Brushes

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
tizzylou

Brushes

Post by tizzylou » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:33 am

I need to get a new brush. my old Kabuki is starting to shed rather heavily,so after 3-4 years with the same brush it is time to invest in a new one. My question is which brush do you use to put on your foundation with the most, and why do you like it so much. and where you got it, so I have an idea as to where to start to l look for brushes.

I got my kabuki at Killarny's which is the local skin spa here in town, but they have changed brands and I don't like the feel of the new one, plus a very good friend of mine says hers is shedding quite a bit so that is not an option.

Any and all sugestion are welcome.

Hollis
~*mikie*~

Re: Brushes

Post by ~*mikie*~ » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi, Hollis!

I LOVE synthetic brushes! They are softer by far than any natural-hair brush I own, softer than my squirrel ones. I have several synthetic kabukis but I don't own the one(s) Karen offers. I'm currently enamored of my synthetic flat-top kabuki (aDesign) for applying foundation. Rounded kabukis, even synthetic ones, generally give light coverage...which is fine with a heavier foundation or if you have very little to conceal. At my age,LOL, I need a little more coverage ~ so the flat-top synthetic kabuki strikes a happy medium. Regular flat-top brushes are too small for me ~ I'm a kabuki gal who makes quick work of applying foundation. Karen's set of brushes is also in my arsenal & I use a few of them daily for blush, finishing (DateBait+Love Lure),etc. I have a few of Karen's ultimate e/s brushes, of course! I do tend to buy brushes in pairs, LOL, since I wash brushes very often...& because I just always buy multiples of things :oops: !

mikie
lil mikie lil abie.jpg
lil mikie lil abie.jpg (2.6 KiB) Viewed 4312 times
Live! Love! Laugh! They'll wonder what we're up to!
~*mikie*~

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
(click daily ~ it's free! Click animal rescue there,too!)
we can make THE difference! :-)
JenW

Post by JenW » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:40 pm

I am working up to owning the synthetics that Karen offers. I do like synthetics for most applications. I still need more shapes and such for eyes and blush. I tend to get synthetic craft brushes as well as a few drugstore natural hair ones to fill out my arsenal. I firmly believe the proper tools make all the difference, and I need a bunch to get the job done right. I also do not think you need a super expensive brush to have great quality and functionality.
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Autumn

Post by Autumn » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:09 pm

I love kabukis for foundation. I have two full size Kabukis that are synthetic that I use everyday. I also have two baby bukis; one is from Karen. The babies are great for small areas...side of nose, eye area and great for touching up one area. I have a few taklon concealer brushes and I use those for spot concealer and one for using Sleep in a Jar on my blueish circles.

I do recommend Karen's ultimate eye shadow brush. I have lots of eye shadow brushes from all sorts of places.

I will be ordering synthetic flat tops in a prebuy. I will see if there is a big difference between using a flat top and kabuki.

I like using fibre optic brushes for blush. I am quite fair.

I am slowly replacing all my brushes; powder, etc. to synthetic. Synthetic is just so much softer.
teresad1960

Post by teresad1960 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Hey Hollis,
I am one who needs heavier coverage. The SN flat top is awesome for this! I have lots of brushes and this one is softer than some I have paid much more for. If you want other brushes while you are buying, the ultimate eye shadow brush is also a must have. The set Karen offers is great as well.

Teresa
JenW

Post by JenW » Thu May 08, 2008 11:14 pm

Hollis,
I have to report back on the SN flat top. It is now my favorite flat top. Others I have tried are the old natural hair from EM which shed like crazy and they replaced with thier synthetic flat top. The one Karen sells has bristles that are a bit shorter. I think it is less floppy and easier to control. It has my vote for foundation!

JenW
Your Silk Naturals Forum Cruise Director!
1Olive:14 Ivory
Faves-
Lips: Maiden & Nectar
Eyes: Phantom, Linen, & Fusion + Tarnish
Skincare: BHA & Awesome Sauce
Email a pic for foundation help: colorquestions dot silkmakeup at gmail dot com
Rhys

Post by Rhys » Fri May 09, 2008 7:27 pm

I like the flat top for foundation too, but in a pinch (or if you need to replace everything and money's a bit tight) the 7-piece brush set biggest brush is very kabuki-like with a handle - I've used that too and it works quite well. But for everyday, I use the flat top.
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Fri May 09, 2008 8:33 pm

I replaced my shedding Kabbuki with the SN kabbuki, however it just got here yesterday, so was still drying this morning when I was doing my "fluffing", so will have to try it in the AM. I'm still considering getting the flat top, but jlust haven't made up my mind yet. I also own the ultimate eye shadow brush and the foiling brush. I to still need other brushes to do my eyes, so have quite assortment of eyeshadow brushes, some synnthetic and some natural hair. I also just got the fiber optic brush, used it this AM and really like it, I have the old EDM one and I agree with Jen, it is floppy and hard to use, but this one is great.
Thanks for all your brush recomendations. :)

Hollis
Xarata

Post by Xarata » Sat May 10, 2008 1:31 am

For synthetic flat tops, i've tried the newest lumiere long handled buffer, the newest EDM synthetic flat top (which is pretty), and the FF Long Handle Flat Top (which SN sells). The FF one cannot be beat and has (IMO) the perfect density to head size/diameter, to bristle length ratio. The other two, synthetic that they are, are not the right density and are just too floppy. If you'd like to try a flat top (i am a kabuki to Flat Top convert and have had mine for about a year) , the FF one that Karen sells is definitely the way to go. It is my fav.
Samantha
"Are you a master of your destiny or a slave to your fear..."

Can't live without colors: Highbeam, Homecoming Queen, Sassy, & Cider

http://sapphiresandstilettos.blogspot.com
http://xarataproject.blogspot.com