Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Here's a chance to ask makeup mavens about color selection! You can easily add your picture to posts, and get help with all of your specific makeup questions.
awolos

Re: Need Foundation Help? Please post here.......

Post by awolos » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:19 pm

I need foundation help:) I thought I could just mix up my own without knowing anything haha and needless to say it didn't work and it looks grey somehow?? SO I normally wear light olive from EDM does anyone know what would be close to that without being too green that my face looks grey and wierd?? TIA<3
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:15 pm

What did you mix that ended up looking grey on you? And do you have a photo?
Annika

Post by Annika » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:46 am

awolos wrote:I need foundation help:) I thought I could just mix up my own without knowing anything haha and needless to say it didn't work and it looks grey somehow?? SO I normally wear light olive from EDM does anyone know what would be close to that without being too green that my face looks grey and wierd?? TIA<3
Light Olive is quite yellow, it's possible that you'd be better off with Buttery Gold if Olive is too grey for you, or possibly a mix - Olive with Yellow Color Booster is what Jen suggested for me, I wore Light Almond in EDM and Light Olive was a nice match for me in the summer. For now I wear a blend of Olive with just a little Buttery Gold because that's the samples I got and it is a PERFECT match. I never found a match this good in any other brand.

Dont' take my word for it though, it's possible that there is something else missing in your mix as we don't know what your mix is.
1 Olive : 14 Ivory (original) + a smidge of Buttery Gold
stefami

Post by stefami » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi Jen, new question here.
I posted a couple of weeks ago, and tried your suggestions, but apparently I'm harder to match than I thought. I tried the 1 warm gold to to 5 or 6 scoops of ivory, but that was really too pink and dark for me. My previous EDM foundation of Buff- light neutral was a lot more peacher on me than I realized. So instead I am trying 1 buttery gold to about 7 ivory, which is a lot closer, but it seems like I am missing some brown?

So, my question is, what do each of the foundation bases have in them in terms of colors? Like if I am looking for more brown, should I try Olive or Ebony? Or more yellow? I know there are boosters for olive, peach and yellow, but I think understanding the composition of each of the bases will help me understand how to make a better mix. Thanks!
UmEnis

Post by UmEnis » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Annika wrote: For now I wear a blend of Olive with just a little Buttery Gold because that's the samples I got and it is a PERFECT match. I never found a match this good in any other brand.
Annika, you and I have very similar tones from your pic. I thought I got it bang on when I lightened the olive up, but now I'm wondering if I should add a touch of buttery or warm gold to it. When you say a little, how much do exactly you mean?

I know Jen has recommended the yellow color booster, but i'm not in the position to get any right now... so i have to work with what i have (which is buttery gold and yellow gold). Which would be better to tweak the olive with ?

ETA: I don't even see the yellow color booster in the shop? I only can find the green and lavender (I have both by the way--I thought i could use the lavender to "erase" any yellowness before putting on the olive)
CalamityJ

Post by CalamityJ » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi,
Looking for help on a base color.
I have tried EDM's Beige Light Medium - in the summer it's ok but in the winter it looks dirty on my face.
I tan easy in the summer, but become very pale in our dark northern winter.
For undertones, the veins on my eyelids and wrists are purple, or blue-purple.
EDM's buffs were too yellow on me. Cools look too pink on me. Estee Lauder Ivory Beige N2 is a good match on me.
Any help would be appreciated on what to try.
Thanks,
nomakeup
nomakeup
DSC01544.JPG (387.66 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
ega

Post by ega » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:50 am

UmEnis wrote:ETA: I don't even see the yellow color booster in the shop? I only can find the green and lavender
Sounds like you are looking at concealers/correctors and not color boosters. The color boosters are under Foundation -Silk Formula >> Refills:

http://www.silknaturals.com/creb/index.php?cPath=30_140
http://www.silknaturals.com/creb/produc ... cts_id=740
http://www.silknaturals.com/creb/advanc ... ds=booster
Foundation Mix: 3 x Buttery Gold : 2 x Yellow Booster : 0.5 x Green Booster : 57 x Original Ivory : 3 x Glow
Lips: Pure, Ambrosia, Reaction, Chemise, Flaunt, Cerise | Eyes: Grassroots Green, Goddess, Motive, Fuse
pinkfox

Post by pinkfox » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:09 am

Have decided to go back to the drawing board one last try. I had thought an Olive/Ebony mix was the one. Then I had the silly pics we took the first day of school developed and thought definitely not! So I need somewhere to go from here. Excuse the awful pic but it's the only one I have in sunlight with the SN mix. If it helps, Earthen Glow's Zoe was workable, but I much prefer SN! Thanks

Lyn
Know yourself!
See Spot. See Spot Change.
See Doctor... or See Spot Kill.
educate yourself
http://www.mpip.org

Live every day as if it is your LAST chance to make someone happy!
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:12 pm

feyith wrote:Any ex-EDM users have the SN equivalent formulas for Golden Light and Beige Light Medium?

My sis uses an equal part mix of them.

TIA! :D
I don't know if they replied.......but Buttery Gold is a great place for her to start......1:5 or 6....
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
JenW

Post by JenW » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Ryvyan wrote:I use a mix of EDM Buttered Tan and Light Martian as well, and to be honest I'm colour blind when it comes to this :lol: I also use their Peach Color concealer and would like to know a good equivalent (there are a few peaches here but which would be closer in terms of light/dark shades?)

Would appreciate a guide as to what it means when translated into Silk Naturals speak! Thanks <3

p/s: And if it isn't too much, a good substitute for Kaolin Sunlight/NR Med Bronzer/Dusty Miller/Best Friends blush? I probably have enough of these to sustain me for a while but I'm curious and wants to know more! More!! ;)
Since I am more familiar with the EM line of more than two years ago I will not be right on with most of the blush/finisher/concealer recs. I do think Buttery Gold is the right place for you to start with foundation......1 scoop Buttery plus about 7 Ivory.....for that depth probably the Light Peach Sleep in a Jar.... I only vaguely remember Best Friends. Try a sample of Pretty Plum or Desert Plum.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com