What's for dinner???

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
karen
Site Admin

What's for dinner???

Post by karen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:59 pm

We eat takeout a lot more often than we should...the biggest issue for me is menu planning. The cooking I can do, but figuring out what to cook is tough.

So I thought maybe starting a what's for dinner thread would be cool- that way we can get some ideas from each other.

Last night was lamb kebabs with a couscous and cucumber salad, and tzatziki sauce (grated cucumber mixed with plain yogurt, and some herbs). Tonight is warm beef salads with homemade garlic croutons.

Tomorrow I'm going to recycle the beef leftovers into spring rolls- a really easy no cook dinner.

I never cook this well- I'm just inspired from vacation, and all of the produce at the roadside stands this time of year.

How about you?? What's for dinner??
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
ladycattat

Re: What's for dinner???

Post by ladycattat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 pm

hubby is way tired and I'm in a lot of fibro pain tonite so we are lazy. Jarred pasta sauce with fresh herbs from our garden mixed with turkey sausage over ziti noodles. Frozen garlic bread, bagged salad with our fresh tomatoes. Probably ice creams from the truck. We have about 12 different ice cream trucks up and down our block between 1pm and 730. It's crazy.
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
lov2read68

Post by lov2read68 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:03 pm

DH made a fabulous Chicken Coconut Curry with Couscous tonight. I'm lucky in that dinner is ready most evenings when I get home from the office. DH works out of the home. I like Rachel Ray cookbooks as a fast jumping off point for menu planning. Plan menus a week at a time. Usually have several tried & true standbys & at least one new recipe a week to try & build up the recipe arsenal. Looking forward to hearing what others have in their dinner arsenal!
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Going back and forth between fully and partially raw, I roasted fresh farmers market egglpants with onion, garlic and olive oil in the oven for an hour and will cook it up with tomatoes, herbs and red wine to serve with with or without (vegan) italian sausages. I just spiral some zucchini and will cook some noodles for the boy. Oh, + salad :)
http://rainydaygal.com/2010/03/16/spicy ... -marinara/

My blender broke the other day (pain!!!), but as soon as it's back, I'll start making pureed veggie soups more often. It's not a summer without gazpacho and cucumber dill soup!
tizzylou

Post by tizzylou » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Since my DH hasn't worked for almost 8 months, ( due to health issue's , not the economy), he usually has supper ready by the time I get home from work. Tonight was taco salad, complete with tomatoes from our garden. We will probably take advantage of Village Inn's free pie night later for dessert, as our treat for the week.

I'm off tomorrow, so it will be my day cooking. Most likely French's onion chicken with fresh vegs, from our garden. The cantaloupe and watermelon are ready here, so will go the local farm market and pick some up, while I'm out running around in the morning.

Karen, Thanks for starting this thread. I get tired of the samething all the time, so hopefully I will come up with some new ideas.

As a tip to help cut back on eating out or doing takeout alot, when both of us are working I use my crockpot alot, since I can usually assemble the ingreds. the night before , refrig. over night, and then start in the morning before I leave for work.
karen
Site Admin

Post by karen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 am

I'm sorry to hear about your DH Tizzy...I hope he regains some of his health.

Your gardens are making me jealous! The family green-thumb skipped me completely....the one time I got some tomatoes to grow DH killed them accidentally.

Tonight's dinner was "Italian Stir Fry"- essentially stir fry, but with some Italian herbs, and a sauce made out of white wine, balsamic vinegar, and a little worchester sauce, and I served it over orzo. It was actually really yummy.

Dessert was some fresh peaches that I sauteed with a little bit of cinnamon, and then I made it into sort of a quesadilla. I was going for a pie type thing but without making an actual pie. You really can't go wrong with fresh peaches.

I watched a nouvelle cuisine tv show yesterday, so I was feeling a little creative.

Chicken breast was on sale this week....so that's what we'll be eating for the next few days. Anyone have any good chicken recipes??

I also found a really cool website...www.eatingwell.com
They have a ton of easy healthy recipes!
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
egerandi

Post by egerandi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Peach quesadilla, nice one!

I've been making a lot of eggplant and zucchini dishes: ratatouille and calabacitas, for the most part, changing up the herbs a bit. I have to get my window-sill herb garden going, so I can vary it even more :)

Oh yeah, blender is back, and I can't wait to try a minted zucchini cream soup and an eggplant cream soup (with chickpeas) I found the other day. Settling into our new home means more prepping and cooking to come :)