Summer Reading...again!

Come in and hang-out with the girls! All off topic posts go here.
karen
Site Admin

Summer Reading...again!

Post by karen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 pm

It's time for me to top off my Kindle for the Summer, and I'm wondering if anyone read anything great over the winter?

I'm looking for fun, beach reads- nothing too difficult to chew on, but still interesting. Last summer I read the Steig Larsson series- the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and that was FANTASTIC.

I can also highly recommend Bossypants by Tina Fey if you like edgy (ie women who curse) gals- it's hilarious. There's also My Life in France by Julia Child- probably one of the best books I've ever read.

Hmmm....any suggestions?

Last Summer you gals hooked me up with a ton of great ones, and they were WONDERFUL.
"If it doesn't keep me up at night- it's not worth doing"- Ina Garten
lambchop

Re: Summer Reading...again!

Post by lambchop » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:59 am

Hmm...
What a query. If you're not averse to YA reading, The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean and Gifts by Ursula Le Guin are both neato. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson and Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson are both snappy.

Ann
(friendly librarian) :geek:
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Tim O'Brien's Tomcat in Love. I love his other novels, but they aren't exactly light, summer reading. This book, however, is! A delusional male who thinks ALL women should be in love with him. I found myself laughing out loud frequently with this one.

The May Bird series by Jodi Lynn Anderson. These are YA, but definitely enjoyable (I read them to make sure they were okay for my daughter--found myself loving the books!). May Bird and her cat, Somber Kitty, fall in a lake and find themselves in the Ever After, and must find a way home.

Currently reading Woody Guthrie's biography, Bound for Glory. Loving it so far!
~Tracy~
extemter

Hunger Games, Mindy Kaling, Anthony Bourdain, Ruth Reichl

Post by extemter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Have you read The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins? (Book 2 is Catching Fire. Book 3 is Mockingjay.) Like Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, The Hunger Games is action-packed, intelligent, and dark. It's the most recent blockbuster book series. By blockbuster, I mean that it's a cultural phenomenon like the Harry Potter and Twilight series that are more widely known among those who are not avid readers. The movie adaptations of these series go on to become box office hits, of course, but the fandoms started with the books.

For another comedienne, try the 27-page excerpt from Mindy Kaling's upcoming book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (releases Nov 1, 2011). Like Bossypants, Kaling's book is a collection of short, humorous essays. Other funnywomen to browse include Chelsea Handler, Sarah Silverman, and Kathy Griffin.

As a companion to Julia Child's works, Julie & Julia showcases Julie Powell's self-deprecating humor. For foul-mouthed reflections on the culinary industry, you might enjoy Anthony Bourdain. For comparatively soothing ponderings on food, check out Ruth Reichl. For culinary journalism (rather than memoirs like Bourdain and Reichl), I recommend Michael Ruhlman.

If you're craving more Paris in a seemingly light yet satisfying novel, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins is a contemporary teen romance that realistically develops and doesn't base the whole foundation of a relationship upon insta-love or lust. (As an aside, I cackled at how the author parodied Nicholas Sparks as Anna's dad.)
ChristineLynnP

Post by ChristineLynnP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:55 pm

I was going to recommend The Hunger Games series too. I just finished the second book, Catching Fire, and I am in love with this series. I'm going to put it in writing, final answer, that these are officially my favorite books (yes, trumping even The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I pushing so hard-core last summer).

A lot of people love the Game Of Thrones series too. I did buy the first one, but haven't started it yet. Since reading The Hunger Games, it's fallen to the wayside. I just downloaded Mockingjay, and when I'm done that, I might go back and read the series all over again. I am so excited for the movies to come out. I like Harry Potter, and I like the Twilights series (books, somehow I don't think I'd care for the movies), but for me they pale in comparison to The Hunger Games.

I also read Water For Elephants before I started THG series, and I really enjoyed that too.
Check us out on etsy: www.titanweave.etsy.com
zooeyblue

Post by zooeyblue » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:21 pm

ChristineLynnP wrote:I also read Water For Elephants before I started THG series, and I really enjoyed that too.
I loved Water For Elephants. I haven't read The Hunger Games yet, but I have heard praise for this series.
~Tracy~
JenK

Post by JenK » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:13 pm

I just reread the Rachel Morgan Series by Kim Harrison b/c the last book was so awesome. Another easy read series I love is October Daye by Seanan McGuire. I can't WAIT for the new one to come out. Just thought of another series that doesn't get old; Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews. Still stays great even w/ the main characters getting together (I hate when I book stinks after the characters find love).
extemter

Smart Pop Books: Stephanie Plum, Millennium Trilogy

Post by extemter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:50 am

While browsing Smart Pop Books, I saw two titles that reminded me of you:
Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays on the Life, Loves, and Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
and
The Psychology of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Understanding Lisbeth Salander and Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Trilogy.

I don't know if you would qualify these essays as fun beach reading, but I would describe them as interesting!
ladycattat

Post by ladycattat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi Karen, I don't know if you have ever read any of the *Bones* books by Kathy Reichs....well, she has just written a YA book called Virals. It turns out that the protagonist in this story is none other than the great-neice of Temperence Brennan. I read it first to make sure it was acceptable for my 11 yr old, and really enjoyed it.
Another author I just discovered this year writes an urban fantasy series called the *The Weather Wardens*. The author's name is Rachel Caine....and at last count I think there are 9 books. You can get them on kindle, but they are pretty expensive. You can also find them new or used on Amazon.com. A good online friend and I have been taking turns buying them, reading them, and then trading them back and forth.
It's easier for you to google them than for me to try to explain them, but I think you would really like them.
HTH,
Laurie
Summer,2012
90 Medium
5 BG
5.5 yellow

HG: Sheer Zinc Powder
and Equalizer
E/S..Spellbound, Adorn, and Juiced,
Lips: Roxie,Kinetic, Fascinate, Glacier, Nice Tan

There cannot be a crisis until next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger
JenK

Post by JenK » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:28 pm

ladycattat wrote:Another author I just discovered this year writes an urban fantasy series called the *The Weather Wardens*. The author's name is Rachel Caine....and at last count I think there are 9 books.
I was bummed when this series ended. Its side series (Outcast Season) is pretty good too.