Rolling in Minerals, ROFL! :-)

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
~*mikie*~

Rolling in Minerals, ROFL! :-)

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:19 pm

This intrepid reporter is home from the front, VERY happy,LOL! I emailed the pics all to Karen so she can PhotoShop them & post whatever she chooses. Got pics of her mother (whom I just loved!) & family & employees & from our board, JenW & her sister...pics of a wall of minerals,LOL...I was ITCHING to 'get at that wall of tubs',hehe. Bought a *bunch* & will have a BALL tomorrow. Had sooooooo much fun helping brand new customers pick out colors to try that I thought would look great on them ~ it was a rare treat to be able to enable in *person*, LOL! I am so NOT a party animal & I'm REALLY very shy, but this was a HOOT! Hope Karen posts the pics! You're in for a treat! I can't make them small enough to upload...really have no clue what I'm doing, ROFL!
mikie
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
krenee

Re: Rolling in Minerals, ROFL! :-)

Post by krenee » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:40 pm

That was a fast report! You must live very close to there. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm about an hour & a half away ~ we got lost on the way,lol ~ but our excursion took us over an old covered bridge....an old wooden one...so it was neat. My hubby said it was the scenic route ;-). Bless his heart, he sat on a bench in front of the barber shop watching a steady stream of women going into the chocolate shop for the tasting,ROFL!

I was in hog heaven with all the minerals & colors right out there to *play* with! Everybody was super-duper nice & down to earth. I'll tell you, it was *magic* watching the women's faces light up when they tried something that was right for them! One woman came in in a magenta dress ~ *very* nice bone structure, attractive woman ~ she didn't wear makeup, but she *lit up* when she tried Tart (new blush dupe based on Bobbi Brown's) & Damsel KisserSlicker...then she wanted to look at e/s...she has great large eyes & didn't want much shimmer...I encouraged her to try 3 from the Stonewashed Nudes pallette ~ I was so proud when she had her package in her hand, I asked if I could take her picture with Karen. She was surprised but happily said yes. It was so much different from being in Sephora...a different *kind* of electric energy in the air. I'm awfully glad to have been able to go.

Karen's got a large map on one wall with pushpin flags in different countries she's shipped to ~ 15 so far, I think she said. The antique building with the fabulous tin ceiling, the hardwood floor, the very homey HUGE pitcher of homemade iced-tea...it was just my kind of place! DEFINITELY my kind of minerals,lol, but you all know that already!

mikie
~*mikie*~

krenee

Post by krenee » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:21 pm

You did such a nice job of describing - I can actually see the room - it really does sound like a lot of fun. How neat for people who've never tried the makeup before to actually get to try on the colors and see how they look in them, and how cool for people who *have* tried the colors to be able to see the actual place. I will be on the lookout for your photos. Your hubby is sweet to accompany you and patiently wait. My husband has accompanied me on many a shopping trip too.
I am glad you all had fun today - it is prom here today and my neighbors across the street have teenagers so I have been watching the kids go off to prom. It makes me feel old (sniff sniff) - I think partly because it has been 20 years ago this year that I graduated from high school (I am giving away my age here - yes I know) so it makes me a little sad... so I am glad to be able to read your story about something cool and fun going on today. :)
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:09 pm

Mikie
Sounds like fun, I love old buildings and was able to picture this one, thanks to your description. I can imagine how fun it must be to watch newbies discover the wonderful world of minerals, and we all know how meuch fun we having playing with new colors, techniques etc when we get our packages in the mail. Will look forward to seeing pictures.

It is prom season everywhere, went our to dinner with DH and friends tonight, and there were several teenage couple there , having dinner in their formal wear before they went to prom. It is fun to watch them and see them all "grown -up". If you think 20 years ageo was a long time ago, I'll trade you, the last time I thougt about attending a prom was 34 years ago, and yes if you do the math, I just told my age also.

Hollis
JenW

Post by JenW » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi, Ladies!

I just got home from New York today. It was such a fun trip. I have pics to share, too, but need to catch up with my family today. Mikie is so cute. I just absolutely enjoyed her enthusiasm. It definitely spilled over to the local people who were first discovering Silk Naturals. Also, I got to meet all of Karen's staff on Friday except for Lily who handles the shipping. They are all such wonderful people.

Jamie, the Production Manager, has been with the company a little over a year, and Karen says that 'Silk Naturals would not be here without her.' I can definitely see why. She is a little quiet when you first meet her, but a hard worker and extremely flexible. I really do not think anything phases her. With the growth the company has experienced in the last year, I am sure she has had to adapt on a weekly basis!

Sue is just plain fun. She can accomplish a ton with her endless energy. Also, she is incredibly friendly and likable. I am pretty sure she just fills in wherever there is a need. She is very creative with naming products and encouraging new ones to be released.

Nigel is the lippie guy. He is going off to college in the fall, but is a great addition to the group. He has endless energy and curiosity, and just likes to be busy.

And then there is our Karen! She is such a dedicated gal! She really loves to make her customers happy. I think that truly is her ultimate goal. She is also very gifted in duping the colors we want. I have seen her bin of products from the 'Big Dog' companies, and I think there is enough in there to give us new colors......for a while, anyway! :D I appreciate her genuine desire to help women feel beautiful. She is just an all around class act. I think it shows in the quality of her products and the dedication of her staff, as well as the growth her company has seen in the last year. I am pretty sure it is over 40 countries she has shipped to at this point.

I am done gushing for now! I will post some pics in the next few days!
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:44 pm

You forgot to mention Jen- foundation mixing guru, and mineral queen! And really- Mikie is an honorary Silk Naturals girl too! I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm really just the bus driver- I make the makeup, and all of our wonderful, talented, extremely amazing helpers make the rest happen!

I've gotten pretty practiced at being able to help people pick colors by reading their emails, or talking to them on the phone- but in real life- it's a bit different, and this weekend was really the first time that we did any sort of retail like that. The last time I really sold anything it was envelopes- so it was a real learning experience! Thank goodness Jen, Mikie, Sue, and Jamie were there- or I would have been lost. I'm such a nerd (in a good way- I think)- I've been going over new formulas and recipes for things for weeks- and that's really my comfort zone.

I've got to get some sleep, but thank you all for coming. It was an absolute blast and I hope that we can do it again!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 am

True confession time,LOL! I am SHY, *really* shy! NO gift of gab here, & my only experience at sales was at a wonderful department store selling handmade rugs MANY years ago! I've been working with the disabled for the past 32 years, so that gives you a clue HOW long ago,LOL!

Saturday morning, I was *pumped*!!! My long-scheduled haircut appt was for 7:30 A.M. & that's always a fun time. David, who cuts my hair, always makes the appt fun. I wanted my makeup to be PERFECT...I knew Karen would be checking out how her heavier-coverage foundation that I'm testing was "performing" for me. I realized that after the haircut, I'd need to come home & re-do since (no matter what!) there would be those pesky little hairs all over my face. I slapped on a face just mixing my foundation with my Regenerist serum instead of my normal spritzed method. When I got home between 8:30 & 9, I towelled off all those pesky little hairs & then debated about starting from square 1 as I'd intended. Hubby had commandeered our only bathroom, & I knew as soon as *he* was ready, we'd be off....so that was the end of my re-fluffing idea! Karen would just have to meet me after my makeup had already "performed" for 9 hours AND had withstood the towelling off of the hairs, hehe.

Everybody I met at the studio on Saturday appeared to have FLAWLESS skin....FLAWLESS! Natural beauty & beauty from *within* certainly as well, but also a testament to the makeup itself! Wait til you see the pics; the makeup is *flawless* & invisible on the skin.

I came home with a LOT of loot,LOLOL!!! Had NO hot water yesterday :o & had to settle on a COLD shower & was decidely NOT a happy camper. I am 54 years old & NOT happy with "roughing it" as I might've been able to do in my 20s! No fluff yesterday after that COLD shower EXCEPT for Lovelace blush & VeryBerry lippie!

Cannot WAIT to fluff this morning!

WHERE is our Rhys? I was so hoping to meet her Saturday,too!

mikie
~*mikie*~

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:55 am

Rhys was being sick for her b'day with blood sugar ick and a fibromyalgia flare :(

Gak. I wanted to meet you all, too.

Mikie, you need to be a makeup artist - I don't do it full-time, but I LOVE being able to see somebody, know what's gonna work, and then do them over :) Ooh, fun fun fun and they always like it too - and they can't believe it's that simple, but most of it is :)

I'm so sorry I missed you all! I think I killed myself doing the packing (which is mostly done now), and I'm headed home on Thursday (will do a small load of washing and finish the odds & sods packing Tuesday, and rest today and Wednesday), but I'll definitely get up there next trip - maybe I'll make it my first stop! It would've been a lot more fun than New York was, but I wasn't in any shape to climb onto a bus - so sorry.

I'm glad it went terrific, though!
~*mikie*~

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Happy Belated Birthday, Rhys!!! So sorry you were sickly & even sorrier we missed each other at the shindig! Can you IMAGINE the excitement/mischief we could stir up between us? ROFL! EVERYBODY'd be fluffed, hehe...we could've done sidewalk makeovers! Easy enough ~ bench right there in front of the barber shop (which was closed), STEADY stream of women hotfooting it into the chocolate shop for the tasting next door ~ we could've tackled them as they came out, sated with chocolate! Jen & her sister are drop-dead gorgeous & *NICE* ~ didn't appear as much into mischief-making as I was,LOL, so I really needed another imp like I am! Seriously, we missed you, & should there ever be another opportunity, NO flares had better bother you!

mikie
~*mikie*~