is there something similar I could try?
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:57 pm

@ezzyb- the only thing that you can't use retinoids with is another exfoliator- so things like AHA, BHA or the microdermabrasion creams are out, but you're safe with the rest of the SN product line (I'm not sure about other companies, but those are the ones you should avoid in our line).

@Feyith- if hemp isn't your cup of tea you could try the Daily Defense Moisturizer, or the Jojoba moisturizer- they're both made with relatively light oils.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
ezzyb

Post by ezzyb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks Karen! (I'm still so surprised you actually answer questions on the forum , so cool!) I am so pumped I can still use the Super Serum! It made 90% of my skin problems disappear, now its that last pesky 10% I need to get under control. Much like those last 10 pounds...
feyith

Post by feyith » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 pm

That just reminded me; there are some retinoids in a few of my products so I am gonna stop using them for a little bit and test out the serums and Hemp lotion again.