SN long handled flat top brush?

Post your favorite tips and tricks, FOTD's, and swap foundation recipes!
Heathcliff79

Re: SN long handled flat top brush?

Post by Heathcliff79 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:06 pm

My favorite cleanser for my synthetic brushes by far has been castille soap. Dr. Bronner's works just fine and it comes in a huge bottle and lasts forever. You only need a tiny drop of it or it will take a really long time to wash out all of the suds (and if there is any of it left, you're more likely to break out). So, I dilute the soap about 1:3 with water in a foamer bottle and that's been perfect -- easy to get all of the makeup off, brushes clean, and still really easy to rinse out (and cheaper than using facial cleanser).

I have used a variety of shampoos and brush cleansers on my brushes (SN included) and have preferred this method above all of them.
Ageha

Post by Ageha » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:32 pm

I use DHC Cleansing oil but I have tried it on one of older blush brushes and it wasn't the same ever since. ): I also use this Japanese creamy cleanser but I don't like the idea of cleaning my brushes with something as creamy as that. D:
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:30 am

Ageha wrote:I use DHC Cleansing oil but I have tried it on one of older blush brushes and it wasn't the same ever since. ): I also use this Japanese creamy cleanser but I don't like the idea of cleaning my brushes with something as creamy as that. D:
Yes, the cleansers you use would not be right for brush washing. Can you obtain even a bar of castille soap? It does not have to be Bronner's brand or expensive. It will last you just about forever, too. The baby shampoo will work for a while. You can always clean with a little alcohol (on a cloth...don't dunk it in alcohol) once in a while to get rid of buildup.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
pinkpomelo

Post by pinkpomelo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:26 am

just wanted to say: I LOVE THE LONG HANDLED FLAT TOP BRUSH!

I have a EDM one, and I really didn't think I wanted to spend that much on another one. But... its Christmas, so I splurged. And I am sooo happy I did! I can't explain why, but even though both are synthetic, its NOT the same.

The SN one really picks up the foundation with just one tap. With the EDM, I had to tap tap tap a few times, swirl a bit... you know?

But my uber love must be reserved for the... KABUKI!

Oh. My. Gosh.

That baby is soooooo soft and I just can't stop running it all over my face. And like the Flat Top, it picks up powder sooooo well.

I showed my co-workers and the buggers passed it around and just tried it over and over... so I had to go home and wash it AGAIN. :D
faithtoh.blogspot.com
Currently foundation formula: 1 Warm Gold + 1 Ebony + 5 Heavy Ivory
Oil Control Blur Finishing Powder
Pristine Perfecting Powder or Date Bait
Ageha

Post by Ageha » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:36 am

JenW: I've never heard of castille soap and I'm not sure where I could buy one. I'll probably shop around this week. I do have organic pure olive oil soap from KISS. Would that be a possible option? I've always thought using alcohol would be harmful for brushes but it appears to be quite a popular method! Do I wipe with alcohol on a cloth? I'm not sure how to do it.

pinkpomelo: I'm so glad you like the brushes! I finally gave in and bought the SN long handled flat top. I can't wait for it to arrive! However, your enthusiasm for the kabuki makes me want it too! Hahaha.
JenW

Post by JenW » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:26 am

The Olive Oil Soap will work well. Castille Soap is just a kind of real soap (like the Olive Oil Soap)...without detergents (like SLS).

The alcohol really only works for synthetic bristles. Just put some alcohol on a cloth and then rub the brush on the cloth. Only use alcohol when you have a sufficient time for it to dry (like overnight) so all the alcohol will evaporate before you use it on your face.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
yogingineer

Post by yogingineer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:38 pm

I got my flat top yesterday and used it today. I'm pleased to say that it does make a difference to how the makeup looks and how much foundation you use when applying. In other words... "Yes, you do need this brush" :D
7 Ivory: 1.5 BG: 0.5 Olive... for now...
Ageha

Post by Ageha » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:42 am

I got mine today and it's super super soft. A lot softer than the EDM flat top. I'm not sure how to clean with olive oil soap. Do I swipe it on the soap bar? I did forget to mention mine was a soap bar. Silly me. Am I supposed to wash my brushes before I use them? I've been negligent and just using them without washing first. =X

Edit: I just used the SN flat top and I could already tell the difference when swirling it in the bowl. It picks up foundation extremely well. And it doesn't eat up the foundation like the EDM flat top. I think this one is a keeper! :D
pinkpomelo

Post by pinkpomelo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:11 am

Ageha wrote:I got mine today and it's super super soft. A lot softer than the EDM flat top. I'm not sure how to clean with olive oil soap. Do I swipe it on the soap bar? I did forget to mention mine was a soap bar. Silly me. Am I supposed to wash my brushes before I use them? I've been negligent and just using them without washing first. =X

Edit: I just used the SN flat top and I could already tell the difference when swirling it in the bowl. It picks up foundation extremely well. And it doesn't eat up the foundation like the EDM flat top. I think this one is a keeper! :D
I agree. I was blown away by how well it grips the foundation.

I suppose it varies from person to person, but I wash my brushes everytime I use them (liquid), or every other week (powders). I also wash new brushes. I can't say for sure what goes on in the factory, but they've come a long way from there to Singapore, so just for my peace of mind, I wash them before using. I'm the same way with new clothes. I'll wash them first. :)

Merry Christmas Ladies!
faithtoh.blogspot.com
Currently foundation formula: 1 Warm Gold + 1 Ebony + 5 Heavy Ivory
Oil Control Blur Finishing Powder
Pristine Perfecting Powder or Date Bait
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:28 am

Ageha wrote:I got mine today and it's super super soft. A lot softer than the EDM flat top. I'm not sure how to clean with olive oil soap. Do I swipe it on the soap bar? I did forget to mention mine was a soap bar. Silly me. Am I supposed to wash my brushes before I use them? I've been negligent and just using them without washing first. =X
I wash my brushes before I use them, but you're probably okay. I use Castille soap on my face anyway (it's soap made from olive oil), and wet the brush and swipe it across the soap bar a few times, then mush it around in the palm of my hand to get the powder out, then rinse - a LOT. Then mush it around again to make sure all the soap is out, then squeeze the water out with a microfibre cloth and either lay the brush flat or downward tilted if I can to dry it.

For powder brushes, if you wipe them clean with a dry microfibre cloth after use, that helps too. I wash eye brushes and brushes for liquid stuff every time i use them, powder brushes once a week.